Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: migrant skills not so random...  (Read 5542 times)

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
migrant skills not so random...
« on: May 01, 2012, 02:29:29 am »

Third wave of the first year in another of my fun fortresses and that's what I see on dftherapist... a ton of dorf, at least 20, all with adequate OR great skill

so, I feel some rage now, why should I keep a great soapmaker,fish dissector, animal caretaker paired with adequate planter or smith skills?

shouldn't skills be more random in the creation of migrant dorfs? why do I have only GREAT idiots and adequate usefull dorfs?
http://dwarffortressitalia.tumblr.com/

Italian blog about Dwarf Fortress

Il primo blog italiano su Dwarf Fortress

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
Re: migrant skills not so random...
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 03:09:15 am »

The migrants have the skills they acquired in their lives while worldgen is active. So no, it isn't random in that sense.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

vicwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 03:40:11 am »

Then during my world gen i got a bunch of lazy bastards the only ones whit good skills are vampires,i wouldn't care to sacrifice the useless ones to keep my vampires working.

redsector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 06:10:30 am »

Well, as I already said in the "little questions" thread, I've also noticed that the migrants' skills do not seem that random, actually.

- in one fort, everyone came with either no skill, or level 2 in the various "farming" skills.
- in another fort, everyone had either no skill, level 2 in some skill or level 11 in some skill. This time, they were spread evenly across every skill, but only these two levels. Nothing in between, only level 2s and 11s.
- in a third fort, there were only military migrants, everyone had some sort of weapon skill, armor user, shield user and whatnot, but everything between levels 3 and 5. No less, no more.

I don't know if it's supposed to work this way or not. Yeah, migrants are drawn from historic populations and worldgen influences their skills, but you would expect at least SOME randomness in their respective skill levels. As it is now, it sure makes migrant waves too predictable and somewhat boring. "Oh, hey, another 20 migrants. Let's just quickly separate the level 2s from the level 11s to decide who gets a nice new bedroom/workshop/stockpile complex to work in and who gets thrown in the goblin pit".

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 06:28:30 am »

fort always needs more haulers
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 06:29:12 am »

Just remember to turn the hauling off for the legendary guys when you have enough peasant rabble.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 08:34:25 am »

As far as I understand it, the Immigrants that show up are related to the types of skills that you do not have.  So since you don't HAVE a legendary cheesemaker, you're more likely to get one.

That means you won't be getting too many good miners or craftsdwarves.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

SaberMonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 09:40:52 am »

Jeoshua, that makes sense until I start counting the number of migrants I receive with fishing-related skills. I've received several level 10 fishermen in my current fort alone. It's ridiculous because this always happens to me whether there is decent fishing in the area or not!

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 11:05:43 am »

The migrants have the skills they acquired in their lives while worldgen is active. So no, it isn't random in that sense.
i got that, but why I get only great and adequate skills?

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 11:07:12 am »

As far as I understand it, the Immigrants that show up are related to the types of skills that you do not have.  So since you don't HAVE a legendary cheesemaker, you're more likely to get one.

That means you won't be getting too many good miners or craftsdwarves.
don't think so, I keep getting a ton of adequate fishermen and no crafters...

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 11:11:31 am »

Don't depend on migrants for your skills. Train them yourself. Train weaponsmiths and armorsmiths on low-value metals to conserve on iron and steel; or if you have a lot of silver train them on warhammers.

If you have a long-running fort, you can even train children as farmers, if you burrow them and a single planter into your farms. They'll grow up with good farmer skills, and many of them will have a strange mood during childhood. If they're not possessed, they'll usually become craftsdwarves of some sort.

But that all depends on whether you like to run a fort for fifty years, or take risks and have it fall in Year Three.

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 12:37:15 am »

well for now I have the artifact deactivated from the .ini, as long as there isn't an use for a artifact rock craft, moods are only another pain in the arse

and I have a lot of problem with burrows for single dwarfs only, just learned how to burrow civilian with alerts, i'm ok with this for now lol

and btw, children don't starve if u burrow them only on the farms? i should burrow some food and booze too and some beds...

redsector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 11:39:45 am »

Ok, I'll bring this up once more. I started another 4 forts, played them until the big 2nd spring migrant wave arrived and observed their skills. They came with skills across the board, but the skill levels are definitely NOT randomized.

- Labor skills are at either no level at all, VERY rarely at level 1, and then either level 2 or level 11 (about 50/50).
- Military skills at none at all (about 2/3), otherwise either level 1 or level 3
- Social skills rarely at level 7, otherwise at either level 8 or level 12 (about 90% of all migrants come at least one of those)

That's it, nothing else, no exceptions. Level 2 is "adequate", level 11 is "great", so it all does correspond to what Raven initially reported. It's not that I would like to have more high-level migrants or more completely useless migrants or whatever, I don't care about that. It's just those numbers, as they seem totally not random, and it's boring to have huge hordes of level 2s, hordes of level 11s and pretty much nothing else except those whom you trained up yourself. In DF2010, you could get pretty much anything, from dabbling to grandmaster. Yeah, I know, historic migrants and so on, but I just can't believe there's only two types of worker dwarves in the world, either beginners or almost-masters and nothing in between?

I don't know if it's intended or bugged and I don't dare report it to the bugtracker (feel free to do so, if you're able to reproduce it). I'm playing version 34.07, completely unmodded except for Ironhand's tileset, so that can't be the reason.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 11:43:41 am by redsector »

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 01:31:35 am »

and it's boring to have huge hordes of level 2s, hordes of level 11s and pretty much nothing else except those whom you trained up yourself.

I agree completely

I don't know if it's intended or bugged and I don't dare report it to the bugtracker (feel free to do so, if you're able to reproduce it). I'm playing version 34.07, completely unmodded except for Ironhand's tileset, so that can't be the reason.
yea it seems bugged or at least not intentional to me, and I play in the same conditions

if somedorf would like to report it, it would be much appreciated

AVE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 02:06:05 am »

The skill distribution pretty much depends on 2 parameters: history length of the world (more years passed - more skilled migrants) and quantity of abandoned forts in that world. So, lesser history is beneficial. To make it just enough for curses distribution (and megabeasts survival) and not making up skills is an exercise of trial and error.
Pages: [1] 2