Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finally! Death by tantrum spiral!  (Read 1925 times)

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Finally! Death by tantrum spiral!
« on: July 29, 2010, 12:43:09 am »

My fort was coming along nicely.  I had just completed a large moat + wall project, covering most of my 3x3 embark in a temperate zone.  My river froze every winter, but only by the barest of margins.  I was too slow the first winter, so for the second I decided to freeze (ha!) my miner's other duties and focus on quickly getting some floodgates set up. 

I had barely dug out the total of 10~ ice squares, with half of the floodgates delivered, when the river unfroze.  I knew it was quick, but not THAT quick.  Sure enough, "Urist McFarmer has drowned" splashed up.  Fortunately not a legendary miner, I thought, as I double checked the alert log.  Turns out, FIVE dwarves drowned... I should really restrict dwarves from moving around on my (large) frozen moat. 

Now, I've only got the barest of essentials.  My dwarves are holed up in the soil layer in tiny, hastily constructed temporary rooms that were barely adequate for my original seven.  I was now at 63 dwarves... uhh... 58 dwarves, and the tiny 6x4 dining room was perpetually packed with dwarves and dogs.  Taking a brief glance down there, I noticed that almost all my dwarves had red !'s above their heads due to the lack of... well, anything good in their lives.  Normally they'd be riding on content but I guess the cramped quarters + the death of five friends really pushed some over the edge.  Tantrums started immediately, followed by berserks in short (ha!) order.  Fortunately, I formed a functional military very early in my game who are pretty much in their own clique and able to "respond" to angry dwarves rather quickly.

The interesting thing, though, is that the berserk dwarves aren't the biggest pain; the tantrum dwarves are.  It's temporary, but that just means that my military won't go smashing their faces in.  My two legendary miners, armed with steel picks, have been carving dwarves up left right and center.

Reinforcing my assertion that tantrum->berserk, Legendary Miner #1 just went berserk.  Aside from hacking off a militia captain's arm, she was smashed to pulp in short order.  Prior to this she had personally killed over five dwarves during tantrums.  My only other miner has a completely shattered leg from tantrum-picking a hammerdwarf.  Five of seven founders are dead with the final two miserable. 

Down to 26 dwarves (from 63!).  An injection of 21 migrants just arrived.  We shall call this event... Winter's End. Every year the survivors will enter a 3/7 water pit and beat each other into a pulp in rememberance.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
Re: Finally! Death by tantrum spiral!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 02:41:23 am »

can actually be worth appointing a sherrif and forming a fortress guard when you are experiencing losses due to tantruming dwarves. they kill and injure other dwarves and pets, and smash stuff up, causing more unhappiness and more tantrums.

the guard has to be really badass though, specially against legendary miners and the like. if they cant capture or put down the tantrumming dwarf fast enough it just causes more problems. i dont have experience with this in 2010, but in 40d my super ultra legendary mayor once beat several steel clad legendary wrestlers to death when they tried to arrest her. probably wont happen in the current version, but give your guard good weapons and gear. at least better then the dwarves they will be pacifying. get totalatarian. its a whole new brand of fun.

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 10:57:04 am »

My advice is actually the opposite. I never keep a guard. Guards are just likely to do more damage.

Even with more than a dozen deaths i rarely get tantruming dwarves. Engrave as much stone as you can, even if its just the dinning room. They love a legendary dinning room. Prepared food often keeps dwarves happy. And of course there is the all important booze. Booze quality actually is quite important, never underestimate its use in dealing with moody dwarves.
A leg of ham, a jug of beer and thou besides me, whistling in the darkness.

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 12:00:22 pm »

Does it actually get called a legendary dining room? I got all the way to a royal dining room pretty fast, but all the improvements I've made since then haven't changed it.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 01:09:01 pm »

It is called legendary in dwarves' thoughts.

Zokinin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 09:22:51 pm »

Does it actually get called a legendary dining room? I got all the way to a royal dining room pretty fast, but all the improvements I've made since then haven't changed it.
Could be that an assigned dining room at it's best is Royal and a public one is Legendary. Just a possibility.

kapusta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 11:38:11 pm »

Just have no meeting zones or dining rooms. Problem (mostly) solved.

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 08:05:29 am »

I've still never had a tantrum spiral. Could be that I always crack down on idlers and give dwarves no time to socialize...anyway, the worst that's happened to me from a tantrum is a woodcutter decapitated another dwarf and carved up a guard dog. That fort only ended because the starting 7 all went melancholy from losing some of their number and then the remaining 2 weren't able to hold off the cavern monsters next time some appeared.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 09:29:39 am »

Never a good idea to dig into the caverns untill at least your first migrant wave. though it is fun.
A leg of ham, a jug of beer and thou besides me, whistling in the darkness.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 12:54:55 pm »

Using traps has saved more sould than there are Pyramids in Egypt.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)