Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Undisciplined and awesome, also odd.  (Read 741 times)

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Undisciplined and awesome, also odd.
« on: December 01, 2010, 02:43:57 pm »

So, I go to the trouble of providing my dwarves with an ideal spot for an ambush, but one of my NCOs insisted that she could handle the ambush on her own, and runs off wearing random bits of leather. Fortunately she had a +steel spear+ that she's grown rather fond of, and proceeded to open a can of ass kicking on the gobbos. It went something like this:

Goblin leader, hammer:  Ouch!  You stabbed me in the left foot!  Ow!  Now the right! No no, not the left! aaaaiiiii not the face! (dead)
Goblin Maceman #1:  Wow, that was pretty messed up. But I got this. Come on guys.
Goblin Macemen 2-6:  Righto, chaaaarge!
<Urista McSpearCrazy has entered a martial trance>
(carnage ensues)

Now, as I was reading the combat log I spied something decidedly odd:  at one point she bashes one of the goblins in the eye with the haft of her spear. Now, I thought this was cool and I read on: the blow is deflected by the goblin's copper mail shirt.  Aroro?

Is there any way to tell my military that they actually have to follow orders?  Or are they just dress-up doll berserkers all the time?
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
Re: Undisciplined and awesome, also odd.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 02:56:53 pm »

Didn't you know? The goblins have their heads surgically removed from their neck and placed into their chest.

What?
That's not the case?
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 03:42:45 pm »

The closest thing I can think of is I can AIM for your eye, but while swinging you're likely to block with a shield.  Whose going to just LET you hit their eye, really?  Though in this case, it happened to be their shirt.  Iunno.

Pyrite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 03:45:50 pm »

As far as setting up ambushes goes, dwarves will charge headlong into battle at the first sight of the enemy, regardless of other considerations. There's no way short of kicking them from a squad to make them relent. The best way to set up an ambush, then, is around a corner where the dwarves don't see the enemy until they're all right on top of them. Preferably with doors behind said dwarves that can be locked once they're all assembled, so none of them decide it's naptime just before the horde arrives.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 06:06:56 pm »

It might be related to this, though chain mail is not UBSTEP:MAX.

Quote from: dfwiki
A number of clothing items have [UBSTEP:MAX]. What exactly this covers depends on a certain bug, but unless you are making adamantine robes you probably won't get that much extra protection this way anyway. This would mean, for example, they would cover the upper arm, lower arm, skip the hand, then cover the fingers. The same goes for facial features (and, oddly, the throat) after skipping the head and the toes after skipping the entire legs and feet.
The clothes with these properties seem to be robes, cloaks, coats, shirts and dresses. However, of these only robes and dresses also have [LBSTEP:MAX] (see below) and so I'm not sure if anything else would actually cover toes or not. Needs additional testing.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod