Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: OP:C, The Exercise Thread  (Read 6895 times)

Wideman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: OP:C, For Pain and Glory!
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2010, 04:11:33 pm »

i stopped in april at that point i had broken my arms and i fractured my left femur in an car accident im lucky to survive from but im slowly revovering :/ we actually quite rapidly tbh
but meh my fault for being stupid XD
buit at the momoent ive managed to lose 2 st in a month with these meds i got from a doctor and using my weight bench and doing press ups + side stands, pull ups and sit ups.... haven't really got the will power to do cardio but i do want to soon i hope XP
hmmmm you should be very afraid.... The computers around the world have eyes and ears and theyre plotting against the human race in theyre binary chants

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2010, 04:16:40 pm »

All right, I've gotten to the point where a two-hour training session leaves me feeling fine the next day.  Now I'm moving on to doing this daily in preparation for doing this in a couple months.  That, of course, is to lay the groundwork for more practice sessions (there's another cheap dojo nearby, so I'd be able to go three times a week)--and there's the strength-training practice (four hours) that happens once every few months, as well as tournaments.  Whew.

I'm also trying to add yoga/bellydancing/zen meditation to my current exercises, to improve my breathing, concentration, and core strength.  With luck, those should all improve my kendo and get me prepped for the November test.

I'll note that this is less about sculpting my body and more about hitting people with sticks, though  ::)  Fitness and a toned body are happy side effects.

Meh.  I'm 5'4" and 105-107 lbs or so right now (I've gained a couple pounds of muscle).  I don't particularly care how heavy I get, as long as I don't end up any fatter.

buit at the momoent ive managed to lose 2 st in a month with these meds i got from a doctor and using my weight bench and doing press ups + side stands, pull ups and sit ups.... haven't really got the will power to do cardio but i do want to soon i hope XP

Haha, you're lucky.  I can't do a single full pushup or pullup because I just don't have the upper body and core strength at the moment.  Got to work on those, as well as getting some reasonable shoulder muscle on me :D
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Wideman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2010, 04:35:00 pm »

yeah when they let me out of the hospital i really couldnt move i missed about 3 weeks of important GCSE prep  (like yeah as if i cared) but i couldnt do a single one until atleast 4weeks after the accident...  and during that time i put alot of weight on even though i do eat quite healthy but i just dont lead that much of an active lifestyle.... ok well maybe a gig every fortnight ( oh yeah if any one lives in wales my band got a gig on in BANGOR on monday its a big on might get signed) and od outdoor activity but im quite lazy tho
hmmmm you should be very afraid.... The computers around the world have eyes and ears and theyre plotting against the human race in theyre binary chants

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2010, 06:58:00 pm »

You can do Kendo without being able to do a pushup? You must be really agile, or it must be a whole different muscle group. My 'Fu required pushups and a whole lot of mid-section training, but it wasn't a serious course.

Update: Since the pool has been closed for giant-dome-removal, I haven't put effort into cardio, and shifted my focus more on lifting. This current work schedule leaves me dead tired after the three 12 hour days, and it'd be safe not to work out the day before. Unfortunately, the day after leaves me really tired too, leaving only two days to exercise. It's been a couple of months, but I wonder if leg training, or finding a way to stand for hours on end would make the adjustment go faster. It also leaves my back and shoulders tight, but some days are better than others.

On a great note, my biceps have considerable improvement in appearance, and I've gone from 8 70 pound reps to 12, which is a 50% increase since the beginning? I'm not sure if rep increases are improvement the same way weight increases are. I'm at the cusp of adding weight to the chest press, but I wonder if I should feel completely comfortable with my current weight before I move up ten pounds on each side.
In terms of sculpture artistry, I've been aiming for the straight-tone that expands at the pecs (limited lats), but it's turning into sort of an hourglass shape, as I'm losing weight faster than I'm gaining abs and obliques, so I plan on upping the mid-section exercise. The breakdancing will be put on hold till the end of summer, but I'll occasionally check on my ability to hold myself up with my arms.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2010, 10:19:30 pm »

You can do Kendo without being able to do a pushup? You must be really agile, or it must be a whole different muscle group. My 'Fu required pushups and a whole lot of mid-section training, but it wasn't a serious course.

Kendo actually works the entire body, but pectorals don't get much to do.  Realistically, you flex them a tiny bit at the end of a downswing or when you're shoving someone away, but the real work tends to be focused more in the forearms/triceps for the swing, entire lower body+core for the stomp/lunge/footwork, and lower back/calves for ramming.

