Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 89

Author Topic: Your best artifact ever  (Read 281916 times)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: Your best artifact ever
« Reply #345 on: September 08, 2009, 06:38:28 pm »

I think The Monarch is up to something.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 08, 2009, 06:50:51 pm »

I think The Monarch is up to something.

Mwhahaha. If only that was called shakencrumble AT the plan of butterflies :D All of his plans suck though.

P.S. I'm going to be creating cartoon fortress now, where all of my dwarves are named after characters. My philosopher will be renamed Dr Venture. The starting seven will be named after my favourite characters (all seven will be Shaggy from Scooby Doo :D)
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Chewykittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Never befor has the letter "c" been so appetizing
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 08, 2009, 11:09:37 pm »

A legendary crapcarver would be pretty cool, in a horrifying and disgusting sort of way.

I'm gonna sig that.

Chewykittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Never befor has the letter "c" been so appetizing
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: September 10, 2009, 12:20:57 am »

I've never seen anything like it, I haven't made it, however I would love to see a wood chest plate decorated with lignite or other combustibles.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 10, 2009, 09:28:26 am »

Some day I hope to get anything that isn't an artifact willow earring. The only useful artifact I've ever gotten was an artifact statue made from obsidian and studded with platinum, aluminum, and steel, which immediately launched my dining room to legendary. Later I moved it into my mayor's office/dining room as my engravers and masons had made the dining room legendary by virtue of the furniture and engravings.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: September 10, 2009, 11:12:53 am »

Some day I hope to get anything that isn't an artifact willow earring. The only useful artifact I've ever gotten was an artifact statue made from obsidian and studded with platinum, aluminum, and steel, which immediately launched my dining room to legendary. Later I moved it into my mayor's office/dining room as my engravers and masons had made the dining room legendary by virtue of the furniture and engravings.

Start up a reserves program to give your  immigrants/haulers at least dabbling at a moodable skill.  I normally go with weapon or armor smithing, but you can do others.  That way they don't default to wood/stone/bone crafting and give you something useless.  Masonry is probably the easiest reserve program.  The end result is all kinds of artifact furniture.  Even a few impossibilities like stone beds.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 12, 2009, 11:53:07 am »

My Legendary Miner/Engraver just got a Fey mood and made this. It's the first artifact in this fort that isn't a useless earring/cup/idol/scepter. The name is fitting as well - "The Rare Obstacles" That certainly would be a rare obstacle for anyone who crossed paths with it! Well, except for building destroyers...

Worth 968,400. Doubled my fortress wealth right there. When making it, I got a little worried he would go insane because he kept yelling at me for more clear glass(I made one, he wanted more I made a second clear glass, he wanted even more. I just set the glass furnace to repeat clear glass after that). Funny thing is he got the mood within a week after striking adamantine and clearing the inhabitants from the pit.

My dwarves seem to like making floodgates though. Out of all the non-craft artifacts I have gotten, they've been:

Emerald Floodgate
Marble Floodgate
Granite Floodgate
Granite Floodgate
Turtle Shell Chain
Adamantine Floodgate(This One)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 11:55:42 am by RandomNumberGenerator »
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

tefalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Priest of Syrinx
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 12, 2009, 12:20:03 pm »

Seriously, the floodgates influence should be nerfed. In my current fort i only have two artifact floodgates, but they're really common.
I had no idea that you could make a floodgate out of one rough cat's eye until yesterday.

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 12, 2009, 07:27:32 pm »

I just got a wooden statue that is nothing special in and of itself, except its name is "Savagepartner the Chaste Sacks" which amuses me mightily.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #354 on: September 12, 2009, 08:10:47 pm »

This one amused me because the name is more appropriate than most.

"Toepuzzled the Climactic Sea", a cave spider silk sandel

This is a cave spider silk sandal.  All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality.  It is encircled with bands of cave spider silk.  It is made from spider silk cloth.  This object menaces with spikes of cave spider silk.  On the item is an image of two fire snakes in cave spider silk.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #355 on: September 12, 2009, 11:55:37 pm »

My latest artifact doesn't have much in the way of decorations, value, or even its name, but I still think it's awesome:

Arek Masos, "The Church of Talking", a cat bone floodgate.

This is a cat bone floodgate. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with cat bone, Tower-cap and cave lobster shell. This object is adorned with hanging rings of Shell opal and menaces with spikes of cat bone, Tower-cap, Obsidian and Tiger iron. On the item is an image of Maples in Tower-cap.

Basic Value: 27600☼

When my bone carver when secretive, he wanted two stacks of bones and I only had a single stack of bones available (from a cat that was killed during an ambush), so an additional cat was butchered for the sake of this artifact.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 11:57:29 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: September 17, 2009, 10:47:58 pm »

It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 18, 2009, 06:58:26 am »

It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 18, 2009, 09:05:41 am »

Well with Dig Deeper I made a Mithril Mace worth 864,000.  Has the picture of a burning human on it  :D

In Vanilla, I think it was a gold chain mail, worth ~500,000.
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: September 18, 2009, 05:18:49 pm »

I'm starting to think all the leather coat artifacts with an image of a Snake on the back is because my Dwarves are apparently bikers.

TUNNEL SNAKES RULE!
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 89