Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Dwarven Relativity; The Dwarven Knowledge Centre  (Read 92648 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Dwarven Relativity; The Dwarven Knowledge Centre
« on: June 07, 2011, 06:33:18 pm »

Title subject to change without notice.

This is an attempt at centralizing dwarven knowledge, ideas, and experiences, namely by myself.  I reserve a large portion of this thread to show off my own achievements, inventions, and discoveries, but a healthy section of the thread will be devoted to the gathering of knowledge and notable events from other sources.

Ladies, Gentlemen, and Those Otherwise Inclined, I present to you, possibly, the first dwarven library...

Personal Modding
Bacon Tree

Useful Creations/Quirks
Dry Construction
Animal Powered Watchtower
"The Undump" Quantum Stockpiler
Full Pit Guide for Difficult Creatures (with great images)
Magma Related
Safer Volcano Tapping (.32.25)
Even Safer Volcano Tapping (.34.05)
Low Lag Magma Pump Stack
No Retaining Wall Magma Pump Stack
Mechanically Powered Volcano
Magma Piston
Obsidian Machine Gun
Water Related
Randomized Liquid Repeater
Handling Aquifers, as illustrated in Oilfurnace's founding
Ice Related
Freeze-A-Siege (and a further list of other freezers)
Dwarf Related
Danger Room Explanation
Putting the DANGER in Danger Rooms!
Reloading Marksdwarves
Vampiric Water Sources
Numbers and Science
Generating Tiny Island Maps
The New Taming Rules
Specialsurprise: The Science of Falling Damage
Table for Grazing Animals (.25 - climates have identical growth rates, subject to change with updates)
Dual-Wielding Shields in Fortress Mode
The Science of Magma Mist
Hydrodynamics and Water Pressure
Sins Against Nature
Collapsing a Necromancer's Tower
Penetrating SMR.

Tips, Tricks, and Exploits
Road-dar (Dwarven Subsurface Radar)
Building a ‼Well‼
Embarking on a Kobold Camp

Threads of Interest
Mermaid Farming
Sea Serpent Farming
One Dwarf Against the World
The Infamous Boatmurdered (also PDF)
Bronzemurder
Oilfurnace

Mods of Interest
Fortress Defense (with sprites)
Genesis Mod

Utilities
Dwarf Therapist
DFHack
Runesmith
DFusion
Quickfort
NanoFortress
Overseer
Stonesense

Personal Mention(s)
Cacame Apebalded the Immortal Onslaught; Elf King of the Dwarves

All should feel free to comment, discuss, necro, and add their own ideas.  Anything worth adding can be put into its own thread, or added directly into this one with a link added to that particular post.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 12:40:05 pm by Girlinhat »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Relativity; The Dwarven Knowledge Centre
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 06:34:00 pm »

A word on Dwarven Relativity:

This is my new standard for judging ideas.  Each idea is judged according to its resource cost (in raw materials), its complexity or difficulty (how challenging it is to implement), it's danger (loss of dwarven life), its lethality (loss of miscellaneous non-dwarven life), and its Utility (how much good it does).  For example, the Animal Powered Watchtower has a Low resource cost, a handful of stones and a few windows, a Low complexity, it's simply a box, the hardest part is building the wall once the animal is placed, Zero danger, if a dwarf died, you're doing it very wrong, Zero lethality, it detects some ambushes and thieves, but will not do any physical damage to anyone, and a Medium utility, it can detect ambushes and save many lives by sounding the alert early.

Other projects and ideas will be rated according to these 5 standards, weighted for dwarven standards.  By dwarven standards, a magma drowning chamber is not difficult, and losing a dozen lives due to an accidental cave-in is considered acceptable losses.  Thus, all ratings are relative to dwarven methods.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 06:41:20 pm by Girlinhat »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 06:34:23 pm »

<also reserved>

Max176

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 07:11:10 pm »

Great idea! It should be helpful if you need a cool idea, or just need some utilities. What about adding Lazy Newb Pack to utilities?
I'm mining out and admixture every section of adamant ore I can get my easily on to alternation my armoursmith up to allegorical so he can accomplish actively alarming armour for my aggressive. again I'm traveling to do the aforementioned for weapons.

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 07:13:48 pm »

What about adding this under the Useful creations section?

Great idea by the way... (yours not mine)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 07:17:53 pm by Root Infinity »
Classic Medieval sexist views are awesome when they work out in your favor.
Noone likes my witty comments enough to sig them.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 08:14:55 pm »

It is a nice idea to have all of these insights, useful ideas, useful mods, and much-referenced threads all in one place.

I'd like to nominate The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World as a Thread of Interest, as well. It isn't as famous as the legendary Boatmurdered, of course, but it is reasonably well-known, and was certainly an epic project.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 08:22:36 pm »

Morul can't be in without Cap'n Ironblood.

Actually... there's a big stickied topic for DF legends already, maybe a link to that would work better.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 08:26:50 pm »

I'm thinking of splitting the "Interesting threads" into "interesting threads" and "interesting dwarves".  Cacame, Morul, and Ironblood go in dwarves.  Boatmurdered, Urist, and Mermaid Farming go in with threads.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 08:33:40 pm »

I'm thinking of splitting the "Interesting threads" into "interesting threads" and "interesting dwarves".  Cacame, Morul, and Ironblood go in dwarves.  Boatmurdered, Urist, and Mermaid Farming go in with threads.
Cacame goes into dwarves? I suppose he fits that race more than any other...

Great idea. This is useful in many ways. Personally, now I can replace a lot of links in my DF "Favorites" folder with this topic. Once it's a little more complete - or even now - it definitely deserves a sticky. More than the current stickied topic on this board, IMO.

I'm not sure how much it belongs here, and it's probably not exact, but I'm going to recommend this table on grazing (linked to the specific message). It's kept many of my animals from starving or being butchered uselessly out of frustration.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 09:03:00 pm »

Sadly this table is unreliable, because grass grows at different rates according to temperature and rainfall,

Also, this thread is meant mostly to be a collection of ideas, knowledge, and constructions, more than grand historical dwarves.  Like, a how-to on breaching aquifers, setting up a mist generator, or a GCS web farm.  Not to mention, of course, the usual weaponized traps like drowning chambers, obsidian Gatling gun, and dodge-me traps.  In other words, more construction, less instances, although uncommon knowledge is still highly valued.  Such as, how to nullify water pressure with diagonal walls and strip prisoners of their equipment.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 09:40:24 pm »

Add Cacame and Tholtig (my sig) under Threads of Interest?

Under megaprojects, you want Flarechanneled and Copperblazed, and I think Undergrotto. These are crowning achievements in Dwarven Engineering.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 09:51:19 pm »

It seems to me that if you're compiling amazing fortresses/stories/megaprojects, then you're just duplicating the work that's been done in the Hall of Legends thread:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=41896.0

I'd think it's better to keep this one focused more on threads of science and useful information.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 10:01:26 pm »

True, I'm trying to keep the "legends" down to the "required reading", like Cacame and Boatmurdered.  I also need some links to flarechanneled and others, as the search didn't yield results.  The megaprojects and semi-megaprojects will definitely be included here though, as they're inspiration for players to build their own!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9