Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Oceanquest - Fun by the Seashore  (Read 3581 times)

Dusky

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of the cult of the Blessed Beard
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanquest - Fun by the Seashore
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 01:54:32 pm »

Dusky is having trouble comprehending that he can’t build a wall on the spot he is standing in

well it seems Dwarf-me is even stupider than i expected

Myrkky100

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 03:12:29 pm »

17th Limestone, 127, Early Autumn:

Kobold thieves have been more numerous recently and like I guessed, they have drawn goblins to us. This morning people taking out trash saw one hiding near the gate. A babysnatchers most likely, since it seemed to be unarmed and alone but still, they know where we are now. We must continue to production of stone blocks and begin the building of a fortified gatehouse as soon as possible… Correction, the goblin was not alone. Another made it all the way up the tunnel before running into the dogs. I was told it was quite amusing, the dogs chased it for a good distance and nearly caught it. However, while they were away, a third one was caught trying to sneak in. This is getting serious.

The hospital is also finally set up. Ezum, one of the twelve who arrived in the last group, tells me she knows a thing or two about different ailments so I promptly made her the new chief medical dwarf and assigned another newcomer, Shorast, as her assistant. They can start tending to Ral’s foot, she hasn’t been able to walk properly since she had that tussle with the dagger wielding Kobold.

2nd Sandstone, 127, Mid-Autumn

Finally, this is more like it. I had my office decorated with engravings. Let’s see… Well, this is not bad. Some twat just had to engrave a leech into the far corner but otherwise, very nice, very stately. I especially enjoy this one:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A new exploratory tunnel was started on the second level, heading west. I hope to quarry more stone there, it will be closer to the masons and the sound of the work won’t carry to the sleeping quarters. The mayoral suite has also been dug out, the engravers are just finishing smoothing the walls and floors (but I had my office smoothed first. We have to have some priorities here.)
---
I was just told 15 more immigrants have shown up at the gates. They came from the south, apparently they got a bit lost and had the wits to just head for the coast and then north. Fishermen and farmers, mostly, and five kids. I’ll have to see we still have enough bedrooms.

22nd Sandstone, 127, Mid-Autumn:

I started wondering why every place seemed to be full of trash. Turns out we have been eating so many pond turtles that the trash dump is full of shells. Everybody knows where my (lovely) office is, why can’t they come and tell me these things?! But I digress. It occurred to me that such an abundant resource could be used for something useful. All the left over bones could also be recycled somehow, especially keeping in mind that the flooring of the archery range is almost finished but it would be a waste to use our meager reserves of copper bolts for target practice. A small workshop has been set up. Nobody has worked with shells or bone before but I’ll just assign someone without any particularly critical professional competencies.

17th Timber, 127, Late Autumn:

The caravan from the mountainhomes is here again. This time we at least have more to trade. Destra, the newly minted bonecrafter, really seems to have a knack for her ever-so-slightly-macabre medium of art. The crafts she is churning out should make us a tidy profit.

26th Timber, 127, Late Autumn:

Well, it took quite a lot of haggling and I was already fearing the caravan leader might just up and leave but we got a good deal. Meats to add variety to our diet, lumber as we have already cut most of the nearby trees, metal bolts and assorted other items.

27th Timber, 127, Late Autumn:

Why is it always like this? I work hard to have this place running smoothly, I try to take everyone into account, I just try to do my job like it is supposed to be done… And then that bloody idiot, Mr. Hoity-Toity-Mayor CognitiveDissonance proceeds to decree that removing earrings from the fortress is banned until further notice! The day after we traded about a hundred of them to the caravan! Dozens of people were involved carrying the damn things to the depot! This is going to be such a mess when the caravan leaves and he finds out…
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 02:42:43 pm by Myrkky100 »
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.
- Tacitus

Myrkky100

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2013, 03:55:32 am »

Due to holiday travels the next journal update will be next Monday or Tuesday evening EET. Happy Easter to everyone!
- Tacitus

Myrkky100

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2013, 02:13:56 pm »

(Apologies, the week turned out to be quite hectic and I've simply not had time to play and update.)

