Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My Dwarves built the Parthenon (Image-heavy)  (Read 15040 times)

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My Dwarves built the Parthenon (Image-heavy)
« on: May 08, 2012, 12:08:13 am »

Well, it's finally finished. Thanks to the people who pointed me toward architectural drawings, and thanks to the people who made Overseer (and fixed my silly version incompatibility problem so I could use it). Also thanks to the ancient Greeks, who had no clue their architectural genius was going to be shamelessly copied by booze-soaked beards on legs.

Overview of the whole thing. The colored rocks are supposed to be a rainbow but that didn't quite work out... ah, well. In the real Parthenon, the area was covered by carvings, and archeologists figure that the sculptures used to be painted in bright colors when they were new.

View of the treasure room, where the priests used to put sacrifices and donations and things. Naturally, I turned it into the fort's artifact room.

View of the main chamber. This is where the statue of Athena would have stood. Since the statue was much larger than a single dwarf-made marble statue, I have yet to put anything here. The space is 13 tiles wide. Any ideas?

The Building:
Dimensions: 134x71x40, built underground from Z-level 53 to 93
Materials: Approximately 60,000 blocks of white stone, almost exclusively marble, smoothed into blocks before construction.
Decoration: 704 masterwork marble statues.

The Dwarven Parthenon was built underground. Much of the scaffolding did not have to be constructed, but was mined out before building and left in place to serve as scaffolding, speeding up construction significantly.

A lot of the building is actually hollow--inside the walls, under the foundation, in the pillars, etc. More room for the builders and scaffolding, less stone needed.

I planned out the building and its dimensions before beginning construction, using lots of photos of the real Parthenon and, ironically, Microsoft Paint, since it has grid and ruler features.

The Fortress:
Population: 70
Casualties Suffered During Construction: 79
Forgotten Beasts Killed: 25
Legendary Masons Alive: 32

Cheats Used:
DFHack--Cleanmap and Autodestroy for FPS management
Tiletypes--Used to create more marble to mine out for the building. No part of the building was actually created with tiletypes; each block was mined and smoothed by dwarves, but I realized that it would be impossible to find enough marble on a single embark, so to avoid a multicolored Parthenon I resorted to refilling existing marble layers for dwarves to mine out.

I got lucky with an unusually peaceful area. I left invaders on, but because the area has no neighboring civilizations other than dwarves, the only combat came from the local giant capybara population and the forgotten beasts which occasionally came to nose about the fortress. One beast killed several marksdwarves with a deadly syndrome causing blisters that affected every. single. organ. Seriously, they even had blisters on their spleens. (And lungs, which caused them to suffocate.) One beast was made of periclase, another of ice. Thank goodness for the steel-battleaxe squad.

So there it is. I think it looks nice, but needs more magma.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
Re: My Dwarves built the Parthenon (Image-heavy)
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 12:18:28 am »

I just want to say... kudos. Megaprojects can be daunting, but yours is finished.
It's also pretty cool. The Ancient Greeks were cool bros.
If you have the energy and motivation to continue, I agree that it needs more magma.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 12:19:44 am »

That's fucking beautiful.

What else could one possibly say?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 12:20:46 am »

That really is incredible. Wow.

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 12:28:58 am »

Amazing. Absolutely incredible.

Fill the hollow parts with magma.
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 12:51:54 am »

As I said in my thread, this is one of the most impressive things I've seen. Excellent work!

If, by the way, you want to make that rainbow actually be a rainbow, you can edit the displayed colors for the minerals in question in Overseer/xml/colors/*.xml to match what you were expecting.

I look forward to seeing what you do with the statue and magma.  :D

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 12:55:31 am »

Well done.

Utterly pointless and ridiculously ornate. As such, a worthy megaconstruction.

The 13-across item to take up the centre should of course be an enormous magma waterfall surrounded by magma-safe statues of dwarves being dwarfy and wrestling alligators or some such.
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.

Gamzee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 01:00:20 am »

This is amazing

I'd really like to see an ingame screenshot or two though if you get the time, just because I'm not very familiar with overseer

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 01:36:27 am »

Incredible... Truly amazing.

And for the space... Whatever you do must contain magma.
THE DEMONS ESCAPED MY ICE TRAP AND NOW MY LAST WARRIOR IS SMACKING THEM ALL DOWN WITH HER DECEASED TODDLER OH GOD THE BOOZE JUST EXPLODED AND THERE'S SMOKE AND FIRE EVERYWHERE JESUS CHRIST.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 01:41:47 am »

I recommend building a statue of your preferred dwarven 'saint'.  I think that Tholtig would be the most appropriate analogue to Athena, don't you?

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 02:01:42 am »

Totally awesome.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 02:34:09 am »

Holy epic temple, Batman! o_0
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 03:26:15 am »

Impressive! Great work!
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 06:45:38 am »

Looks awesome!

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 09:52:39 am »

very awesome,
I am curious do they live inside it? Or is it pure decoration/
You should get some full screen shots in Stonesense of it in well so we can see some better detail on it. :D
No slight against the new Overseerer Visualizer of course.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?
Pages: [1] 2