Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New to DF, question about infected files?  (Read 1169 times)

KlenTaq

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
New to DF, question about infected files?
« on: January 14, 2010, 02:26:05 pm »

Hi everyone. If this is the wrong place to ask, I apologize about this in advance!

I've recently gained an interest in playing Dwarf Fortress. I've directly downloaded the game from the main site, and I've been encountering some virus alerts. McAfee calls the optipng.exe file a "Tool.Agent.B" threat, and calls the fmod.dll file a "Win32.SusBehav.1011" threat. McAfee deletes/quarantines the file in each case, so I can't play the game.

Since I found this on the main site, has the webpage been compromised somehow? Where can I get a clean version of DF if not from this page? Thanks.

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
Re: New to DF, question about infected files?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 02:29:09 pm »

1. I believe your virus scanner is making a mistake. Also it labels them as "potentially harmful", though it cannot quite say what it is, making it likely that your scanner's to blame and it's not necessarily a harmful file.
2. You should really use the version in this thread for better performance and interface options, anyways:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=40349

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 02:41:00 pm »

And 3. Mcafee is kind of crappy IMO.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 02:44:44 pm »

You're far better off using a decent anti-virus like Kaspersky, BitDefender, or NOD32.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 02:48:50 pm »

I also use McAfee, and I play the version downloaded from the official site (40d).  I just now ran a scan on fmod.dll and there is no problem on my computer.  I did also just now download a fresh copy from each of the three mirrors.  fmod.dll scans cleanly for all three.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 02:51:58 pm »

The scanner is just being paranoid.  optipng is used in a lot of spamware for generating image spam (a lot of malware contains spamware these days) but it's otherwise a common DLL.  FMOD seems to set off a lot of virus scanners, including AVG (which was outright calling it a trojan).  Best solution is just to whitelist DF and its DLLs in your antivirus.  I've no idea how to do it in McAfee, but I run Symantec anyway (disclaimer: that's because I work for them)
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 02:57:10 pm »

The scanner is just being paranoid.  optipng is used in a lot of spamware for generating image spam (a lot of malware contains spamware these days) but it's otherwise a common DLL.  FMOD seems to set off a lot of virus scanners, including AVG (which was outright calling it a trojan).  Best solution is just to whitelist DF and its DLLs in your antivirus.  I've no idea how to do it in McAfee, but I run Symantec anyway (disclaimer: that's because I work for them)

I hate AVG, but I also fear change, which is why I'm still running it.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."