Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 484380 times)

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #510 on: July 08, 2013, 02:24:12 pm »

You're not wrong. Can't believe I missed that. Thanks :)

However, there's more bad news:

Finding jaded slade regardless has uncovered a new critical bug. Civs don't have access to metals. It apparently just picks a plausible material at random when a civ does not have access to suitable materials, as seems to be always the case for formics' weapons and halflings' shovels. That's something we may need to work on too. It went unnoticed so far because halflings aren't supposed to have metals and when they randomly had meteoric iron it seemed plausible.

This has the following consequence specifically, showing how it's bugged: You get random material items at embark. If you remove your selection of that item (e.g. jaded slade shovel) then you can in no way select a new one or replace it.

With halflings this is semi-intended as they shouldn't have access to metals anyway, the problem is only they get those random shovels and the game insists they must be metal regardless of whether logically possible. Thus I can fix this pretty easily: add [STONE_PREF] just to be sure, remove [DIGGER:SMALL_SHOVEL_HLG] (can still be made at craftsman's via my custom reaction to make wooden shovel, and used). Since I'm forced to tinker around with halflings more I'm going to add some more flavor stuff too I hadn't figured out earlier:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As for formics, I have no idea why they don't actually have access to metals and are forced to fall back on random picks. Maybe it's related to the problem of unarmed spider centaurs? Maybe not.

That said, yeah, it keeps happening, but please update & overwrite minimal world/BFEL pack when you have the chance/interest.

Edit: It's possible formics don't have access to metals because they aren't allowed to be furnace operators. One way how this could have happened is if you took part of my halfling professions. They don't get to have furnace operators so they don't get metal by default (can still train operators in fortress mode), but formics probably should be allowed that job. Just a guess, not that knowledgeable about entities.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: July 08, 2013, 03:54:14 pm »

I actually just took all of the halfling professions - it was much faster than copying them out by hand. I'll patch that, thanks for spotting it, and add in those updated BFEL raws for the jaded slade too. The spider-centaurs probably aren't furnace operators, either, so I'll fix that. They should be much more dangerous once they actually are armed.

Mastahcheese, I'll incorporate your alcohol template and switch honeywine over to using it. Should make water grub unions happy! :)

Also, Halfling again: The frostbite effect happened even with the temperature fix I added, so I'm thinking it might be a result of chitin's colddam point. Makes sense, lore-wise, if you were in a snowy biome (my test adventurer was, and experienced frostbite); they're a desert species and shouldn't handle cold well. If not, well...frostheart might be moving down a cavern layer to join its incendiary cousin, and I'll need to add another cavern wood for level 1.

EDIT: I manually merged the new BFEL raws. The extraction reaction has been inserted straight into the original halfling reaction file - that okay?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 04:02:37 pm by StLeibowitz »
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: July 08, 2013, 04:10:43 pm »

Let's hope it works.

Sure, don't really care where it is, although why not just download, copy and paste the files? :P

Make sure to get the new halfling creature and entity raws too to fix the shovels issue (and to make hobbits more capable of passing unseen by most if they choose). Either from newest upload of minimal world or BFEL, updated both. Thanks.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 08, 2013, 04:26:18 pm »

New BFEL raws downloaded and merged.

EDIT: Tweaking of Breakbone Fever to make it more realistic is amusing. Dengue has generalized muscle pain as a symptom, but it seems translated into DF terms that SEV:50 pain from every muscle in the body is literally like breaking every bone he has, in terms of visible results (i.e., collapses like a sack of potatoes).

EDIT2: Even SEV:5 is too much for him. Wimp.

EDIT3: SEV:1. That is the most they can stand. This makes me want to never experience what DF considers SEV:100 pain.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 04:43:30 pm by StLeibowitz »
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: July 08, 2013, 04:43:58 pm »

Great. I think the operative word is every muscle. My meningitis includes [CE_PAIN:SEV:10000:PROB:95:BP:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:ALL:START:1200:PEAK:7200:END:33600] and doesn't make people fall unconscious on the spot.

In other news, I came across this.

