Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pumps and pump operators  (Read 531 times)

sdrawkcabcM tsirU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pumps and pump operators
« on: December 06, 2010, 05:00:23 pm »

Even with the pump operator profession activated on many, I'm having trouble getting my dwarves to show up to pump manually to start my reactors. Despite 40-some dwarves, none of them have any pump operator skill, but I didn't think it was really required. Anyone have suggestions?

Jorshamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pumps and pump operators
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 05:15:15 pm »

Well, the important thing is whether they are busy doing other things, or just idling in you meeting hall. If the former, you may want to reassign a small group of dwarves to just pump operating, so that the won't do anything beside work pumps, or generic jobs, like filling ponds.

sdrawkcabcM tsirU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 05:22:40 pm »

I'm using dwarf therapist, so that's not the issue... The pump operators are idle. The strange thing is, I built a wooden pump for another area just recently, and they'll show up at that one right away. But they seem to be allergic to my stone-based pumps.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 05:30:06 pm »

The strange thing is, I built a wooden pump for another area just recently, and they'll show up at that one right away. But they seem to be allergic to my stone-based pumps.

Elf sympathizers! to the magma with them!!
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 05:41:26 pm »

Sounds like a pathing or burrow issue. Make sure they can path to the pumps you want worked. Also, make sure you activated those pumps so they have reason to go pump manually.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 05:46:57 pm »

Also, make sure that none of the materials that went into making any of the pumps are accidentally forbidden.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

sdrawkcabcM tsirU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 08:47:07 pm »

Elf sympathizers! to the magma with them!!
I'm embarked on a volcano, and at the moment the only thing that's holding the volcano in is floodgates, so that can be easily arranged.

I didn't think it was, but apparently it's a pathing issue. And the wiki made it sound so easy... Gonna have to come at this differently.