Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXXIII: u no can has ch33zburgers (9/9)  (Read 52081 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Beginner's Mafia XXXIII: u no can has ch33zburgers (9/9)
« on: April 26, 2012, 05:26:42 am »

Beginner's Mafia XXXIII
I'm in ur gaem, lynching ur players.

Introduction

This version of the game is aimed specifically at players who are new to Mafia, or are still relatively inexperienced. Here, it's more about having fun and learning than anything else, so don't give up hope if you find yourself in a bad position!
This Beginners' Mafia will feature playing ICs. This means that two more experienced people will join in the game to help you guys out and will actually be playing in the game. They can also be scum too, so always stay suspicious!
The ICs will never lie to you about the game mechanics though, and will usually have a special IC voice to use when they want to teach you guys, since their goal will be to get you guys ready for a real Mafia game. Just because they're playing doesn't mean you can't learn!

Gameplay and Concept

In Mafia, you are divided into two parts: 7 Town players and 2 Mafia players:

If you are Town, your goal is to lynch the Mafia. You do this by convincing others that one of the group is scum, and getting enough votes on them to lynch them.  The Town does not know who else is Town.

If you are Mafia, your goal is to kill off the Town until there is an equal number of them to you by getting them to lynch other Town or by killing them. You are given a kill each Night to kill any player in the game.  All the Mafia members know each other, and can communicate privately.

Each Day, everyone votes to lynch a player.  Vote for a player by posting their name in red.  You may change your vote at any time, remove your vote, or vote for No Lynch. Whoever has the most votes at the end of the day gets lynched, even if there is no majority. (Example: Nobody votes except for one guy, who votes Generic_Steve. Generic_Steve would get lynched). If you have a great deal of suspicion for someone, but don't want to vote for them just yet, point their name out in blue.

The Day will not end prematurely unless people vote to shorten the day. That is, there is no "hammer" in Beginner's Mafia, where X amount of votes (more than 50%) on a single person immediately ends the day with a lynch on that person. Some games do that, but not this one, and you would be explicitly informed in the rules if the hammer is active.

If there are tied votes for who gets lynched at the end of the day, the day ends in a no-lynch. (Two people vote for Generic_Steve, two people vote for Unassuming_Mary. Nobody gets lynched.) 

Each Night, you send in your actions. The cycle continues until one side wins. Days are 72 hours and nights are 24 hours. W33kends count for zero hours.

Rules and Guidelines
  • You may not PM other players other than the mod. The mafia will have a place to talk to themselves.
  • Never edit your posts, even to fix typos!  If you make a mistake, just double post- it's permitted here. Violation of this rule can lead to deadly repercussions.  I recommend using the preview button every time you post.
  • Never quote your role PM or any other PM sent to you by the mod.
  • If you n33d more time to discuss, you may ask for an extension.  If more players ask for one than those who decline one, the day will be extended by 48 hours.
    • There are no limit to the number of extensions allowed per day.

• Please don't forget about this game if you sign up! If you cannot continue playing, please ask for a replacement! I will prod you via PM if you do not post in 48 hours to remind you that this game exists!
    • Note that a Mafia game usually takes a long time to finish: two w33ks at least, and sometimes even longer than a month. Be ready for this.
    • Upon receiving your second prod, you are forcibly replaced (Another player takes your place) or modkilled (removed from the game) for inactivity. Beware.

• Upon being killed, you are entitled to one "Bah!" post, but you are not allowed to post any game-related content. After your Bah post, you MUST NOT POST AGAIN unless you somehow come back to life (impossible in this setup) or replace back in (you must have b33n town to do this). Failure to comply with this rule can lead to a bad reputation amongst mods, and difficulty in joining other games.
  • Never underestimate your importance, and always play to win!
In this setup, there are the possibility of extra roles. These roles are Cop and Doctor for Town, and Roleblocker and Godfather for Mafia.
  • A Cop inspects any player at Night. They are told that player's alignment, but not their role.
  • A Doctor may protect any player at Night. This stops that player from being killed.
  • A Roleblocker stops an extra role from using an action. This stops Doctors and Cops but does nothing for Townies.
    • Roleblockers do not actually discover if their attempts were successful or not; that would be too powerful because the roleblocker would know they found a town power role. It isn't an investigative role (the same goes for the Doctor)! The Mafia n33ds to find the town power roles the old-fashioned way: analyzing behavior and voting patterns.
    • Townies do not receive a message if they were blocked by a Mafia Roleblocker. Only a Cop or a Doctor will receive a message.

