Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: You are a Hero OOC (We still need 1 more i think.)  (Read 10370 times)

Bluesproto

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Anti Hero
    • View Profile
    • My game, a Medieval RPG. Sort of.
You are a Hero OOC (We still need 1 more i think.)
« on: July 12, 2012, 05:46:07 am »

Link to the IC here

In the world of Midgard, a world of magic and war, something is happening. The Empire is preparing. The hate of the Empire population towards other races is being difficult to control to young Empress Alessia. The Senate of the Empire wants war against the dwarves, ferals, elves and anything that stands in their way. And you, you are in the middle of it. Strange things are going to happen. Will you be a hero for all races? A conqueror? Or the encarnation of pure evil trying to destroy the world?

The world of Midgard is composed of a main continent, mainly territory of the mighty Empire of Caelstia, except for the Kaldras peninsula where four different kingdoms (the elven kingdom of Alfheim, the human kingdoms of Tartess and Caels and the feral kingdom of Lupus. There are also some major islands, like the kingdoms of the Azur Feather and  the Serpent Alliance can be found.

The people of the Empire hate other races, as the fighting with the ferals in the past and the tension with the dwarven and elven borders has always been high, however it has the greatest army in the world, led by the mighty Caelstian Magisters and their Assistants, the most powerful generals of the Empire.

This is intended to be a roleplaying game with 4 players. However, any ideas and comments would be great
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There are 3 kinds of supernatural powers. Magic (with Fire, Water, Earth, Wind, Light, Darkness, Creation, Destruction, Essence, Illusionism and Necromancy), psychic powers (with Telepatic powers, telekinesis, control of fire, and so on) and ki. You have to born with the Gift of Magic to be able to use it. The same goes for psychic powers. However anyone can learn to control ki, but it requires training. Summoning is based on magic.

When you have selected the class, race and your stats, pm me with an idea of your character to help you creating it (the system i'm using, although being very complete, is a bit complex.)

EDIT: Added Essence and Illusionism, 2 Magic Paths that i had forgotten. Illusionism is obvious, Essence is based on contacting with animals, plants and spirits. It's a very defensive Path. Also i had to say that any magic user can learn more than one Path, but learning more than one makes you have less advanced spells at first. (The system for learning magic goes by points. You have X amount of points to distribute between Paths, so you can have a greater variety of spells but not being able to get the more powerful ones, or you can have some powerful spells but little variety. It goes more or less the same for psychic powers.)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 09:16:39 am by Bluesproto »
Dear Urist: I, the overseer, appreciate your point of view about the danger that an unarmed goblin can represent at the other side of a fortification when you try to kill it with a ballista, but, as you know, you're not paid to think. And a mindless worker is a happy worker, so shut up and do your job.

You are a Hero, an fantasy adventure with dragons, mages, ninjas and Norse mythology

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Hero
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 08:23:33 am »

I would like to reserve a spot.
Soaplent green is goblins!

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 08:52:13 am »

... we can choose our base stats ... and then the race modifies them? Why?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 08:54:09 am by hachnslay »
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Bluesproto

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Anti Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 08:54:09 am »

Yes, you get it.

EDIT:sorry didn't really pay enough attention to the question. The race modifies because... Well, because the game is like that XD
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 12:35:19 pm by Bluesproto »
Dear Urist: I, the overseer, appreciate your point of view about the danger that an unarmed goblin can represent at the other side of a fortification when you try to kill it with a ballista, but, as you know, you're not paid to think. And a mindless worker is a happy worker, so shut up and do your job.

You are a Hero, an fantasy adventure with dragons, mages, ninjas and Norse mythology

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 09:11:37 am »

Do INT and POW affect ki/psy, or just wizard-magic?

Bluesproto

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Anti Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 09:42:05 am »

I knew i forgot something. POW can be important for ki, depending on which kind of powers you want to use (things as Goku's kamehameha or Vegeta's Big Bang attack would need POW), but psychic power only uses WIL. However having a good POW will be useful to resist magical efects (and WIL to resist Psychic effects)

kuoz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Hero (We still need 3 more people)
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 09:44:34 am »

could you explain better the sistem you're using? i dont matter if it is complex but i'd like to understand it before i reserve a spot

Bluesproto

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Anti Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 10:05:58 am »

Well, taking it to the basic, you have some skills, like Awareness, and you roll 1d100 (an dice of a hundred faces, don't worry, i'll do the rolls) and add it to your skill level. Then you have to compare and the difficulty i set. For example, if I set that climbing a tree has a difficulty of 40, and you have a 10 on climbing, you have to roll a 30 or more. If you roll a 90 or over, you add it to your skill level and roll again (so you roll 2 times and add both). If on the second roll you get a 91 or more, you roll again. If on the third you roll a 92 or more you roll again and so on.

About the skills. having a 20 in a skill means that you can easily do the most basic things without even rolling. Having a 40 would mean you have some training. Having a 80 would mean you can do something most people wouldn't be able to, a 120 is something very complex, a 140 is difficult even for experts and so on.

