Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Future of the mod

Prospect gold nuggets from sand.
Steal gems from other civs. (simulated by reaction)
Prospect fuel from peat-clay. (collect clay on a peat surface)
Witchers, magic melee
Hexers, magic ranged/support
Hypnotoad, special pet with crazy fortress-wide interactions
More religion, praying, offerings

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: ☼Kobold Camp☼ [v.05] - Release included in MasterworkDF. And a new poll ;)  (Read 38922 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Included in the Masterwork DF mod pack: A playable Kobold race.

Kobolds race with 12 castes.
You can only dig soil with your shovels.
No alcohol needed. Kobolds need meat to be happy.
400+ reactions. Use leather, bone, scale, chitin and shells.
30+ buildings. Sawmill and Hexers Hut, Critter Kitchen and Shroomshop.
Special pets - Jack rat, Ogre, Shalswar, Traps piders and psychoactive toads.
Includes a manual, creature graphics and embark profiles, as well as all other MasterworkDF utilities.

Comments, feedback and bugreports about Kobold Camp please here, not in the MasterworkDF thread.
If anyone wants to add ideas or start modding on Kobold Camp himself, just let me know. There is great room for improvement.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 07:31:31 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Camp [v.01] for ☼MASTERWORK☼ - New thread
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 10:20:10 pm »

omg why can't i dig??

Spoiler: answer (click to show/hide)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 10:41:21 pm »

You can dig sand and soil, that has to be enough :P
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 03:29:42 am »

Do you plan to go with DnD 3 kobolds as opposed to DF kobolds?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

mavj96

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 04:30:02 am »

One thing I want is for the Kobolds to have a universal theme, if I'm not mistaken you've got two types of Kobolds in your game reptile and dog. I do know that you have a reptile picture and dog description.

I myself imagine them as reptiles.

The recipes for their scrimshawer shop are really messed up as well, I imagine they are unfinished.

After general theme and recipe tune up I think in general they need more flare. It'd be nice if we could somehow get players in caves but still have outside visitors, I've no idea how we'd do that. In general there needs to be more that says hey we're kobolds!

It would be interesting if somehow we got the option to kidnap human children for example and eat them or raise them.

The playable Kobolds need their ethics/raws looked at as well, as of now I don't think they have much content.
Things like martial trances might be added when to give them some strength. As of now it wrecks your Kobolds mentally to even see one or two others die and they're already fragile enough (which I like). I think Kobolds should care less when another dies, they should also be mostly content with things like sleeping in the dirt and drinking murky water.

This is all from my phone apologies in advance for shit grammar/word use.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 04:48:42 am by mavj96 »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 05:05:21 am »

DF kobolds are like cave monkeys without tails.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 07:38:57 am »

I never played DnD, but just read up a little bit on them. Draconic with bonus on mining? Probably not. ^^

So, no idea. They will be Mephs mad mixed kobolds I guess. Same as smakemupagus mixes Elders-Scrolls Warhammer Warcraft Lord-of-the-Rings Orcs in his orc plugin. I dont know yet, thats what this thread is for.

I think they should use a lot of wood and bone, shells and leather. As pets possibly massive cave trolls/ogres that adopt owner like cats do. Imagine KingKong protecting the female lead character. An ogre would see one of the tiny koblds as his friend and stay at the kobold place to "protect tiny bold".

Then some kind of shaman or witcher that can charm animals, rat farmers for food, poison-darts, sending kobolds on expeditions (stealing) and maybe some kind of shrine to sacrifice shiny things on.

Essentially cutebolds I guess. Nice, innocent little compulsive thieves that stand no chance in melee combat.

mavj96

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 08:27:45 am »

I like the sound of that, at the very least the larger pets would give them a little bit better of a military prowess. I'd either change the logo or their description as one of the first things, as I mentioned they are dogs in description  but the picture is a reptile. (In favor of reptilebolds.)

The stealing feature would be great if your Kobold were to be caught then the faction might come for your little bold huts in the name of revenge.

Poisons could do with being expanded.

Castes could get really interesting with bolds.

I'd love to see a potential planned feature list :).
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 10:26:01 am by mavj96 »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Kobold Camp [v.01] for ☼MASTERWORK☼ - Poll and building preview
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 11:12:43 am »

Planned features, here you go:

Possibly adding a large clay industry. Earthenware and stoneware... because you cant mine rock, you should be able to do all kinds of things with burning clay bricks.

I will probably change the design of the weight set, fishpond and thatchery. These ones are copies from Masterwork and Orc Fort.

Rock, gems and metals will be super tough to come by, and kobolds should not have means to work metals. I cant really remove the smelter and forge though... any ideas?

Planned pets:
Shalswars => somelink like a smaller raptor.
Ogre => big beefy guard type. With upgrades.
something-something Rats => big groups for farming/producing meat.
something-something Spiders => big groups for farming poison, catching vermin.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 11:25:06 am by Meph »

mavj96

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 11:33:00 am »

Awesome really! I'd recommend a color change for the witch hut though maybe brown?

Any decision on their appearance?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 12:53:25 pm »

I hope i will have more feedback later, after I actually play more than a few minutes of Kobold camp.  But your buildings look amazing as always!

Just an aside, the Orc Fort weight set graphics is not mine, it's still Deon's from old Genesis.  It's just already the perfect representation of a weight set in DF icons, I don't know how it's possible to change it :) 

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 02:32:24 pm »

Meph, do you use Workshopdraw to make workshops? You seem to be able to create awesome designs in quite a short time :).

About ranged weapons, I think they should use slingshots with a custom skill (blowgunner?) renamed.
For ammo, they could use pellets as basic ammunition, and various bugs like special ammo (poisoned, explosive etc).

Another idea: martial trances are not a kobold thing, but if you kill a semimegabeast or mine special gem, you could craft special talismans you could use to infuse your kobolds with this ability (NOFEAR and TRANCES). I think it's possible to add both tokens via interactions (I cannot check wiki from my phone). It could be one of options for Witcher's hut.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 02:36:58 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

mavj96

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 03:29:27 pm »

That sounds like a great idea!

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 04:18:11 pm »

DF kobolds are squat brown humanoids. Here's what they look like, from Toady's other game "Kobold Quest". Prepare to have your minds blown.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 04:22:04 pm »

Yeah, I've posted this picture like 100 times already on these forums, and most people know that, but Meph's mod greatly differs from DF lore in many aspects.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14