Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1005435 times)

TheBlueSteel

• Bay Watcher
  • This user menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #3075 on: November 06, 2012, 04:07:24 pm »

Actually.... just kidding....

My current code looks like:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And its producing basalt just fine, but it can currently operate with absolutely any plant and won't produce any seeds from my custom plant, Growth Stone. Growth Stone is currently tagged as STONE_GROWTH, so I honestly don't quite get how the REAGENT is intaking any type of plant. Thoughts?

And, all respect to Putnam, but if someone could explain what's wrong as well as pointing out what my code should be, that would be awesome :) I don't want to bother everyone too often, so I'm trying to learn.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: November 06, 2012, 04:10:38 pm »

You're forgetting the NONE after PLANT.

You see, PLANT is half of an item token. Every item token has two parts: the item type (in this case PLANT) and the specific item (in this case NONE). If you have less than two parts of your item token, you'll have weird things happen.

It's the same with material tokens. The first is the type (here, PLANT_MAT) and the second is the specific material (in this case, STONE_GROWTH:STRUCTURAL). PLANT_MAT and CREATURE_MAT are a bit different, in that they have two parts to their item, but that's always creature/plant:creature/plant material.

The specific item is not needed for many cases, especially with reagents. However, if you want a specific weapon, specific trap component, etc., you'll have to use it.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 04:13:16 pm by Putnam »

TheBlueSteel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: November 06, 2012, 04:20:53 pm »

Ahh, okay, that makes a lot of sense. So for the part of the code that produces seeds, the item token SEEDS:NONE is valid, but it isn't producing them when the code is run because the material token PLANT_MAT:STONE_GROWTH:STRUCTURAL doesn't reference the seeds appropriately. The intake was a quick fix and a duh-duh moment, sorry to bother you with it.

Thanks for your help by the way.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: November 06, 2012, 06:59:14 pm »

How do you use creatures in a reaction? I heard that you can, but have no clue how.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: November 06, 2012, 07:07:04 pm »

How do you use creatures in a reaction? I heard that you can, but have no clue how.

You heard wrong. Vermin, yes, but no others.

TheBlueSteel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: November 07, 2012, 11:17:28 am »

Heyo, I'm back! Pretty simple question this time, can't seem to find it in the wiki or the forum anywhere: can you make custom skills/professions? For instance, if I want a dwarf to be able to level in the skill "Researcher", what RAW would I have to edit to create such a profession?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: November 07, 2012, 05:01:53 pm »

Heyo, I'm back! Pretty simple question this time, can't seem to find it in the wiki or the forum anywhere: can you make custom skills/professions? For instance, if I want a dwarf to be able to level in the skill "Researcher", what RAW would I have to edit to create such a profession?
You can't create custom skills/professions. You can rename already existing ones with [PROFESSION_NAME:profession:singular:plural] in the creature entries, so you could potentially take a profession that doesn't have a use (such as ALCHEMIST, with the skill for your custom reactions being ALCHEMY) and rename it to "Researcher" or whatever else you want.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

TheBlueSteel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: November 07, 2012, 05:22:11 pm »

You can't create custom skills/professions. You can rename already existing ones with [PROFESSION_NAME:profession:singular:plural] in the creature entries, so you could potentially take a profession that doesn't have a use (such as ALCHEMIST, with the skill for your custom reactions being ALCHEMY) and rename it to "Researcher" or whatever else you want.

Hmm, but the labor enabled will still be "ALCHEMY" right? I'm thinking more of whether you can alter that.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: November 07, 2012, 05:41:02 pm »

You can't. It's hardcoded.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: November 07, 2012, 05:43:22 pm »

How would I set up a reaction to turn a certain fruit into a type of ammo? Actually is it possible in some way to bypass the reaction entirely? And will I still have to specify a workshop for the reaction if the civ for it is meant to be unplayeable?
It's FEF, not FEOF

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: November 07, 2012, 06:01:35 pm »

How would I set up a reaction to turn a certain fruit into a type of ammo? Actually is it possible in some way to bypass the reaction entirely? And will I still have to specify a workshop for the reaction if the civ for it is meant to be unplayeable?

