Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 61

Author Topic: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: No new update...yet  (Read 254664 times)

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom Returns! Update 0.33: Powerups and Star Missions
« Reply #360 on: September 30, 2013, 09:14:34 pm »

I personally hate everybody who voted no on the poll.  I like playing koopas and would REALLY welcome a raw-trimming...

I didn't vote one way or another. The trimming doesn't bother me, but I'd like to still see some kind of variety in leather and cloth.

Like maybe a couple classes of leather and something like dragonhide being a rarity pulled from great dragons and nothing else. And something similar with cloth.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile

I personally hate everybody who voted no on the poll.  I like playing koopas and would REALLY welcome a raw-trimming...
You must really hate me then. :p
After all, the wide variety of stuff, is one of the things which attracted me to DF in the first place.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game

I'm probably going to end up doing some kind of compromise in the end.  There are a lot of creatures with non-standard materials already (fireproof, super-tough skin or fat, etc.)  So far, it looks like I'm at least to simplify organ meats.  That should cut the number of meat types down by around 10 per creature, and I don't think anyone will mourn the loss of the ability to eat shellcreeper eyeballs.  Still playing around with leather - I've made about 25 different types of leather (ranging from the translucent membranes of Mildes and Lemon Drops to Reznor's dino-hide, although some differ only in color or name), or just keep them non-standardized but keep the different properties.

Koopa magic is looking a lot more like traditional alchemy by the way.  I've decided that the shiny yellow coins are 'purified gold' created with a philosopher's stone and can be used to create monsters using a homunculus-like procedure.  And that's why the monsters of the Mushroom World have coins in them.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile

Well at least if I know the meat itself I eat and the leather I wear is from a Yoshi, I don't mind.
However distinct features, such as Yoshi tongues, should still be different from normal tongues.
Just my opinion.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile

I'm probably going to end up doing some kind of compromise in the end.  There are a lot of creatures with non-standard materials already (fireproof, super-tough skin or fat, etc.)  So far, it looks like I'm at least to simplify organ meats.  That should cut the number of meat types down by around 10 per creature, and I don't think anyone will mourn the loss of the ability to eat shellcreeper eyeballs.  Still playing around with leather - I've made about 25 different types of leather (ranging from the translucent membranes of Mildes and Lemon Drops to Reznor's dino-hide, although some differ only in color or name), or just keep them non-standardized but keep the different properties.

Koopa magic is looking a lot more like traditional alchemy by the way.  I've decided that the shiny yellow coins are 'purified gold' created with a philosopher's stone and can be used to create monsters using a homunculus-like procedure.  And that's why the monsters of the Mushroom World have coins in them.

If Bowser can turn Toads into bricks and minions into duplicates of himself (Original SMB) then him turning coins into monsters makes sense too. This also explains why the enemies in the RPGs generally explode into coins when defeated.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Now that monsters drop coins, I'm thinking of having all of the races' high-level play styles be based around them in some way or another.  Toads can convert them to stars, Koopas will use them to spawn more monsters, and I'm thinking of giving Shyguys a slot machine to suit their more random style.

One possibility I'm working with that may or may not go over well is removing the ability of Shyguys to create subspace portals from scratch, instead requiring them to obtain a magic potion from the slot machine which will allow them to create a temporary subspace portal.  There are a number of ways to re-balance this - if the door itself is harder to get and is temporary, maybe the items they get from it don't have to be.  Of course, this could mean a big change to their playstyle.  Then again, the Shyguys weren't especially well thought out, up until now I was treating them more like a 'cheat mode'.  Any thoughts?

b_knight286

• Bay Watcher
  • ....huh?
    • View Profile

Could always have subcon portals only exist in the background.  Pretend there's only one, that your civ owns, and make a workshop that delivers crafts home for random subcron junk, make them bring subcon goods in caravans but make them light and cheap.  That kind of thing.  Now, I leave it to those with knowledge as to how practical this would be.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile

Maybe keep subcon portals as they are, but add portals to other dream worlds.

The other dream worlds could be references to other Nintendo games... so that you can pull in materials from other universes to make the Shy Guys more weird. Like pulling Rupee Ore and Deku Wood from Hyrule (Legend of Zelda), Star Blocks and Maxim Tomatos from Dream Land (Kirby), and Zebesian Rocks and Talloric Alloy from Zebes (Metroid).

The portals would be randomly obtained from the Slot Machine and rare, but could add neat food items, odd building materials, and maybe a couple other odds and ends.

JumboDS64

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Maybe you could add Grombas (from Mario and Luigi: Dream Team) as less intelligent, less civilized Goombas that appear near cave entrances?

The other dream worlds could be references to other Nintendo games... so that you can pull in materials from other universes to make the Shy Guys more weird. Like pulling Rupee Ore and Deku Wood from Hyrule (Legend of Zelda), Star Blocks and Maxim Tomatos from Dream Land (Kirby), and Zebesian Rocks and Talloric Alloy from Zebes (Metroid).

The portals would be randomly obtained from the Slot Machine and rare, but could add neat food items, odd building materials, and maybe a couple other odds and ends.

Can Shyguys cook? If so, adding to your idea, they could rarely get Zebon Gel from Dream Land portals to use as a cooking ingredient, as the Kirby anime stated that Zebon is a very good ingredient.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ha, the easter egg lover in me likes this idea, but unfortunately it isn't possible to add 'secret' building types to the menu or make standard buildings behave differently based on what item they are made from.  Making the occasional offworld oddity pop out of a reaction is possible though.

Hm, I wonder if there are any mods out there based on other game series that were designed with compatibility in mind?  I wouldn't mind playing a game set in a Mushroom World / Hyrule crossover...

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile

Oh crap. I forgot about that. You can't require a building to need a specific kind of material to be built.

But you can do it with reactions right? How about create a tool type keys and have the keys be used to make a subspace portal lead somewhere else (depending on the material) for a single job or multiple jobs (like have the keys have like 20 uses by make the metric high and have the job only use part of the metric). If that is possible.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh crap. I forgot about that. You can't require a building to need a specific kind of material to be built.

But you can do it with reactions right? How about create a tool type keys and have the keys be used to make a subspace portal lead somewhere else (depending on the material) for a single job or multiple jobs (like have the keys have like 20 uses by make the metric high and have the job only use part of the metric). If that is possible.

Hmm, I've wanted to include keys for a while but I didn't really have any good ideas as to what they would be used for.  This is possible, with some complicated and tedious use of material reaction products.  Not sure if I want to actually get into the whole crossover-game thing though, there's enough possible easter eggs coming from this universe already.

Which isn't to say that I don't like crossover worlds.  Shame that Putnam's Earthward Pick wasn't made for crossover compatibility, it certainly looks like it has a lot of content.  I wonder if I can steal it and make a slightly modified version?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

You can't require a building to need a specific kind of material to be built.

Yes you can? Unless you don't mean something like this:

[BUILD_ITEM:NONE:NONE:INORGANIC:SPECIAL_STUFF]

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, I know, but it wouldn't be possible to add 'secret' buildings or make them behave differently depending on what they were made of.  To make different kinds of portals would require different options to appear on the workship menu whether you had the rare item or not, which isn't really worth it for an easter egg.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Should be possible with DFHack, but

isn't really worth it for an easter egg.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 61