Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 46

Author Topic: The "How Does Minecart" Thread  (Read 322195 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: The "How Does Minecart" Thread
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2012, 03:35:31 pm »

I wonder how dependent on weight the skipping is. If it was full of metal bars, would it have not made it?

edit: Dwarf guiding pushes the cart along the track, and up ramps. This was with an empty cart, though.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 05:46:05 pm by penguinofhonor »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2012, 05:45:36 pm »

Distance doesn't seem to depend on weight.  Alder carts and iron carts traveled the same distance in a short test - although I had conflicting results.  At some points the carts would go inexplicably much further or slightly shorter.  It seemed to be related to creates.  I think carts may be able to come down on a creature and skip over the creature's head as if it were water.

DanteThanatos

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:hollow eyes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2012, 05:59:02 pm »

Thats cool. Hmm sometime from now someone is going to make an Emergency Burrow:

The fort is about to fall and then the player activates the Emergency. All capable dwarfs will try to make to Escape pods carts that fall some z ramps and skid over water and/or air.(Or magma)

On the other side there are beds/wood, farms, food and fresh water.
The dwarf then get out of the cart and push it to a roller that send the cart over to the other survivors so they too can save themselves.Or not.

Edit: little mistake I made.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2012, 06:05:19 pm »

Not very viable for mass escape.  But it can get your important dwarves away, like the weaponsmith, armorsmith, brewer, baron more brewers.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2012, 06:23:36 pm »

If you had enough parallel escape tracks within an escape burrow, you could add all the dwarves to the burrow and enable whatever hauling task you are using (possibly booze hauling, so each dwarf could escape with a barrel or two), and they should all escape, so long as you can keep enough carts available.  You might want to make two burrows, one that you assign a few important dwarves to in order to guarantee their escape, and the other is the escape burrow for the less useful dwarves.  This would make sure that the peasants can't jump the line and all escape, leaving the weaponsmith behind.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2012, 06:23:49 pm »

I tried sending a cart with a rider down a 25z ramp and across the cavern lake (north to south):

How large a mist cloud does that create? 

I wonder if automated cart skips across small ponds can be used in dining halls as mist generators. 

Anyway, you seemed to lose about 20% of your forward momentum each skip. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2012, 06:45:31 pm »

Cart-powered mist generators appear to be very possible and relatively lag-free!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2012, 06:54:08 pm »

I'm imagining a dining room where, once every ten seconds, a cart flies into the room, skips across the central pool, and bounces into a hole on the opposite wall.

Bonus points if the minecart path is just a common one that you use and not one made specifically for the dining room, so there's items and dwarves in these carts as they fly through.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2012, 07:01:05 pm »

I've found something interesting.  In trying to build a shotgun, I've built a long ramp, a row of fortifications, and then a depot.  You know, so I can fire wooden crafts at the elves.  Except it was the dwarven caravan who happened to arrive.  And it was iron spears.

So, first test fire:
1: A caravan marksdwarf is accidentally standing on the track instead of remaining in the depot.
2: The cart barrels down the constructed hill and slams into the marksdwarf at a rate of about 2 ticks per tile.
3: The marksdwarf is sent flying through the fortifications!
4: The iron spears shotgun out, and strike the marksdwarf while the dwarf is in flight multiple times.
5: The dwarf hits the bridge at the other side of the depot and falls to the ground.

Thoroughly epic.

But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2012, 07:09:23 pm »

New use for minecarts! In trying to get my minecarts to skip over water, it seems they have to be empty to skip over water, so after trying with items twice, I decided to try it empty, and now the cart got stuck on top of the other two carts, and the rider is stranded on the lake, that rider also happens to be my mayor, so I'm not going to save him.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2012, 07:24:42 pm »

Protip: Dwarf-guided carts ignore rollers. So you can have one-way rollers and then just have a dwarf guide the cart back over them.

Ves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2012, 07:41:42 pm »

In these two pictures, all flat track is rollers.

At 1, the Dwarf falls out of the cart they're riding, but the cart continues down the track.

At 2, the cart slides back to 1, then gets boosted back to 2, then slides back to 1, forever.

Any suggestions on how to fix?
« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2012, 08:06:18 pm »

I need to build some damn minecarts and tracks :X

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2012, 08:24:20 pm »

Do minecarts full of !!lignite!! act the same way as bins, in the sense that they can cook away an ocean?

Sroge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2012, 08:52:31 pm »

Just started playing DF after a long break, and came back to see that minecarts have been added.

So... What's so useful about them, besides moving things faster?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 46