Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 31

Author Topic: Lakebones: Slaughtering Player-Inserts since 105  (Read 69140 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lakebones: The Exile [New Succession Game]
« Reply #165 on: December 06, 2012, 01:08:35 am »

nice update, winter. and Salmeuk didn't die, did he? o.o

Also, I never understood the massive migrations that seem to come once the first year is up. Don't they already live in a pretty great location?

"HEY URIST"

". . . what now, cog?"

"THERES THERES THIS FORT WE SHOULD MOVE THERE."

"What's so great about it? I happen to quite like living here, in the mountainhome."

"ITS ONLY A YEAR OLD AND MANAGED BY AN INSANE EX-CONVICT, THERE ARE ONLY 3 BEDS BECAUSE SOMEONE FORGOT AN AXE, AND WE'RE LIKELY TO BE IMMEDIATELY DRAFTED INTO A SUICIDE SQUAD OF MEATSHIELDS!"

". . . "

"BUT THEY MADE LIKE 100 STONE AMULETS SO THEY HAVE SO MUCH WEALTH PROBABLYRICH YEAH GOLdGOLG LETS GO"

But then Urist got Cog really fucking drunk, and he forgot that the last time he went along with that excuse-for-a-dwarfs grand ideas he lost his right eye. To a screw pump malfunction, no less. . .

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Nep-Nep Fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #166 on: December 06, 2012, 06:34:43 am »

can you beings TELL US?!?!?!
What he said... Information! I can't maintain the first post right unless you keep me in the loop at least. :'(

so.... I'm not to blame but... 3 of the dwarf'ed dwarfs might have died, and 27 other dwarfs have died... NOT MY FAULT!!! Shall I just cont. and that's life? It is DF after all. or shall I load up for my last save?

My vote is "that's life"
May I ask what caused it? Megabeast? Attack of the Gastark Blood-Flu? Information!

Anyway, recall rule +6+, its entirely up to you if you want to restart, especially since you've still got a few days spare.

Generally I'd also say carry on though, unless it was like a failed lava pumping experiment, dwarfs running out and getting themselves killed over a sock, or other such silly and pointless massacre.

If you do go ahead, you need to post a memorial list for our dwarfed players though (and dwarf Pivole/bp920091 if you haven't already).

Ill take a dwarf, and an overseer spot if you are still open to new overseers (assuming the waiting list hasn't hit 20, in which case, ill be surprised if the fort actually survives for that long).

As for the dwarf, anything besides farmer, fisher, or animal caretaker (something working with rocks or glass is preferable, but go ahead and assign me to pretty much any profession.
Ok, you're in.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 06:36:46 am by eharper256 »
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"
Community Fort "Lakebones"
My Games & Anime Blog, Detarame

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 06, 2012, 07:33:39 am »

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 06, 2012, 09:25:06 am »

Harper, Winter and Overmind. 30 total.
I blame Harper and Winter for their own demise. :-P
Technically the Goblin's didn't kill Harper, Harper went beserk so we had to kill them.

No traps, no training, not everyone w/ weapons and armor, not even a bridge to seal us in.
We had no chance against bows and lashers...
So continue on? Or savescum? What do y'all wanna do?

Edit: Weird thing was I killed the leader riding his damned Croc, but the rest of the goblins just stood around in the courtyards, not fleeing after their leader fell.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 09:28:46 am by Brewster »

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #169 on: December 06, 2012, 09:36:51 am »

Harper, Winter and Overmind. 30 total.
I blame Harper and Winter for their own demise. :-P
Technically the Goblin's didn't kill Harper, Harper went beserk so we had to kill them.

No traps, no training, not everyone w/ weapons and armor, not even a bridge to seal us in.
We had no chance against bows and lashers...
So continue on? Or savescum? What do y'all wanna do?
A full siege this early...? Blimey. Harper evidently went berserk from seeing Winter and Overmind dying.

Well, not alot you can do about that; there's a good chance it'll hit again if one is due, no matter how many times you save-scum; so if you do that, you can only try to minimize the hit. It's fine to redwarf me as something else.

But like I said, its up to you ultimately.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 06, 2012, 01:36:09 pm »

Did i survive?
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 06, 2012, 02:03:43 pm »

So, are you leaning toward similarly-named relative or voodoo juju?
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #172 on: December 06, 2012, 03:46:33 pm »

So, are you leaning toward similarly-named relative or voodoo juju?
@Me, yes?

Neither; I'll be someone different.

Its just I hadn't thought of what my new host would be at the time... but I'm now thinking "Obakaton", a retired tracker and/or herbalist when one becomes available.

Overmind

• Bay Watcher
  • Broken legs? that's no excuse to stop fighting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 06, 2012, 04:01:50 pm »

well if my dwarf stays dead I'm going to cancel my turn because I Don't feel like writing up a whole new character, besides with those individuals dead the fort is probably doomed to tantrum spiraling to oblivion. those dwarves had a huge influence on everyone and had many friends.
Urist Mcdwarf cancels Drink,Interupted by !!FUN!!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 06, 2012, 04:56:15 pm »

yu can have random distant relative NOT named the same thing.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 06, 2012, 06:48:07 pm »

well if my dwarf stays dead I'm going to cancel my turn because I Don't feel like writing up a whole new character, besides with those individuals dead the fort is probably doomed to tantrum spiraling to oblivion. those dwarves had a huge influence on everyone and had many friends.

