Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27

Author Topic: Shadowrun Returns - Let's Kickstart this into space  (Read 50861 times)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowrun Returns - Let's Kickstart this into space
« Reply #360 on: January 13, 2015, 01:42:54 pm »

After making two games they can't finance a third on their own, even when using the same game engine?

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 13, 2015, 01:47:17 pm »

After making two games they can't finance a third on their own, even when using the same game engine?

Game is already in development, they just want extra budget for stuff they'd otherwise have to cut. It's a 100.000$ goal, 300.000$ if you count all stretch goals.

Personally, I backed it as soon as I got off work. Both Dead Man's Switch and Dragonfall were good games that managed to entertain and immerse more than most recent AAA productions.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 01:48:53 pm by Sartain »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 13, 2015, 02:00:18 pm »

I haven't played Dragonfall yet. Is it significantly better than Returns? Because I was pretty disappointed with Returns. Pretty much was a mobile game in spirit and execution.

Also I've decided I don't really want to support the "New Kickstarter every year so we can stay in development" model. I haven't yet played a Kickstarter title by anyone that merits more of the same.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 02:02:56 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 13, 2015, 02:14:03 pm »

I haven't played Dragonfall yet. Is it significantly better than Returns? Because I was pretty disappointed with Returns. Pretty much was a mobile game in spirit and execution.

Hard question to answer.  I think it was significantly better if you LIKED Returns.  If you didn't like it, maybe this isn't worth your time either? 

Follows the same formula, but the game has been improved here and there.  Save anywhere, take side missions and explore optional subplots instead of following a one-track script (its still a linear story, just with some branches to explore), slightly improved combat model.

I think several of the core game improvements made it into Returns in patches, so depending on what displeased you, you might find it playable.  Based on your "mobile" complaint, I'm guessing you were upset about the limited save points.  I think that has been fixed on Returns, definitely on Berlin.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 13, 2015, 02:15:14 pm »

I thought Dragonfall was MUCH better than Returns(which I enjoyed, but did have some flaws).  I had way more fun with it. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 13, 2015, 02:15:22 pm »

Also I've decided I don't really want to support the "New Kickstarter every year so we can stay in development" model. I haven't yet played a Kickstarter title by anyone that merits more of the same.

Significantly better and they also released a Director's Cut which should be even better, but I haven't played that one yet (but I'm making a character for it right now!)
I liked Dead Man's Switch as well. The engine has some limitations which affects both games but all in all I think they're both pretty great and I'm looking forward to more.

And I don't really see what's wrong with a Kickstarter model that keeps a developer in business AND lets me get cheap games :D

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 13, 2015, 02:21:30 pm »

Well, it was more the bland nature of character upgrades, the ginormous buttons and yeah, the save mechanics. But also like, the near total absence of interacting with environment, how combat was pretty by the numbers. Not as a product of mobile, just a product of a game with a tight deadline and budget.

And I don't really see what's wrong with a Kickstarter model that keeps a developer in business AND lets me get cheap games :D

It becomes a problem for me when it feels like the cart (staying in business publisher-free) comes before the horse (a great game idea that they must make, by hook or by crook.) You end up with a workman-like product a lot of the time.

Besides. I've never thought crowd-funding was a good way to pay salaries and rent for an entire company. Two guys doing bedroom development? Sure. Dev houses with hundreds of thousands of dollars of overhead, health insurance to pay, ect...before the actual business of making the game? No.

But this isn't a Kickstarter gripe thread, so I'll drop it there.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 02:27:59 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 13, 2015, 02:43:18 pm »

the near total absence of interacting with environment, how combat was pretty by the numbers.

Yeah, this is still pretty much the case.  you cant blow open doors or shoot through walls or light things on fire (excepting for DOT effects).  There are optimal strategies to use in combat.  You can only hack scripted things.  non-shootey interactions are pretty by-the-book.

On the other hand, there is usually an airduct for your rigger and a free-summon for your caster.  Matrix is better in Berlin than in DMS.

Honestly I cheated my character so I could play through the combats faster and just enjoy the storyline.  It really felt like classic Shadowrun, and managed to feel significantly less idiotic than the majority of the printed game material from the past few years. 

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 13, 2015, 02:45:51 pm »

Well I already own DF so it's just a matter of working up the will to play it. I guess I'll have to check out their new KS, see if they've learned anything from the last two releases and are changing form.

Yeah, this is still pretty much the case.

Really it was just there weren't enough scripted interactions in DMS. I think I recall....two or three. Which, compared to like the Sega SR game or even the SNES, was far too few.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 02:47:40 pm by nenjin »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 13, 2015, 02:53:23 pm »

I never finished Deadman's Switch and haven't gotten around to Dragonfall, but I threw money at this Hong Kong business.  I figure the more dollars that goes in, those "nice to haves" that made DMS a problem for me to stay interested will go away.

If not, that's fine too, I'm fine throwing $15 at an IP I want people to know is something I have an interest in.  Money where my mouth is, so to speak (and that also goes towards not-supporting SR5 table-top because Catalyst has been rife with problems and the bad products that have come out as a result are not ones I want to support).

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 13, 2015, 04:12:43 pm »

Honestly I'd pay 15$ for a decent addition to the toolset alone. Getting another 12-15 hour campaign on top of that is almost just a bonus  :)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 13, 2015, 08:09:07 pm »

Geez, I go to pledge when I'm off work and its already doubled its goal.   :o
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 13, 2015, 08:13:48 pm »

Geez, I go to pledge when I'm off work and its already doubled its goal.   :o

And that's when you realize that there are a butt ton of people who like Shadowrun.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 13, 2015, 08:41:48 pm »

And that's another reason Kickstarter isn't just about the funding, it also works to measure interest so you don't spend money making something nobody wants.

EDIT: This part of the FAQ is interesting:

I loved your previous games on tablet. Why aren't you making the game for tablets?

Focus = Quality. We have elected to focus all our efforts on PC in order to deliver the best game we can without the current processing and memory limitations of tablets. This focus allows us to have higher-fidelity visuals, larger map sizes, and more stuff on screen.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 08:45:22 pm by Sergius »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 13, 2015, 09:02:37 pm »

Shoulda done that the first time around...

Although to be fair both their focus and their team experience at the time was in mobile/tablet. Maybe they've got the confidence and the financial security to just focus on PC this time.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27