7th Moonstone, 127, Early Winter:

We’ve finally set up our first militia squad; The Tempted Silvers. Asmel Idonshen is our new Captain of the Guard. They should soon start training in the archery range, and the old meeting room next to the depot has been converted into a barracks.

Now to the next building project: a gatehouse. It will cover the hillside around the entrance and provide an elevated, fortified position for the archers. When that is done, we will drain the small pool on top of the hill to form a moat.

CognitiveDissonance still doesn’t know what happened to all his earrings…

3rd Opal, 127, Mid-Winter:

Cave-ins and honey badgers! The caravan left, CognitiveDissonance found out about the earrings and people are getting killed. 12 people have been declared criminals, Udil and Ushrir have already been beaten to death in the drinking hall… And a what in Nonub’s name is that thing?!

4th Opal, 127, Mid-Winter:

After the 14 mug of ale I’m starting to regain my composure. That was quite a mess we had. At the behest of CognitiveDissonance, 3 people, including Stinthad, one of the marksdwarves, were pretty much lynched. Punishment for the killings is still pending and I’ve no intention to expedite the matter.

While this was going on, the wereantelope was carving a murderous trail outside. By a stroke of luck, said trail was carved through a herd of giant wild boar. That gave us just enough time to finish the moat. Obviously the miners couldn’t get in afterwards but they hid in the half-finished gatehouse. Finally the monster turned into a weird human who just stood around in the bush, staring into the middle distance. I quickly ordered a drawbridge to be built over the moat and the five remaining members of the Tempted Silvers rushed forward, lined up and took potshot at the human until he was hit about a dozen times and finally figured out he was supposed to die.

All in all, the experience was unpleasant but could have been worse. The drawbridge will next be connected to a lever in the drinking hall. I’ve ordered crypts to be mined out near the hospital. We should shortly also build cells for prisoners to discourage further lynchings. Finally, the mayor’s new residence has been decorated and we are just waiting for the furniture, maybe he will shut up about earrings once he can move in. Another residence is also in the works for the Captain of the Guard. 

1st Granite, Early Spring, 128

The second year of the colony is at an end. Not quite as peaceful as the first one, but we’ve made it through. Three dwarves have been slain and by other dwarves, which is not a good legacy. However, their remains have now been interred in tombs, which should go a long way to putting this whole unfortunate earring incident behind us, not to mention clean the miasma from the drinking hall and sleeping room levels.

We now have basic fortifications ready. The first floor of the gatehouse has been erected and a couple of weeks ago there was a thaw, which allowed the pond atop the hill to melt and fill the moat quite nicely. The Tempted Silvers are now training their archery and soon we can begin the construction of a second level above the gateway. The drawbridge was also linked to a lever in the drinking hall, so now we can keep external dangers out.

As to internal dangers, mayor CognitiveDissonance has moved into his new residence. He seems pleased with them, though no word yet on lifting that blasted exports ban. The Captain’s quarters are also coming along nicely.

- Tacitus

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 04:04:58 pm »

am i alive?
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

Myrkky100

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 05:15:24 am »

Yep, all adopted dwarves are very much alive and well. For the time being.
- Tacitus

Destra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 01:51:19 pm »

Dwarf me please! As a female something don't carew :p

Dr_Nocturne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2013, 03:05:17 pm »

I would like a male dwarf, preferably a doctor or an engineer... If neither are available then I'll take a peasant...
This won't end well, it never does...

