Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 417 418 [419] 420 421 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 847278 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #6270 on: July 04, 2014, 01:28:15 pm »

You mean throwing water on him works?
No, just the bucket.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

lament

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6271 on: July 06, 2014, 08:43:41 pm »

I have been raising cows and yaks. It has been years and the grass does not grow back. I keep having to move the pastures. What gives?

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6272 on: July 06, 2014, 08:50:36 pm »

Grass regrowth depends on various things and can regrow slowly or not at all depending on what sort of location you have embarked on.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

lament

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6273 on: July 06, 2014, 09:19:33 pm »

The bare ground is clay (I don't know if that matters). I guess I could use DFhack to regrow grass but I try not to cheat. Thanks for quick reply.

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6274 on: July 06, 2014, 09:46:05 pm »

Grass should grow on clay. I meant more in terms of biome or vegetation that you chose on embark. I think that mountain biomes won't regrow grass or shrubs. I also think that the surrounding vegetation on embark makes a difference in growth rates the higher it is the faster such things will grow/regrow. I am not sure if either of these have any effect on the various trees, shrubs, and grasses found in the caverns.
So breaching the caverns and muddying grounds to create pastures may be viable.
Wiki also mentions you can stop grass from growing by constantly having creatures walk over it which could be a factor.

Also cows and yaks require fairly large pastures. I think cows require about 18x18 per cow and yaks need more,

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6275 on: July 06, 2014, 11:01:23 pm »

Did the pasture areas ever have any trees or shrubs on them?

There are better animals than cows and yaks, anyway. Hooves and horns and milk can all be gotten from goats, and are more efficient. Yaks are fourteen the size of goats and require sixteen times as much grazing, but you don't get that much more meat off them.

The elves usually bring larger non-grazers than you can get off the human and dwarven caravans, and many FBs are walking buffets.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6276 on: July 07, 2014, 07:20:54 am »

Grass should grow on clay. I meant more in terms of biome or vegetation that you chose on embark. I think that mountain biomes won't regrow grass or shrubs.

This is correct.  It's most likely a bug that mountains have an initial grass covering, since grass is not supposed to grow there.

Mountains never have shrubs, so there are none to regrow.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6277 on: July 09, 2014, 04:19:28 am »

I have started a new thread for the DF2014 major build for Q & A

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140163.0
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6278 on: July 11, 2014, 03:45:31 am »

Ok, so I'm sticking with DF2012 for a while yet, & I want to do new 3x3 embark with a Volcano in the center.

The thing is, I have a thing about the camera centering on the middle of the map (since each region-tile is 48x48 fortress-tiles, this means I want to target any one of the central 4), however I don't know of any way to control the amount the camera moves by when you hit the edge of the currently displayed area, so I was wondering...

TL;DR: Is there any way to manually edit or otherwise explicitly set which exact fortress-tile/co-ordinate a given hotkey centers on when setting a "zoom" location? a specific file I can edit perhaps?

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6279 on: July 11, 2014, 07:47:20 am »

I view/follow a dwarf until he is standing on the tile I want to zoom to.

ryansee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6280 on: July 14, 2014, 09:07:39 pm »

Hey I am facing a sudden problem during my application of the http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.34:Double-slit_method for dealing with the aquifer. I was able to secure 4 zeals while digging down. and then the method stopped working and the water started pilling up. I am unsure why this happened.

Image of the problem : http://imgur.com/ORVoXb9,wcuZL1r,qRYmAy0,rWiWwwV,15JTXdH

ryansee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6281 on: July 14, 2014, 09:12:17 pm »

Hey I am facing a sudden problem during my application of the http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.34:Double-slit_method for dealing with the aquifer. I was able to secure 4 zeals while digging down. and then the method stopped working and the water started pilling up. I am unsure why this happened.

Image of the problem : http://imgur.com/ORVoXb9,wcuZL1r,qRYmAy0,rWiWwwV,15JTXdH

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6282 on: July 14, 2014, 09:21:38 pm »

If you've reached the bottom level of the Aquifer then I think you're trying to pump water into a non aquifer level which can't absorb water.
I assume from reading This on the wiki: "QuantumMenace's double slit method uses this kind of aquifer draining for all but the lowest aquifer level."
The wiki then shows the other method you need to use for the last level...
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

ryansee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6283 on: July 14, 2014, 09:24:46 pm »

but i dont understand all the levels below in the picture are " damp x" where x is material. i shouldnt be in the  end of it

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6284 on: July 14, 2014, 09:30:18 pm »

Damp x doesn't necessarily mean that the tile is an aquifer. It also appears around and under other water features such as rivers and murky pools, and even player made cisterns. It simply indicates that there is water touching that tile in some direction. At least that has been my experience with both damp and warm stone.
Pages: 1 ... 417 418 [419] 420 421 422