Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rogue Seeds  (Read 1878 times)

Caevin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rogue Seeds
« on: October 01, 2011, 04:15:00 pm »

I was browsing through the fort, cleaning stuff up after an unsuccessful goblin siege (seems nobody is smart enough to avoid the cage traps littered around the entry to my fort), while I was doing so, I noticed something odd in my animal stockpile.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's that little dot, inside a cage. "Huh," I thought, "That appears to be a little critter, yet those are usually in animal traps, not cages."

Looking at the cage itself, I notice something even stranger:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is the first time I have ever seen seeds in a cage before, and it puzzled me. So, best I can figure, during the goblin siege, the enemy conscripted some of my farmland (which happens to be right after the cage traps at the outside entrance of my fort) and some of the seeds joined up. This one appears to have been caught in a cage trap, fleeing from my fort after the goblins that avoided the traps were slaughtered.

Will I have more on my hands? Will the next danger at Kisswipped be rogue plants? Are we to experience a chilling sequel to The Day of the Triffids? Only time will tell.

TheeBaconman

• Bay Watcher
  • Topics normally misunderstood. Dabbling worder
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Seeds
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 04:17:44 pm »

If only you could experiment on prisoner plants to make new bioweapons..... *cry*
"A stupid is, a stupid dies." -Tribes 2

Think of the children?!
You sick freak.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 04:26:27 pm »

While I find your interpretation of this odd event to be hilarious, I think the actual reason for this is that, when a dwarf tames a caged animal, that dwarf gives the animal some food.  If that food is a plant, then the seeds remain in the cage.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 04:33:13 pm »

While I find your interpretation of this odd event to be hilarious, I think the actual reason for this is that, when a dwarf tames a caged animal, that dwarf gives the animal some food.  If that food is a plant, then the seeds remain in the cage.
So it should therefore be:
     ->Cage
          -> Unknown animal excrement
                -> seeds
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 05:47:08 pm »

->Cage
                -> seeds
No, animals in dwarf fortress just eat around the seeds.  Because that makes much more sense.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 07:46:25 pm »

->Cage
                -> seeds
No, animals in dwarf fortress just eat around the seeds.  Because that makes much more sense.

Even strawberry seeds!

(You can get the seed out of the cage by looking at the unbuilt cage's contents with [k], [v]iewing the seed and then marking it for [d]umping. I mean, that little see d will feed a dwarf for three months!)
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

TheeBaconman

• Bay Watcher
  • Topics normally misunderstood. Dabbling worder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 09:23:35 pm »

Animal excrement and seeds... reminds me of my World History class.

Man took dump, weeks later, discovered farming.
"A stupid is, a stupid dies." -Tribes 2

Think of the children?!
You sick freak.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 09:34:33 pm »

Ninja Goblins........
Ulspa McGoboNinja: Prickle Substituion no jutsu!
*poof*
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?