SOORRRRRYY!  :o
I killed the leader right off the bat... didn't stop them, they just kept whipping and whipping!

Edit: fine ill just restart from Winter's last save

Dbl Edit: whew! no deaths... we're good to go!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 10:08:47 pm by Brewster »

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 07, 2012, 03:49:38 am »

Phew!
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #177 on: December 07, 2012, 05:20:48 am »

SOORRRRRYY!  :o
I killed the leader right off the bat... didn't stop them, they just kept whipping and whipping!

Edit: fine ill just restart from Winter's last save

Dbl Edit: whew! no deaths... we're good to go!
Oh jolly good, well done sir. A few injuries perhaps? Those at least we can deal with easier, as I recall I left the hospital at least partially stocked in everything.

Actually, you may have been hit by a bug there anyway if the gobbos failed to retreat on the death of their leader.

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #178 on: December 07, 2012, 06:15:50 am »

Excerpts from the diaries of exiled architect Harper Ekastiden [Year ~ 502]

Granite
...after the fortress celebrated the turnover to Winter; I've spent a few days hovering around the dining hall trying to get to know some of our new residents better than my responsibilities previously allowed. Everyone's an eclectic bunch around here...

...Winter didn't waste much time in asking me to extend the stockade in a design idea he called the watchtower. He also asked for an underground archery range, something I hadn't studied much before; but which was interesting to design...

...and twenty seven new people suddenly arrived at our little hole in the ground today. I helped Winter to give them all a brief interview, but found it hard to comprehend why so many had decided to make the trip to the frozen wastes with the snow barely melting from the ground. When I asked this of them; most seemed a little unsure of their answers and settled with the very dwarfy 'well there's more wealth and rocks and freedom here, right?'. Sometimes I really question the dwarf psyche; but don't tell Bdak I said that because I'll get a medical lecture...

Slate

Winter asked me to join his new squad of marksdwarves whilst I was a little tipsy. Frankly I don't even know the right way to hold a crossbow, so heck knows why he wants me. I guess I have to treat it in the same way as woodcutting, right? You hit the target in a certain place repeatedly and it falls over. I told him to call the squad the Imperial Keys as my condition for joining. Its a bit of an insult to the mountainhomes, see, implying that our shoddy little set of dwarves with crossbows could get those giant doors we left behind open...

...Winter dashed into the main hall shouting at people to go out and gather berries. Fortunately his tone and posture were serious, else I would have guessed he'd have been laughed at for forcing the more conservative dwarves to run out and do elvish things like gather berries...

...So I heard a description of the Weresheep Zasit from one of the others. Frankly, I couldn't help stifle a laugh. Me and a few others started a bet to pretend we were sad about the death of the gremlin child around Winter just to annoy him. Poor sod, but we need to keep him confused from time to time. He tends to stay off the booze for a few days then....

Felsite

...the problem with all the new people is that I really didn't plan the supply cache to handle this many. Winter's went a bit berserk when he realised over half of the booze barrels he slaved over making last year had already been tapped and drunk up. Though he's blowing it a little out of proportion, he does have a point that more wood and coke were required. I sighed and took up my axe and got chopping again to meet one of those orders. I was followed outside by a bunch of confused people who'd also been shouted at and told to get trees chopped down. Of course, we only have the one axe so the poor sods can't do alot. Even so, I got them to help with stripping off the branches and holding the logs down whilst I cut them up. With their hauling help, at least things went a little faster and I got to know some people better...

...well I never. Apparently, some of those envoys actually made it to their destinations. An elvish caravan pulled up this morning. Funnily enough, a year ago I'd have been very reluctant to deal with the pointyears, but I guess a year on and a greater appreciation for nature and physical labour have changed me somewhat. I had a good discussion with their envoy and made some excellent trades that we were both quite content with. Lots of herbs, elvish delicacies and drinks to give our stocks some needed variety. I had to accept some strange goods as well, and I swear I spotted someone doing a shady deal over an Echidna cage, but these things are to be expected...

Hematite

...so the first Goblin Scout was spotted and killed by Overmind today. Winter was spitting and wondering what we had to steal, but I tried to (unsuccessfully) explain to him that stealing was mainly the secondary occupation of these guys. The main problem is that he'll not be returning to his column. Whilst we can hope he'll be dismissed as a deserter, chances are this won't happen, and at worst, a large contingent of their wicked troops will arrive. I can only hope I'm better shot with the crossbow by then...

...yeah my parents would definately laugh at me now. Look at my arms showing some bloody muscles from all this woodcutting. "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay, I drink all night and I swing all day!"...

...frankly, part of me believes we're really getting the dregs from dwarves all over. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a prissy elitist like those humans, and lots of them seem nice enough, but their lack of skills does somewhat shock me. How do they get by and not feel inadequate? Don't they feel the need to run out a learn a real trade?...