Myrkky100

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2013, 03:15:39 am »

Both adoption applications noted, I'll add both to the first post as soon as I'm able. Unfortunately real world stuff keeps piling up so I'll most likely update sometime next week. Apologies for the delay.
- Tacitus

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2013, 05:46:04 am »

I'll take a dwarfing, whatever really, but I would like the manager dwarf (assuming you have one)
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

Myrkky100

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2013, 02:47:08 pm »

All adoptions have now been implemented. Destra got the new bonecrafter. Unfortunately engineers and doctors were either female or taken so Dr_Nocturne got a fisherdwarf, as did bp920091, since I'm keeping Ast the manager as my personal avatar.
- Tacitus

Myrkky100

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2013, 02:33:42 am »

17th Granite 128, Early Spring:

Bugger. A new party of immigrants is at the gates. 37 of them. We will have to slow down other projects to get them settled in. I am still paranoid about flooding so while the new sleeping chambers will be built next to the current ones, they will be separated by a single, watertight door and serviced through a second set of stairs that shall lead down from near the hospital.

The plans for the second floor of the gatehouse have been laid out but the masons are again having problems understanding how to implement them. The sides of the hill need to be cut vertical, trying to work on slopes seems to be confusing them. Why is common sense so rare around here?

I’ve ordered half a dozen cells to be constructed and Oddom the Smith has started making silver chains for the prisoners. Privately, I intend these to be more for protective custody than punishment, so the cells shall in time be smoothed and decorated, as well as equipped with all the necessities for dwarven comfort. Who knows, I might end up spending time in one if the Mayor again renders retroactive justice against those who dare interfere with his earring fetish.

12th Slate 128, Mid Spring:

It is certainly a pleasure to see the Tempted Silvers training their archery skills in the range. Always be prepared to lash out at the world, I've always said. The production of bone arrows is keeping up quite nicely with the demand, now that the confusion about what kind of arrows they should carry seems to be sorted out.

The captain of the guard has moved into his new apartment and seems quite pleased with it. With all special requirements settled for the time being, we can aim our full efforts towards providing basic housing for everyone. The excavation work of the second block is going smoothly, though surprise, surprise, MrWillSauce has seen it better to party in the drinking hall instead of lending  a hand.

Ah, and the Charismatic Leader has just issued a new mandate regarding trade. We are still not allowed to sell earrings…

11st Felsite 128, Late Spring:

The Goblins are upon us! They are approaching from the east, nine armed with hammers and the leader riding an elk bird and carrying a bow. A somewhat small warband but still a deadly threat to us all. We’ve just had time to get everyone underground and secure the gate. The horses in the pasture will be killed, I’m afraid, but at least the fortress is secure. The Tempted Silvers are taking up their positions in the gatehouse as I write, if only the fiends come within crossbow shot we will make short work of them.

---

Huzzah! The enemy has been driven off! Seeing that we had barred the gates, the Goblins went after the horses they could find and then mostly milled around and shouted at us. Nobody here understands their horrid language but I got the distinct feeling that most of what was said was related to excrements and/or rather exotic sexual practices.

Every time they got close enough the Tempted Silvers let loose volley of bolts. Their accuracy was quite good, much bleeding and vomiting could be seen, though we didn’t score any kills. Luckily the leader of the besiegers caught three bolts in short succession and fell off his warbird. The other fiends must have thought he died and quickly routed. Most of them got away, though I think each and every one had at least a bolt or two in their hides. As a fitting end to the  episode, Captain Asmel executed the last straggler with a close range shot in the heart. That will teach those beardless clowns to mess with stout dwarven folk!

« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 02:53:47 pm by Myrkky100 »
- Tacitus

Tehsapper

• Bay Watcher
  • Why, MrMayor? Whatever do you mean by "slade bed"?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2013, 06:03:23 am »

Dwarf me as any soldier, preferably a speardwarf or bare-handed monkdwarf. Also assign him a robe please, if your civ produces that

Dawnofdarkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2013, 08:33:58 am »

I would like a dwarf also. Preferrable a swordsdwarf but ill be fine with whatever
If Toady implements it, we can kill elves with it.

Myrkky100

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2013, 03:50:04 am »

Thanks, both adoption applications noted, I will implement them ASAP. I think both will be engravers to begin with, adoptees will be drafted into squads when melee training hopefully soon starts.
- Tacitus
Pages: 1 [2] 3