Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Pioneer space sim - a free awesome great space sim worth looking at.  (Read 37519 times)

Doohl

• Bay Watcher
  • [OMNIPOTENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Pioneer space sim
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 05:51:27 pm »

I don't think my ATI card can handle this... it gives me a shader compile error on startup, and after that the game looks terrible; it's almost entirely colored squares.

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
  • The cheese stands alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 12:21:08 am »

This game almost gives off a Shores of Hazeron feel.
Economies of scale: Dathominion Co.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 12:23:03 am »

Except for lack of multiplayer, ship design, species design, wildlife, colonizing, city building... :P

Mostly yanking your chain. I'm hoping that Pioneer includes all of this in the future, and hopefully by that time I'll have a computer that can actually run this.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 12:38:28 pm »

I don't think my ATI card can handle this... it gives me a shader compile error on startup, and after that the game looks terrible; it's almost entirely colored squares.
My ATI card runs it just fine, other than the F2 menu.

Except for lack of multiplayer, ship design, species design, wildlife, colonizing, city building... :P

Mostly yanking your chain. I'm hoping that Pioneer includes all of this in the future, and hopefully by that time I'll have a computer that can actually run this.
Actually, there's some definite Pardus inpiration. Some of the ships have names, and easily recognizable models, of some of Pardus' ships(Viper Defence Craft, for example, which was actually the last ship I had when I played Pardus).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Doohl

• Bay Watcher
  • [OMNIPOTENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2012, 04:53:23 pm »

Well, I've gotten the game to work properly and I must say from what I've played I must say it's pretty amazing! It feels sort of unfinished, and navigation can at first be slightly frustrating. I was trying to navigate to one of Saturn's moons, and kept going so fast I couldn't stop in time to establish orbit. After about 5 fly-bys I was able to get close to Saturn, but went so fast I actually crashed into one of its moons and died.

EDIT: of course, being the blubbering idiot I am I completely ignored the autopilot feature.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 05:54:41 pm by Doohl »

Alehkhs

• Bay Watcher
  • The Sorrow of Poets
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2012, 06:52:12 pm »

Actually, there's some definite Pardus inpiration. Some of the ships have names, and easily recognizable models, of some of Pardus' ships(Viper Defence Craft, for example, which was actually the last ship I had when I played Pardus).

The Viper Defense Craft was a ship in the Elite series, from which Pioneer is inspired...
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Viper_Defence_Craft

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2012, 06:13:27 am »

Ugh, I wish there was an autopilot for landing on uninhabited planets. I've been struggling to land on this one planet for ages, I just crash and die every time.

EDIT: Can anyone figure out how to get those bloody cargo pods? I've got a cargo scoop, but I can never actually grab a pod.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 11:58:22 am by Supercharazad »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2012, 07:13:54 pm »

I'm currently hating the new fuel mechanic. Depending on the system you arrive in, you might be 100 AU or more from the nearest space station, and if you try to autopilot there you'll run out long before you start to slow down. The only real solution is to point wherever you're going and start manually...but if you want to get there in less than an hour (even at fastest timewarp speed), you need to be going very fast, which again will burn much of your fuel, not to mention slowing down again (something the autopilot seems incapable of doing properly, usually slingshotting back and forth). If you run out, game over. There's no recovery system, no "emergency power" to limp towards the nearest fuel station. Game over, even if you're a few hundred meters from the station. Tempted to go back a version.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2012, 07:30:49 pm »

That is how the original games, Frontier 2 and FFE worked. You could just learn to manage your fuel better. Good rule of thumb (used often in real life), plan for 1/3 of your fuel to get there, 1/3 to get back, and 1/3 in case something comes up. So, when you're accelerating to your destination, don't use more than 1/3 of your available fuel. It will then take 1/3 to slow you down again, under normal circumstances. That still leaves you with 1/3 to play around with in case you mis-plan or the autopilot decides to be a bit wonky. So what if it takes you a bit long? That's how it works sometimes. If it's really that bad, jump out of that system to somewhere else and try to avoid going there.

Also save. It's a skill many of us(myself included) have lost as games have implemented autosave and held our hands more and more, but when the original game came out, you saved, often.

If you're patient enough, and plan things well enough, you'd be surprised how much maneuvering you can do with almost no fuel, just have to take advantage of what is there, namely gravity.

subzeroplainzero

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2012, 12:15:28 pm »

Water is used to power your thrusters (as weird as that sounds) Just carry some along with you and you can refuel at any point via your cargo menu.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2012, 12:36:55 pm »

Water is used to power your thrusters (as weird as that sounds) Just carry some along with you and you can refuel at any point via your cargo menu.
What? WHAT.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2012, 11:45:59 am »

I'm assuming your engines are capable of seperating the hydrogen and oxygen.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2012, 06:04:37 pm »

Weird, Elite 2 used hydrogen, not water, for fuel... straight from your hold for jumps (man hyper travel is cheap) and from your thruster tank for... thrust.

But either way, yeah, you should fill your tank from the cargo menu. Depending on the size of ship, I remember you could need more than 1 ton of fuel.

I don't think I've played Pioneer long enough without crashing into something or doing some "unlawful discharge" and having the entire Galaxy Police trying to murdalize me.

Polly Cistronic

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2012, 03:04:41 pm »

It seems like it invariably crashes whenever I open the F2 menu. It shows for a second, then the program closes.

Hey Akura!

I had the same issues.  Turn off the shaders, and then you should be able to load the star map.  The first thing I did when I started playing (if you can call it that, it's more like deriving inspiration and achieving a steady and non-depleting fix of wonderment) was to up all the graphics options including turning on the shaders.  Then I experienced the crashing on hitting F2, so I reserved each item one by one until I could get the program stable again.  Not sure if the same will work for you, but I suspect so.

Phenomenal piece of software, btw.  I was in love with the experience of KSP a few months ago.  This defies my ability to classify.  Simply must-play (there's that word again) for anyone who's ever looked into the night.  A tremendous jumping off point for future development into groovy applications too.  The future of space (in code) is bright.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2014, 12:07:13 am »

bit of a bump the game continues to move ahead.  Some mods are available, they continue to develop it, i guess new developers contributing code in C++ and visual basic are always welcomed, mission modding is easy.   Otherwise this great visually attractive game
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11