Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Framerate steadily dropping: does any of this affect it?  (Read 1252 times)

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Framerate steadily dropping: does any of this affect it?
« on: May 07, 2010, 10:17:11 pm »

Framerate is steadily dropping - hovering around the 17 fps mark at this point and it's fairly annoying.

I know (or I'm told) that the main processor chokepoint is pathfinding, which is determined by how many things are looking for paths, and how much they're pathing to.  So while I cage up my two hundred war dogs, I'm wondering about some of the rest.

1) I've got a large over-ground construction above my fort (6 z-level wall with a roof).  When I do z-stocks, the stone in the floors / walls still appears, so are the dwarves still considering pathing to it?

2) If I get burrows working (I've had problems before) will this help?

Edit:

3) There's a lot of mess (blood, and for some reason, chalk).  Does this affect anything?

HammerDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Framerate steadily dropping: does any of this affect it?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 10:27:21 pm »

No, the stone used in constructions is not considered as pathable.

Burrows can help with making far away stuff unavailable, forcing them to work with materials that are close.  But I wouldn't consider it a cure for FPS troubles.

The mess shouldn't make any difference.  Most likely the chalk seems cluttery because it's a flux stone, and turned off as use in construction and items in the z->stone menu.  I wouldn't expect an abundance of unusable stone to make a difference, as they'll just skip over that entire category when searching for one to use.

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 10:31:16 pm »

No the chalk is not an economic stone for me, since I have layers and layers of it.  I'm just not sure why there's chalk dust everywhere.

Mr. GOH!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 12:06:35 am »

Did you have an uninvited guest made of chalk, with chalk for blood or that spewed clouds of chalk? If it hit a few of your swarves, they could spread it everywhere. I've seen it happen with other material.

Or maybe it's jut some of the fort's children playing with heavily used chalkboard erasers throughout the halls of your fort.
Isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit.

-The Tick

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 02:06:11 am »

Well first of all, unless you absolutely need murky pools to refill turn off weather in the init if you haven't yet. You can usually get a very nice speed boost from that, and AFAIK the only thing you lose is pools refilling and rain (which helps clean dwarves and the map somewhat).

I've gotten speed increases from butchering (well, actually throwing into a chasm) caged animals. If you have a LOT of war dogs, consider getting rid of them (they are not terribly useful this version anyway). No promises this will help, it was a few versions ago, but it's worth a shot.

If you have large areas where dwarves rarely path (such and uncommonly used workshops, or construction projects where only 2 or 3 masons ever go, and so on) then mark them as restricted traffic areas. If you have areas where dwarves pretty much never go such as totally cleared out mineshafts with no items in them, either mark them as restricted traffic or better yet wall them off. This post has some more info about using traffic zones to improve FPS (and info on WHY it helps, if you're interested) -> http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=56041.msg1212099#msg1212099

Destroy excess unnecessary items such as hair, seeds you don't intend to plant, stones you don't intend to build anything with, corpses, low-value goblin junk, and so on. Large amounts of items can slow the game down (especially if you have temperature on)

Speaking of which - try turning temperature off in the FPS. This can easily double your FPS, though it does make alot of the HFS alot less fun so it's a sort of a last resort.

As for the burrows question - well they are really rather buggy right now so I don't recommend them. Theoretically they should help quite alot with the pathfinding though, especially if you set them up good.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 12:03:51 pm »

One word of note though--I had pages and pages of tame turtles and worms and roaches, etc.  So i set them all to be dumped (except for the turtles, of course, they are in the zoo).  And the dwarfs brought them to the atom smasher and then let them go.  There is vermin running all over the place, and they are forbidden too!  So I had to unforbid it all and they are slowly getting caught again...

I also found that trying to trade the hoary marmot cages does not work.  The dwarfs open the cage before lugging it to the trade depot.  Which then interrupted everyones job to bring items to the trade depot...

But yes, reducing the animal pathing by eliminating animals is a good idea.  Turning off weather and temp helped my framerate lots, and I have been crushing items and unusable corpses.  I am thinking of turning off the refuse piles and just having the dwarfs dump those to the smasher as well, then turning the refuse piles on again.  The non rotting items are starting to take up a lot of space.
igless