Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Want To Start A Succession... BUT  (Read 868 times)

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Want To Start A Succession... BUT
« on: March 20, 2011, 10:46:53 am »

I have no idea what we could do to make it interesting.

Moron fort - done
Elf fort - HERESY
Human fort - CBA to mod it
Er...

Haunted glacier fort? XD

EDIT: Is a zombie fort possible!? It isn't is it. Crap.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 10:52:17 am by EmperorJon »
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
Re: Want To Start A Succession... BUT
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 11:27:54 am »

You don't necessarily need a gimmick. Mostly you need time, patience and some luck. Succession games often make themselves interesting. Take Ardentdikes or Battlefailed: they just happened to suffer from some amazing catastrophes by chance and they didn't even have gimmicks. I don't think Ardentdikes even had an evil biome. If you've ever done IRL roleplaying like D&D or whatever, you already know how hard it is to make something like this work . . . but when it does it's amazing and worth the six or seven other games you started which failed due to X, Y and Z issues. Just throw yourself into it and see what happens.

You could probably manage a zombie fort if you modded a bit. I dunno if you can make it so that a dwarf injured to the point of bleeding by a zombified creature could itself catch a syndrome and die and then get back up again.

Maybe do a dystopian fort where you try to keep all dwarves except the nobles as unhappy as possible without letting them go completely mad, and make them work on huge and unnecessarily pointless projects. A tantrum-spiral conservation fort!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 11:30:54 am by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 11:35:43 am »

Ok, I think I have and idea here. Trying to generate a world which has the total annihilation of dwarfdom. Then embark in a glacier. Retreated far away from the murderous young civilisations. If I manage to get a decent embark and the right world then I'll post some info about it and start recruiting. :D

I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 12:01:41 pm »

Win! Just got a small world to experience 50 years of Golden Age, then the Elves took over. By ~300 all humans and dwarves are gone.

Now, in the year 1050, we're going to embark. On a terrifying glacier... with the only other living Civ a warring group of elves. This is dwarf fortress.

Now on for the thread.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 12:07:33 pm by EmperorJon »