• A Godfather, if investigated by a Cop, looks just like a normal Townie.
There is a 50% chance for any of these roles to show up. It is possible to end up with no extra roles.

Extensions require support from at least one of the players.  You may oppose extensions as well, which cancels out an extension request.  For example, if there were five players, with two requesting and two opposing, there would be no extension.  (2-2 = 0 of 5)

Along with opposing extensions, there is also the option to Shorten/End the Day. They work differently from extensions, 33% required to pass with no objections. Shortening the Day ends the Day makes the day end as quickly as I can process it. Due to the nature of these requests, they also act just like Counter-Extensions.

Please bold requests/opposition to extensions, and Mod/my name if you want to ask me a question in-thread.  (IE: Mod: I have a question!)

Attendance Sh33t

Players:
  • obolisk0430
  • Dr Phibes
  • borno
  • Jiokuy
  • Hapah
  • Karlito
  • Lord Allagon
ICs:
  • Shakerag
  • Urist Imiknorris
  • Non-playing Mafia IC: Toaster who toasts toasts
  • Non-playing perma-IC: Jim
Player Replacement Queue:

Frequently Asked Questions

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Resources
Our own Bay12 Mafia tutorial
The Notable Games archive. Read a famous game from start to finish! Learn some Mafia history.
The Mafiascum wiki. Lots of theory, terminology, and game analysis.
An Interactive Flash tutorial by one of the Mafiascum.net people. Helpful visualization!

Notes:
-Renamed "Appearing Too Townie" because as it was, the name would encourage people to lynch good players, not scummy ones.
-Roles have been already rolled, so who gets to be what depends entirely on who joins when. Theoretically makes no difference to role distribution - just as random as ever.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 01:08:05 am by Darvi »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXXIII: I can has players? [0/7; 0/2; 0/1]
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 05:37:46 am »

IN!

:I

obolisk0430

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 11:34:10 am »

Sorry about my lurking in BMXXXI (I think that was the one I was in).  I'll definately try to play this one better.
Let this be a lesson to us all: Immortality is only temporary. That's why its called immortality.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 12:14:05 pm »

ICs:
  • Come on Jim I know you want to.

No way, man. I'm still on my mafia vacation and enjoying it way too much to sign up for any games right now.

IN!

Dude, you're fine. You don't need another one of these.

The best way for you to learn now is to sharpen your skills against all the other players in the forum.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Dr.Phibes

• Bay Watcher
  • More than meets the eye
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 12:26:04 pm »

I am freakin, IN!
If one person has an imaginary friend, they're crazy, if many people have the same imaginary friend it's religion?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 12:33:52 pm »

IN!

Dude, you're fine. You don't need another one of these.

The best way for you to learn now is to sharpen your skills against all the other players in the forum.

I agree- you're not going to learn anything against new players.  Throw in with the big boys.

Also, scum IC in.  Note I'll be out of town tomorrow and Saturday, so I won't have anything to say if the game starts before that.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 12:46:05 pm »

I agree with Jim. About Tiruin I mean. Not about his not wanting to be an IC.

While you could do with improving your play it's nothing that can only be fixed with a BM. Regular games should do.

Also since nobody has objected way back when Shakerag asked if he could be an IC I guess he can have the spot.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXXIII: I can has players? [2/7; 1/2; 1/1]
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 02:54:12 pm »

PTW
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXXIII: I can has players? [2/7; 1/2; 1/1]
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 03:09:59 pm »

IN.

Jiokuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Morning comes whether you set the alarm or not
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXXIII: I can has players? [3/7; 1/2; 1/1]
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 06:03:53 pm »

I'll admit I'm a fair bit Intrigued.

Now I'm going to have to find an avatar, won't :I.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 06:55:48 pm »

Alright then, thanks for the recommendation everyone!  :D

Good Blessings to all who participate this time!

Now I'm going to have to find an avatar, won't :I.

Nope.  :P Avatars are not needed to play.

PTW
PTW

Won't you two want in?

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 07:36:23 pm »

Won't you two want in?
I could try being an IC if nobody else calls IC, but I'm not sure if I'd do a good job. I blasted through the last BM with pure logic and manipulation skills, but I'm probably severely lacking in experience.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 07:45:05 pm »

Fresh blood is IN.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22