Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Troll Siege  (Read 1146 times)

halftime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Troll Siege
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 04:06:11 pm »

BuGGaTon: Oh, they can, trust me. The game doesn't go into much detail on the precise nature of the attack (all I know is that the ghosts like to "batter" my dwarves), but in my experience the end result tends to be a severed limb or a ruptured internal organ, if not instant death. It's all kinds of Fun. :)

To people who offered congratulations: Thanks! The mighty fortress of Wipemine hasn't lived up to its name quite yet. I now have a small but bustling population of 8 dwarves, and while they're currently locked indoors on account of the latest siege, I have at least finally produced a comfortable surplus of coffins. I am now working on a long, narrow, twisty passageway lined with cage traps, to lure the enemy into when the time is right. It will surely bring either Victory or Fun!

Memorials are definitely the way to go when it comes to vengeful spirits. There were two ghosts whose bodies I couldn't recover because they were outside with all the goblins, but memorializing them did the trick quite nicely.

Triaxx2: That sounds really useful, but I think that only works for jobs queued by the manager (via j-m-q)? Pulling a lever only shows up on the (j)obs menu, and regrettably I can't seem to find any way to prioritize the tasks in that list. :(

Speaking of which, I have a bit of a labor-related problem. My chief medical dwarf was imprisoned for missing a production order (Moose hoof items? Seriously?), and is chained up in prison. I got worried when she started to starve and get dehydrated, and so I disabled all of my engraver's labors except for "Feed Patients/Prisoners". However, my engraver now just alternates between "No Job" and non-toggle-able activities like harvesting plants and drinking. Is there something I'm doing wrong? (Some people elsewhere on the forums suggest turning the prison into a five-star luxury hotel with booze stockpiles and ruby-encrusted masterwork beds, but come on... this is a prison sentence, not a vacation! These guys need to pay for their completely unavoidable crimes of omission! What's the point of having a demanding and capricious ruling class otherwise?)

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 04:16:08 pm »

Personally, I've never enabled justice by appointing the corresponding noble, but the advice I've seen is to put a one-tile prepared food stockpile (set it to take from your main food stockpile, that will ensure it's always kept full) right next to your prisoner, and do the same with a booze stockpile. That way, your dwarf will be able to grab food and drink on their own, and won't starve to death or die of thirst.

Also, you're using a chain or rope for your jail, and not a cage, right? I've heard that building cages in the jail is pretty much a death sentence, because nobody takes food/water to prisoners in cages for some reason (presumably a bug).

halftime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 04:37:10 pm »

Yeah, my prison uses ropes/chains. I like the idea of having a dungeon for dwarven miscreants, so I guess I'll have to go the stockpile route. Feeding prisoners is just too much of a low-priority job, apparently... my chained-up dwarf just died of thirst. :(

Still, seven dwarves is enough to keep a fortress running, right?
Pages: 1 [2]