About combat. It works more or less the same. You roll initiative, and then you roll to hit and/or to dodge/parry. You can do things like going defensive, trying to disarm your opponent, and that kind of things. If you get hit before your action, you can't act that turn. You may be trying not to bleed out, or you may have lost the chance. Things like trying to dodge multiple attacks have modifiers.

You can attacks more than one time each turn. Exactly once per 100 points(or fraction) you have on the Attack skill. But the attacks get a modifier of -X. However, taking in count your enemy will also have modifiers of -X after the first attack, it may be worth it.

You can reserve your attack for doing a counter attack (maybe you have a good defense, so you try to defend, get a bonus for a good defense and then attack). Magic, ki, psychic powers and summoning have some special rules, so I'll explain them once someone asks for a character that uses it. But just so you know, ki allows you to do things like the techniques showed in naruto, dragon ball, devil may cry, the tales of saga and that kind of games and mangas, while psychic is a lot more like magneto's powers, what magic does is very classic, and summoning does both calling monsters that you use as soldiers (and slaves most times) and the FF kind of summoning.

EDIT: Before I forget, your character can take levels on different classes. So as you are starting as level 4, you may say you want a level 2 Thief, level 2 Acrobatic Warrior, for example.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 03:52:47 pm by Bluesproto »

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 12:17:09 pm »

Oh, this is still alive? I am still in then.

So how are things going to work with character interactions? Will they start as an adventuring party, or be separate for some or all of the time?

Bluesproto

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Anti Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 12:20:04 pm »

Well, it will depend. If you go after the same objectives, you'll go together. However, if you try to go after becoming a king, and the others try to stop you. Well, is obvious then, i think.  But I'll try to do it so most of the time you'll be together. However, you'll start alone.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 04:52:59 am by Bluesproto »

Bluesproto

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Anti Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 06:09:54 am »

Ok, so sorry for the double post, but i think it is easier and less messy this way.
This the basic character sheet. Post it, and I will do the complicated stuff for the sheet (there are some things that need to be done in order to make playable)
Name:
Race: (Or if you want to do it random, just say random.)
Stats:
Class:
Skills: (Just what you want your character to know, for example, i want him to know history, occultism, to be a good persuader, know both fire and destruction magic, focusing a bit on fire over destruction, and have training using both swords and bows)
Description:
Background Story: (If you have chosen random, wait for me to tell you which race you are, because maybe there will be something about the race you want to add)

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 07:43:49 am »

You should probably make two more categories for 'ice' and 'lightning' magic. Alternatively, you could get rid of fire altogether and create a 'heat' category containing both fire and ice spells. The same could be done with necromancy and healing magic by making a 'life' category. The fun of playing a mage type is having a lot of variety, and being able to use your imagination in how you can apply your favored categor(y/ies).

Keeping the sheet unfinished for now. I'm too distracted to come up with anything decent for the empty categories.

Spoiler: sheet (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 04:57:38 am by Lillipad »
Quote from: BaerTaffy
If Adele covered Aerosmith, that would be my life right now.

Bluesproto

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Anti Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 08:36:03 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The text above is about magic. However as I say on it, every 2 levels you gain one point to enhance any given stat, even above 10. So as level 4 characters you'll have 2 of these points.

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 09:48:57 am »

I got that electricity and ice went into those categories. I probably should have clarified that. I suggested they get their own category because those two "elements" tend to play differently from the categories they're in now, and it tends to be easier in the long run to let them branch out into their own.

Spoiler: Advice and ranting (click to show/hide)
Quote from: BaerTaffy
If Adele covered Aerosmith, that would be my life right now.

Bluesproto

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Anti Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 10:18:42 am »

Ok, so, lets do this.
I'm using the Anima Beyond Fantasy system. Is an Spanish RPG with a complex system, but I'm trying to keep it simple. The magic paths are not set in stone. In fact, all magic users get a number of spells they can select and that are avaliable to all magic users. These spells are used to add variety to your list of spells. For example a Creation wizard could select the spell "Magic Beam" to use it as it basic attack. And in fact there are some spells that you can use for many things, so it's not set in stone, but i just don't feel like writing the whole 500+ spells here (It's too much work i think). For example, the "Transform" spell, from creation, is usually used to make those wood logs you saw before become a bridge to go through that river, but it can be used to make the enemy's armour shrink and compress it into a metal ball (killing your enemy). But the reason some things may look too rough is because sometimes someone tries to use the freedom a Do-What-You-Want magic system gives to use some spell in a game breaking way.
And just because it says it is defensive it doesn't mean it hasn't any attack. Earth has earthquakes after all.

And just one thing. You aren't forced to have a single Path focused wizard. In fact, most of them get to use three or four paths.

PS: Believe me, it may seem restrictive at first, but you'll end up with more options that you can imagine.

Pages: [1] 2 3