Actually I found a halfling town ruled by a castle full of elves. With halfling names. No treelords in sight. This is a little surprising to me since elves have UTTERANCES in this mod.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: July 08, 2013, 04:58:59 pm »

Mastahcheese, I'll incorporate your alcohol template and switch honeywine over to using it. Should make water grub unions happy! :)
Sweet! Drunkenness for everyone!
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: July 08, 2013, 05:19:18 pm »

For the digging item problem, we might just need to add a few more metals to be found on the surface. This might be related to the "my dwarves don't have iron" problem that happens in vanilla, which I think more or less happens because the civ couldn't find any of that metal. Simply adding more weapons grade metals, and making them relatively common, should help fix that problem. I think I might take a modding turn just to expand stone/metal/wood variety if no one else does that, but the turn list is getting pretty long so I doubt we'll still have only 2-3 types of stone 10 turns from now.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: July 08, 2013, 05:36:41 pm »

Okay, but that wasn't the issue here though. Halflings have an extra reaction to make shovels because they aren't supposed to mine for and work metal, except if you choose to do so in your fort (they can do it, they just don't care to, usually). They won't by design have metals on the civ level, which is unacceptable to DF as it requires digging implements to be made of metal when embarking, to the point of making them from a random metal if a civ doesn't have metals but does have said tools. A custom reaction specifying one made of wood circumvents this.

As for the formics, the problem was that they had copied the halflings' incomplete metalworking jobs. Their equipment must be made of metal and was set to be made of random things as a consequence. Once I manually gave them the furnace operating job to try it, they gained access to metals at embark. Leibowitz's current uploaded version does not have this fix yet though.

We'll probably get more stone and materials by that time, but shall I sign you up for a turn regardless?

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: July 08, 2013, 05:38:30 pm »

I've actually made stone/metal/wood/gems my turn's priority, so I highly doubt we're going to have these sorts of non-variety problems in the future. ;)
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: July 08, 2013, 05:38:48 pm »

Grrrr, working on wizards and they aren't working right.

They keep using their interaction that grants a friendly the gift of magic on enemies. Not sure how big of a problem this will be in actual play, since the odds of it recharging while in the middle of a fight are very low, since they can only use it about twice per season (might decrease after some testing), but it's still irritating, and potentially lethal having an enemy steal magic from you.
The Derail Thread

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: July 08, 2013, 05:51:34 pm »

Formics can make armor entirely of gems in worldgen/pre-embark mode:

Might be cool as a feature. Probably from [ITEMS_HARD] in stone template. I'm assuming can't be done in fort mode because there's no reaction to make armor from stone/gem.

Edit: wait, what?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 08, 2013, 05:53:59 pm »

Okay, I've got Pyromancers that throw fireballs now, and Geomancers that can hurl massive boulders. (Used StLeibowitz' Celestial Marble for the boulders, that stuff's lethal)

What other spells should be known?
The Derail Thread

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 08, 2013, 06:21:46 pm »

Formics can make armor entirely of gems in worldgen/pre-embark mode:

*snippety*

Might be cool as a feature. Probably from [ITEMS_HARD] in stone template. I'm assuming can't be done in fort mode because there's no reaction to make armor from stone/gem.

Edit: wait, what?

*snippety-snip*

It's not from the stone template; vanilla gems use a stone template that has [ITEMS_HARD] as well, and they don't have that quirk. It may be a problem with the Fallen Star gems themselves, I'll check. Actually, from the second pic, that's what it looks like, if they can be made into bars.

On magic: perhaps druids of some kind, able to cast webs, and at peace with nature?

EDIT: I'll upload Update 2. Maybe it's just a side effect of the lack of furnace operators - the gem cutters finally had their spot in the limelight and cornered the armor market or something  :-\
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 06:24:59 pm by StLeibowitz »

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: July 08, 2013, 06:33:46 pm »

I'm not sure that the bars can be used for anything even if they're there. I'll check.

Is the spider centaurs not having any kind of blood intentional? That's more important I think.

In fort mode, those bars can't be used to make anything - except anvils with the cast anvil reaction. Doing this yielded no less than 37 fallen star anvils from 4 fallen star bars.

I'm going to assume this is pretty profitable. However, you can't melt those anvils back into fallen star bars, so no infinite raw materials here. I'd say it's a pretty small bug by our standards.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 08, 2013, 06:57:48 pm »

Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug!

Update 2 of my turn is now up.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 261