Malachite

...Thun is seriously pissing his pants with laughter now, isn't he. So there was a meeting in the main hall (at last) to decide who the mayor would be. Part of me was joyously thinking "YAY! I can stop being overseer and now relenquish my job as expidition leader if we actually have a government." And then I'm overwhelmingly voted into the position by a landslide majority. Perhaps its because I made the mistake (AGAIN!) of trying to be friendly with the new people in an unfamiliar environment. I really need to do something about that! I guess the gods have a real sense of humour. Though I'm not amused that the Giant Toad got three votes. Who brought that thing anyway!? Well, at least there are no longer any flies in the main hall... right?...

...I was utterly drunk from the celebration and decided that backpacks were the greatest thing in existance. I'm totally abusing my power for no apparent reason by mandating no-one is to export them. But... well I have to do mandate things in this type of position, right? I hope I don't become prissy like the nobles at home. If I ever do, I'll ask Winter to put a crossbow bolt right between my eyes...

Galena

...I'm honestly surprised and impressed that I can hold a crossbow straight these days and that several others can do the same even better. Part of me is glad that Winter gave an order to tunnel out a bigger bedroom for me. Though frankly I don't need it, I guess I do need to keep up appearances as the new mayor...

...A dwarf called Rakust I didn't really know that well was showing everyone a skirt she had made. She called it Clambreaks. Frankly I have agree with Winter. I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either...

...Winter led us on an attack against some the local animal people. Part of me felt a little guilty as they'd not openly been hostile so far, but logic does dictate we need to lay out the fact that this is our territory now; so down they went. It scares me a little just how devastating a little bolt of bone can be. I wonder if this this heavy weight is what causes Winter to be like he is...

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 07, 2012, 08:16:57 am »

*** Limestone ***
Winter simply said "Here." and tossed me the badge of leadership. I was now to lead Lakebones's future. My first order was to bring my brothers and sisters together. The 'Spiritual Spade', we are 6 dwarf miners devote to the Gods. We will build eternal life for the fortress, and we will build eternal life for the citizens.

My next order was re-assignments. Winter did enjoy the booze, as any good dwarf, but it effected him setting-up a sensible assignment list.
The Gods blessed us with birth of girl(s)

Fishybang kills Em Limpvice the goblin, d. 102

I'm not used to giving orders to kill another being. It was awful. Destroying a creation of the Gods, but it needed to be done. The fortress was in my charge and I needed to defend it.

Mining of the Spade's Hall has been finished, and smoothing begins.

*** Sandstone ***
Eight-teen new dwarfs showed up at our gates today. They explain how they were locked out of the Mountainhome and a sign posted to the sealed doors provided instructions to come here.

I've had horrible dreams of sieges and attacks. Leadership is draining my energy and now storming my dreams. I've discussed with my fellow Spades and we agree it's a sign from the Gods! They have given me insight to the future. I order the masons to set-up a bridge to seal the fortress if we need.

The Gods continue to bless us with birth of boy(s)

The hallway to the Spiritual Spades Hall is lined with statues; I've seen a few notable statues
Spoiler: Notable Statues (click to show/hide)

I hear cheering and applaud in the barracks and so I rush into see what's happen. Apparently, Winter has grown attached to his steel crossbow. Warriors have few pleasures in life I guess.

From the 18 new faces, I draft 10 of them into a militia on constant training, in a room we've dug specially for them. I've named the new squad the Songs of Sokan. May the name provide protection to them.

*** Timber ***
I hear a guardsdwarf scream "A vile force of darkness has arrived! " Why!? I pray to the Gods. Why did these evil creatures come? I order all the dwarfs indoors, safe within our walls. Vex has been possessed shortly after the arrival. People are still rushing inside when he claims a workshop.

Goblin thief was found in the bowels of our fortress. He was soon mutilated by Fishybang.

Vex finishes their relic before the marauding siege hits us.

Archers mount the walls while the goblins reach the desert.

Once within range the bridge is raised and the bolts are released.

It only takes a few bolts before they goblins tuck-tail and run.

We open the bridge and Overmind and Fishbang finish the stragglers. I count the dead: Five dead Goblin Axeman and a Giant Olm named Bosa. Death follows my reign, why?

*** Opal ***
The season winter has been uneventful. We've set-up workshop areas, and continue furnishing the fortress.
I did add a few photos to our baby album.

*** Obsidian ***
I noticed we have seven Peasants, our children are growing strong! They Gods to look in favour of us I believe. I put the 12 year olds straight to work giving them professions.
Winter was so uneventful our guard was slackened, and the goblins took advantage of that.

It turned bloody fast.

Death count: One dwarf. One Goblin Crossbowman. Five Goblin Swordsman.
I order cage traps be placed along the borders of the walls, at least it'll give us warning next time.
I can not handle this, the first day of the new year I slap the leadership badge on the table in front of Overmind. To much death and destruction. The Gods obviously have set me for a steward of my people, not the whole fortress.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 31