Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Forgotten beasts and forgotten polls. Is there a way to take this down?

I am an option
- 0 (0%)
I am a better option
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 20, 2013, 03:45:05 pm

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 87

Author Topic: The Forgotten Beast Art Contest 2: Stasno Nokastomsu, A Bloated Towering Ape!  (Read 283337 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Beast Art Contest: Round 2!
« Reply #90 on: April 02, 2013, 07:19:32 pm »

Thanks Cognitive & Yuli :D. I don't have much experience drawing birds but I'm happy how it turned out. Too bad I can't color worth a damn; strictly black-and-white guy.

...If nobody is readily available to post a beastie, I would rather draw on community content. I frequently come across very interesting stories about forgotten beasts, and I could start collecting them for unique challenges when necessary.

Yes! That sounds great. Also, we could have other challenges once in a while, just to spice things up. Like, as previously stated, drawing an FB based on a scenario/story, or based on a dwarf/human/dirty elf's PoV, or just having the drawings be done strictly on MSpaint and other such ideas. I don't know if this feels too restrictive for the others though.

That puts too much of a hobble on the creative interpretations that this thread is meant to encourage. Whimsical and silly is just as valuable as masterful rendering quality. The often ambiguous nature of the description pages is what makes this both fun and challenging, at least for me anyway.

Requiring the use of cripples art packages can make something fun into something very un-fun for many people. (And MSPaint is a lot like black liquorice. A VERY acquired taste. Per pixel art is a very different beast from what most artists are used to, and is a very unique medium, with its own very special set of techniques and foibles. While forcing people out of their element on occasion spurrs growth, doing it as a condition of candidacy for entry is a major turn off.  I *can* use MSPaint. I prefer being able to use layers and transparency effects. Many artists would rather do something more enjoyable than suffer needlessly under arbitrary restrictions. I am against enforced medium requirements. As a "for the hell of it, no pressure, no obligation" teasing challenge that isn't really serious, it would be OK. But it shouldn't be an enforced entry condition for this thread, IMO.)

(Full disclosure, I have done several MSPaint doodles in the last thread, some of them came out rather nicely I think. Like the walrus. I like this walrus for some reason.. (and it's 100% MSPaint too!)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 02, 2013, 07:53:25 pm »

Okay, I guess k33n wins. It was that or Bralbaard, but his didn't have color and I like color.
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Werehuman

• Bay Watcher
  • Talented Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 02, 2013, 07:58:59 pm »

DANG IT! Literally just, within seconds ago, finished mine.  ??? I'll post anyways just for giggles, just gotta find the scanner... (Its a sketch though, no color.  :-\)
 Ok, here is my mediocre sketch. Might be a bit big, and bad quality, but I used highest quality. :-/
It stinks, but hey I'm just trying to get critique, I haven't drawn in a few years besides comic doodles.  :) NOTE:this is for previous one
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 08:28:22 pm by Werehuman »
+Signature+
This signature menaces with spikes of boringness.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 02, 2013, 08:26:37 pm »

Ok, so the next subject is an emaciated feathered moose with giant mandibles and a poisonous bite? (Page 2 of thread, btw.)

Good.. I think I can do this one since I have more time to play with it.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 02, 2013, 10:26:52 pm »

And here's my shitty creature :D

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 03, 2013, 12:37:29 am »

Ok, so the next subject is an emaciated feathered moose with giant mandibles and a poisonous bite? (Page 2 of thread, btw.)

Good.. I think I can do this one since I have more time to play with it.

Ideally, k33n should now choose his choice of beast! I'll message him. nvm reading is hard

This is gold :D
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 09:19:29 am by CognitiveDissonance »
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 03, 2013, 04:25:36 am »

I hope k33n likes it :D

Rocktomato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 03, 2013, 05:00:54 am »

Actually Werehuman, I for one like that interpretation. Putting a beast in its natural environment is always good, and that perspective helps give it a sense of scale. I also like its expression, seems DFish too. If the setting was shaded in it'd probably be even better!

Also, IPunchFaces' MucousJuice is now my new wallpaper ^^ seriously. That thing is one of the best drawings of a Dwarf Fortress scene that i've ever had the pleasure of witnessing.

So we're doing K33n's stag now? If so, i'll have a sketch of it up soon. This thread, as i've said, is clearly living up to the standards of the original.
Life, like most voyages, is more about the journey than the destination, wherever it may be.

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 03, 2013, 03:57:59 pm »

Nosot... Looking kinda camp.

EDIT:
Heres my choice of FB if I get picked
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 05:44:11 pm by GrizzleBridges »

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 03, 2013, 04:11:34 pm »

Updated first page with the current beastie. Also will update with drawings as they start pouring in.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 03, 2013, 04:17:44 pm »

Nosot... Looking kinda camp.

Damn that thing is terrifying...
I make Spellcrafts!

Werehuman

• Bay Watcher
  • Talented Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 03, 2013, 04:17:54 pm »

I stand no chance now. Do we still need to include a FB description? I'm just trying to get mine in before darkerdark decides to come in. :o I have mine sketched, once again I must boot up scanner. Here is the FB description either way in case somebody decides to want it, from legends:
Edit: Can't get scanner to work. :[
Double Edit: Apparently it needs software, just going to let my dad scan it tomorrow. :[ he's got it all fixed up on his laptop. I hope darkerdark doesn't post
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 09:04:25 pm by Werehuman »
+Signature+
This signature menaces with spikes of boringness.

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 03, 2013, 04:36:49 pm »

Kiddies, this here is what we call a masterwork engraving.
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 03, 2013, 04:42:29 pm »

I stand no chance now. Do we still need to include a FB description? I'm just trying to get mine in before darkerdark decides to come in. :o I have mine sketched, once again I must boot up scanner. Here is the FB description either way in case somebody decides to want it, from legends:
Edit: Can't get scanner to work. :[

A FB description is very welcome, as it will speed things along when you win :D Good luck with the scanner, and remember that we love seeing your drawings!!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 03, 2013, 06:44:35 pm »

The current FB reminds me of this skit for some reason

[Warning, lame, ancient cartoon references follow!]

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 87