Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A different way to handle rooms  (Read 690 times)

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
A different way to handle rooms
« on: February 12, 2008, 12:58:00 pm »

Yes, hello. Right now designating rooms is a pain in the ass. You have to order an item made, wait for it to be made, designate its placement, wait for it to be installed, then select the proper item and set the size. This is extremely annoying, especially when designating lots of bedrooms for an immigrant wave.
Could be remade to just: "designate an area as a room"? (preferably with custom shape) the designated owner would then care for proper furniture himself (this would be especially nice with the economy, where each dwarf would choose his furniture and install it based on his preferences.
<3

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A different way to handle rooms
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 01:19:00 pm »

maybe you could construct a single bed, make it a dwarves bedroom and then he will buy stuff for it? dwarves would get containers for their tools, for example a soldier would buy a weapon and armor rack for his equipment.
it's definitly a cool idea
een failing lately?

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 02:06:00 pm »

My idea was...

Blueprints of rooms, and copy and pasting.

In the blueprints you can select furniture to be in the room, and set what room it is, etc.  There should also be a Purchasable Furniture option too, where you can set a square to have purchasable furniture, where the dwarf can buy and install the furniture he wants there.

Then you can copy and paste the room a bunch of times.

I would love to have this.

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

ilnar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 05:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Mayday:
<STRONG>Yes, hello. Right now designating rooms is a pain in the ass. You have to order an item made, wait for it to be made, designate its placement, wait for it to be installed, then select the proper item and set the size. This is extremely annoying, especially when designating lots of bedrooms for an immigrant wave.
Could be remade to just: "designate an area as a room"? (preferably with custom shape) the designated owner would then care for proper furniture himself (this would be especially nice with the economy, where each dwarf would choose his furniture and install it based on his preferences.</STRONG>

i like this!
not the blueprint thing, but this i like!
dwarves getting their own stuff... free obviously before the economy, then paying for items the dwarf likes/ needs. obviously not having a cabnet made of the dwarf's favorite matieral would cause an unhappy thought.  :)

laugh in the face of danger,
then i run away.