Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some Q's  (Read 1854 times)

RustKnight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some Q's
« on: September 16, 2010, 03:56:12 am »

I periodicly check bay 12 to see if any major updates occur for DF, one thing i don't know is weather updates, be them small or big, are backed up by graphical tilesets?

Ussualy i've seen mayday do an update of his graphical mod everytime there's a big update out, but in the mean time could there be a way to adjust the mod manualy to DF's small updates?

I mean i am pretty sure you guys do that, or at least some of you which preffer graphics
Also i've vistited the feature list reggarding future development of DF and my God it's so cool, other question is: what does Toady priorities on ? us adventure fans, or the Fortress mode?

And one last remark - i've been playing some -1 year old version- of DF and i noticed that the difficulty was more progressive than it is now, back then you would first go kill wolves ogres and such and after being pro you would go after dragons and demons. Now from what i feel, i just made an adventurer and just easily killed a dragon plus it's so hard to die now, than it was before, doesn't make much sense for me...

Did anyone else feel that this version is too easy?

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
Re: Some Q's
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 04:40:32 am »

It isnt too easy - Its more realistic. Remember this is meant to be a fantasy sim, not a grinder. Having Ogres roaming the land makes no sense, but finding them in caves does. If anything, some of the enemies arent as aggressive as they should be (Wolves should jump for your upper body, not your legs, and other such things)

You can still die within seconds of starting, that does still occur. If anything, its more a matter of how you the player play the game.
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 05:01:34 am »

Most tilesets make upgrades along the game version upgrades.

Same for mods, I always upgrade my mods with the new small versions, and even support a few versions :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

jdf318

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 09:34:48 pm »

If you want it to be more difficult, just start with no skills. Or Play now! but then you have to be both naked (i believe) and a human (without modding)

RustKnight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 01:05:53 am »

As for features, are there any major changes since the 40 d version?, i belive it was called... (the version that didn't had skin layers bones and such)

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 07:32:24 am »

^Here is an exhaustive list of changes, including Adventure Mode adding features that let you sharpen rocks and butcher corpses.

Also, to answer your question about Toady's priorities: he has acknowledged that most of his focus has been on Fortress Mode, but it planning to greatly expand upon it with the coming updates. With the current version, the functionality of Fortress Mode has been "gutted" to make way for future content (towns don't exist as we knew them, and thus there are no shops), so there isn't a whole lot to do in it at present.

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 08:57:28 am »

It isnt too easy - Its more realistic.
Adventurers are overpowered. Its not realistic that you can kill a dragon from the get-go with not much problem, slaughtering 12 wolves at once without even breaking sweat.
not a grinder.
While I hate grinders like world of warcraft utterly and completely, adventurers start out too strong (and get too strong too), the game is supposed to be hard, a pack of wolves should devour you unless you are careful, right now you start at super-human/dwarf/elven attribute levels, how is that good for balance?

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 09:08:55 am »

I don't think that's uniformly true; I just started a character with mediocre stats (but awesome linguistics) and found attributes maxxed out a lot lower. Even 'superhuman' is half what my last character's was.