Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Where the hell do I get:  (Read 6074 times)

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
Re: Where the hell do I get:
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2011, 05:07:47 pm »

This is the closest I could find. Doesn't look legitimate, though.

Thanks for trying. I believe you're correct, it looks shady as hell. I mean think about it, if you were going to set up a criminal organization what better disguise could you choose than that of a hippie?  A cop might think that you had a little weed on you or something, but they would never even consider that you might trafficking child soldier organs* or whatever.

While I'm here... Does anyone know of something to keep your feet warm that is not socks or a blanket? I find socks uncomfortable; and blankets get too hot, and are hard to get just right. The alternative is cold, bluish feet, which is more uncomfortable than socks. I'll be interested if anyone knows about something like this.

I offer the following suggestions:

1. A hot water bottle wrapped in a towel. Preferably a thick fluffy towel for best results.

2. A small electric blow fire. You know, one of those fans with a heating element. In the UK they cost less than £10. Should be dirt cheap anywhere. Make sure to get a small one and experiment with the angle, settings and distance etc. I used to live in a huge house that was slowly falling to pieces with, needless to say, fuck all to speak of in the heating department. It had power though. I perfected the positioning of my little blow-fire  so that I could sit with my laptop in a perfect little circle of warmth in a corner with a couple of huge cushions. But with a tiny bit of fiddling you can set it up so the hot air warms your feet.

3. A personal servant with a car battery powered electric heating element, trained to obey you're every command such as "Warm my feet up!" and "They're warm enough now, bugger off" and similar. You made need to employ a second servant for the purposes of changing the car battery, unless you don't mind occasional power outages.

Meanwhile the search for a genuine antediluvian psychic power granting crystal skull continues....
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2011, 06:03:25 pm »

While I'm here... Does anyone know of something to keep your feet warm that is not socks or a blanket? I find socks uncomfortable; and blankets get too hot, and are hard to get just right. The alternative is cold, bluish feet, which is more uncomfortable than socks. I'll be interested if anyone knows about something like this.

You could get a pair of those slippers/loafers that are lined with fuzzy.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2011, 06:19:53 pm »

You could get a pair of those slippers/loafers that are lined with fuzzy.
Those make my feet all sweaty, eventually leading to a lessening of their fuzzy appeal; and if I wear them with socks there's a double issue of mild discomfort and excessive foot heat. There's also the added problem of not being able to curl up my feet/legs properly due to the soles. Fuzzy slippers/loafers are nice when you have to go outside in the winter, though, for sure.

I offer the following suggestions:

1. A hot water bottle wrapped in a towel. Preferably a thick fluffy towel for best results.

2. A small electric blow fire. You know, one of those fans with a heating element. In the UK they cost less than £10. Should be dirt cheap anywhere. Make sure to get a small one and experiment with the angle, settings and distance etc. I used to live in a huge house that was slowly falling to pieces with, needless to say, fuck all to speak of in the heating department. It had power though. I perfected the positioning of my little blow-fire  so that I could sit with my laptop in a perfect little circle of warmth in a corner with a couple of huge cushions. But with a tiny bit of fiddling you can set it up so the hot air warms your feet.

3. A personal servant with a car battery powered electric heating element, trained to obey you're every command such as "Warm my feet up!" and "They're warm enough now, bugger off" and similar. You made need to employ a second servant for the purposes of changing the car battery, unless you don't mind occasional power outages.
1) sounds decent. I'll have to try that at some point. The heat probably wouldn't last long, though, and I don't have any thick, fluffy towels.
2) might work; I think I have one of those around my house. That does sound a little hot, though; worth a try, at least. Makes me wish I had some huge cushions to go with it.
3) is unavailable to me at the current time, but I'll make a note of it for later. :P

Thanks for the suggestions so far, guys. I really take my lounging seriously, and try to employ the best methods I have whenever possible.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2011, 07:37:15 pm »

What's a good online source for 16-gauge/.063"/1.5875mm diameter stainless steel or aluminum wire?
While meant for chainmail, The Ring Lord sells plain wire, and has the best prices I've seen. A quick Google search shows plenty of overpriced results. I also found this, but that may be too much wire, and it doesn't look especially reliable.
(By the way, you'll probably want the bright aluminum or standard stainless steel, if you order from The Ring Lord.)
Thanks! It is for chainmail, so that website will be extra useful.

As for your feet, try setting them on a heating bag. They're bags of thing cloth that are usually full of beans or rice and can be heated up whenever. They retain heat fairly well, but not so much as a water bottle. (Which will last a surprising amount of time)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]