I don't think you can bypas the reaction, and what do you mean "uplayable"? If you want to use it in the game, you have to put it in as a reaction and workshop, or you won't be able to use it.

It would go something like this:
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:FRUITAMMO]
[NAME:turn fruit into ammo]
[BUILDING:NAMEBUILDINGHERE!:CUSTOM_F]
[REAGENT:A:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:PETROLEUM] (I don't know what fruit is classified under...)
        [PRODUCT:100:10:AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_NAME AMMO HERE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE] (Some of that can be edited, like how much ammo it makes, and what the ammo is made out of)
[SKILL:FORGE_WEAPON]

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: November 07, 2012, 06:15:58 pm »

To answer the workshop question, no I don't believe that you need a workshop for reactions that are only used by non-playable entities. If you do turn out to need them though, then you can always just make a tiny workshop called "ai workshop" or something similar that does all of your reactions that players can't do but the computer entities can.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: November 07, 2012, 06:19:22 pm »

To answer the workshop question, no I don't believe that you need a workshop for reactions that are only used by non-playable entities. If you do turn out to need them though, then you can always just make a tiny workshop called "ai workshop" or something similar that does all of your reactions that players can't do but the computer entities can.

Yes, but last I checked, the other entities don't really use workshops. So it wouldn't do much?

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: November 08, 2012, 09:00:02 am »

Yes, but last I checked, the other entities don't really use workshops. So it wouldn't do much?
Well civs can gain metals (and possibly items) from reactions, even if they don't have the workshop to make them. So what Stirk meant is that if the other civs don't gain whatever the reaction makes because there's no workshop, just give every AI civ a workshop so they would appear.

And this could work simply because if a civ doesn't have a reaction that is tied to the workshop the reaction won't appear (though AI ignores workshop requirements). You could conceivably give every playable civ a 'Shrine' workshop which could have several different 'Pray to X' tied to it which only certain civs would know of. Say dwarves 'Pray to the Mountain', elves 'Pray to the Forest Spirit', Goblins 'Pray to the Monsters of the World', kobolds 'Hope for inspiration towards Dominance', or somesuch.
Or a 'Weapons Foundry' where different playable (or non-playable) civs could make different special weapons (or special metals) without requiring more workshops (and if ai civs actually checked workshop requirements this would be a god-send, as you could just tie it to a random workshop without any fuss). Additionally what buildings each reaction is tied to can be edited mid-game, so if you really wanted you could switch them around for whatever purpose your devious mind comes up with.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: November 08, 2012, 06:39:31 pm »

I don't think you can bypas the reaction, and what do you mean "uplayable"? If you want to use it in the game, you have to put it in as a reaction and workshop, or you won't be able to use it.

It would go something like this:
[REACTION:FRUITAMMO]
[NAME:turn fruit into ammo]
[BUILDING:NAMEBUILDINGHERE!:CUSTOM_F]
[REAGENT:A:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:PETROLEUM] (I don't know what fruit is classified under...)
        [PRODUCT:100:10:AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_NAME AMMO HERE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE] (Some of that can be edited, like how much ammo it makes, and what the ammo is made out of)

I made this but I don't seem to be getting the material tokens right. What do I need to do?

[REACTION:MAKE_THORNAX_AMMO]
[NAME:make thornax ammo]
[BUILDING:KITCHEN:CUSTOM_F]
[REAGENT:thornax:1:PLANT:PLANT_MAT:THORNAX:STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE:STRUCTURAL]
        [PRODUCT:100:1:AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_THORNAX_AMMO:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]

Also I modded in a custom bodypart but now the errorlog says it has no tissue thickness. What do I need?
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 544