Addendum: actually, it seems that I can do a couple now, but I'm going to have to work up to more.  The sensei occasionally order to you to drop and give them some number (armored!) if you fuck up too badly.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: OP:C, The Exercise Thread
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2010, 10:31:08 pm »

(constructively)
If you currently suck at doing pushups, do the regular kind, and then push yourself to try the knuckle kind. You'll be so pround of yourself for getting those caught up with your normal kind :P

God pushups suck to start up again...I replaced it with separating the muscle groups
While talking to AJ:

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2010, 10:35:38 pm »

(constructively)
If you currently suck at doing pushups, do the regular kind, and then push yourself to try the knuckle kind. You'll be so pround of yourself for getting those caught up with your normal kind :P

God pushups suck to start up again...I replaced it with separating the muscle groups

Hey, thanks for the info.  As for me, I can't stand just exercising without doing anything constructive, so separating muscle groups is a no-go (especially because I tend to bust blood vessels when I use machines).  Pushups it is!  I'll have to try to start doing them throughout the day.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2010, 06:31:57 am »

Now I feel bad for living in an almost HFCS-free environment and still being overweight.

Oh well. Maybe I'll jog to school or something.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2010, 09:20:39 am »

Do your muscles and your brain a favor and breath out during the most strenuous part of the movement (eccentric phase) and breath in during the concentric phase. DO NOT hold your breath! There is danger in holding your breath while lifting weights. Exhaling during the exertion phase lowers your internal pressure, while failing to breath correctly can lead to broken blood vessels, as well as a hernia.
My Google-Fu showed most of the people who had burst blood vessels from exercise were in the eyes and nose, although some people had red lines in the area they exercised and believe they are burst vessels. Eugh.

The general responses were to remember to breathe in during the build-up, and breathe out when doing the release, I'd guess sort of like doing the yell when you attack. This is also good for lifting boxes or other heavy things. Others said to reduce the weights, and finally some said it's a normal thing that your body will stop doing after a while. I don't quite trust that last one though. Of course, after that, you get the people who are equivalently saying things on the line of 'you lose weight by chewing sugarless gum instead of Wrigley's' that Acai and certain vitamins will help with that. Acai is great for you, but that not amazing.

Finally, it could be your form, or sheer overexertion. One day push-ups gave me a very sudden, very painful headache, and I believe it was from having too much strain on my neck and shoulders, with push-ups adding the last bit to set it off. I don't personally know much about blood vessels, but form and balancing what muscle groups you train could really help.
While talking to AJ:

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2010, 01:40:04 pm »

Finally, it could be your form, or sheer overexertion. One day push-ups gave me a very sudden, very painful headache, and I believe it was from having too much strain on my neck and shoulders, with push-ups adding the last bit to set it off. I don't personally know much about blood vessels, but form and balancing what muscle groups you train could really help.

It's this one.  I just had to show off and prove that I could lift 90 lbs with one leg extension (gym class when I was 15 or something).  Then all these little micro-bruises started showing up all over my thighs.  Seemed to be exploded capillaries, since once I stopped being stupid they stopped showing up.

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2010, 03:18:54 pm »

Necro....

And what you guys are talking about is called patiki eye, it happens when you burst capillaries due to any number of things. People who don't clot well can get them just by resting their arm on something for a while, in the case of exercise it is probably due to overexertion. 's not permanent and will heal, but if you notice it happens a lot you probably want to stop pushing yourself quite as hard and just go for more reps.

runiq

• Bay Watcher
  • Jabber: runiq at draugr dot de
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art account.
« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2010, 03:24:46 pm »

Count me in…

Got myself a barbell, have been running for half a year, and will gradually change my diet to something actually healthy. ^^ Thanks for all the info in this thread, it's been very helpful!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2010, 07:47:26 am »

@Vector: 13 or so years in various martial arts (including Kendo) has taught me something very valuable about pain management. Ice first, then heat. As far as working your pecs, you should be using them in your swing. At the apex of your backswing, flex your pecs and then lunge, don't just use your arms. You should see a marked increase in speed almost immediately.

@x2yzh9: Go easy on the vitamin B. If you get too much it can impair...certain functions of your body.

I am an absolute caffiene junkie. Anyone have any suggestions to get me off the Dew without head asploding migraines? I go a day without it and wind up curled up in bed because my eyes hurt so bad or puking my guts out.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 07:51:31 am by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]