Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I used to be an adventurer once, but then I took an arrow to the head...  (Read 3870 times)

epaga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Other than wearing an iron helmet & having a high "dodge" skill to minimize the probability of getting hit, is there anything "failsafe" to protect my adventurer from getting randomly brained by a single goblin archer 20 squares away?

sirdave79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I used to be an adventurer once, but then I took an arrow to the head...
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 05:00:37 am »

Not a failsafe and you probably know but you didn't mention it so...

Shields give an extra chance to mitigate a ranged hit and are much more effective than a helm.

A hood may help.

My experience is mainly with fort mode.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 07:37:07 am »

Grab a shield. Wrestle a horseshoe crab for a full day (from dawn to dusk). Enjoy your missile immunity.

Yes, grinding is that easy and that powerful. Armour is of very limited value against ranged attacks (esp. since currently all ammo in adventure mode is metal), but dodge and shield use make you nearly missile immune around "expert" skill and effectively immune at "legendary". You can still catch an arrow if someone shoots at you while you're unconscious, but at that stage that's only going to happen if you get ambushed in your sleep.

epaga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 11:51:29 am »

Thanks, I didn't realize that dodge was THAT important & effective!

branmuffincat

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me im a dwarf.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 08:45:29 pm »

its best to just advoid them getting the chance say if you are attacking a bandit camp its best to sneak around and try to spot the ranged guys and kill them or disable them

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 02:03:04 pm »

try useing the Brain Stem project
it make most head shot hurt less
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Erofire

• Bay Watcher
  • Call Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 10:59:32 pm »

Does having more hoods help?

Crinkles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 02:09:07 am »

Does having more hoods help?

Yes, each one counts as its own layer, and will protect your head (but not your face). But cloth really isn't useful, and leather's not that great either, so hoods cannot replace a helmet.

Torrasque666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 12:49:21 pm »

What if you're using Masterwork's chain hoods?
BOOM FOR THE BOOM GOD!
LOOT FOR THE LOOT THRONE!

You seem to be under the impression that we're playing some game other than dwarf fortress. It doesn't matter how powerful you make a creature, we will find a way to destroy it. God is dead, and Urist killed him.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 09:08:38 pm »

I'd like to note that becoming a vampire also helps make arrows to the helmet more survivable as all force received is cut in half and your strength (muscle thickness) and toughness are also doubled. More agility doesn't hurt your odds of dodging either.

Erofire

• Bay Watcher
  • Call Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 03:26:18 am »

Yes, each one counts as its own layer, and will protect your head (but not your face). But cloth really isn't useful, and leather's not that great either, so hoods cannot replace a helmet.

Are you sure? When a weapon pierces through clothes to hurt you, the action statement only mentions one layer (e.g the steel shortword slashes the muscle through the wolf leather toga). Doe  s the weapon have to make a roll against every layer in its path or only the strongest/random? Is only the last layer mentioned?

If it does have to make a roll against all layers, the probability of a piercing three layers is very small, even discounting the reduction in momentum of the weapon after piercing through a single layer.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 10:49:28 am »

Shields give an extra chance to mitigate a ranged hit and are much more effective than a helm.
And two shields are even more effective than one shield, since they each get their own chance to block attacks. Carry a dozen shields in your non-weapon hand and almost nothing will be able to hit you.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

kiwiphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 02:36:44 am »

Are you sure? When a weapon pierces through clothes to hurt you, the action statement only mentions one layer (e.g the steel shortword slashes the muscle through the wolf leather toga). Does the weapon have to make a roll against every layer in its path or only the strongest/random? Is only the last layer mentioned?

Been playing around with adding new supermaterials, and it looks like layering really does help. Testing by armouring up target dummies and letting 20 crossbowmen shoot at them.
Helm + Breastplate + Gauntlets + Greaves + Boots gets wearers get cut down in seconds.
Add on [Chain] Hood + Mail Shirt + [Chain] Gloves + Chain Leggings + [Chain] Chausses, and they become nearly invulnerable.