Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Meph's - AMA - Ask me anything  (Read 20541 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Meph's - AMA - Ask me anything - Open till 7th May
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 12:10:08 am »

IIRC, Meph mentioned something about occasionally getting on to update Masterwork (not by modding, but by including things I and others make).

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 08:03:47 am »

Could u list say your top 3-10 fave countries visited and note a few of the reasons they stood out so much?

(Btw im taking another 2 week trip to Oaxaca!)

Update:
While I think the above question is useful for personal travel reasons, if you find this new question more interesting, then answer this one instead.

I asked you a while ago if you were interested in modding another game (i.e. ctp2 wiki can be found here http://www.ctp2.info/), but you said you'd probably not mod any other game (despite the awesome possibilities available to you for ctp2, forum for the game (albeit almost dead) can be found here apolyton.net, or weplayciv.com).

So here's my question, would you ever consider modding a different game and what game/(reasons) would you mod for? (I for one consider you a master modder, someone who spends a lot of time trying to figure out what is available to you
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 08:41:49 pm by thistleknot »

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 06:45:07 am »

My question:
Which parameter set did you use to generate a volcano in a mostly-OK biome for The Banners of Heart succession game (albeit with some rather peculiar assassin creatures)?

Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

anomaly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2013, 06:33:47 pm »

What are you wearing?

Pikdome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 08:55:12 am »

Whats the next 'big thing' you have planned for masterwork?

rmblr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2013, 06:01:17 pm »

Why did you get a green one? IMHO, the drab green is ugly as shit ;-) Good luck on your trip. Looking forward to your island crossings.

Geneoce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2013, 10:11:00 pm »

Were did my beautiful concubine and industrious slave breeders go?
I don't care that the vacuum people are promising a blowjob machine in the future. I'll buy it then if they ever deliver.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2013, 11:27:20 pm »

Toady gave the nix. Apparently, it was awkward, he he he.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2013, 02:13:42 pm »

Wow. Toady gave a nix on a mod

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2013, 03:00:40 pm »

It's happened a few times, almost always, AFAIK, because someone reported and the mods were of a sexual nature.

andy_t_roo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2013, 01:27:21 am »

What do you think of the idea of being able to melt down metals and store stuff as liquid? -- "stone bin of molten gold", or some other tank mechanism ; or even extra liquids; being able to accidently flood my forge with liquid gold could be !!FUN!!.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Hell if I know.  Pretty humourous suggestion, but utterly useless in the case of roleplaying, if indeed the whole game world was one whole huge ass field of fruit.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2013, 04:48:27 am »

For how long will you be gone?
130 days, then 2-3months in Germany, then another year in Japan/Korea/China/Mongolia/Russia, then some time in Germany, then... probably West-Africa. There is no time limit.

How do you do standardized materials for leather, silk and wood?
More of a modding question, a lot of people could have answered that... I replaced LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT with CREATURE_MAT:CREATURE_ID and redirected all creatures to one singular creature. It has a blank name [NAME:::] and has material templates for everything. Same way I did trees, redirecting all wood types to that one tree. I also made all organs give one type of meat.

What's your favourite colour?
There isnt one favourite, but I do keep to natural colors, green, brown, sand, black, white.

Why are you not a wizard? If the premise of the question is flawed, explain why you are a wizard.
Oh, transparently hidden backup question... The answer is: My beard is not grey enough. Once, in 30-40 years or so I will fashion a great beard and become a wizard proper.

What's your favorite real life animal?
Initially I wanted to answer that I dont have one, but after giving it some thought I have to say: The Ant. Ants are awesome, I saw so many different types on my tours and watched more then one epic fight between two colonies. I was staying on a hacienda de zopilote on the isla de ometepe in Honduras and for 5 days the red team fought the black team, moving back and forth along the area. And once I woke up in my bungalow in Malaysia and the entire wall next to me was covered in red ants... they evacuated their hive because of the rainstorm over night, even all the eggs were there. I didnt mind them, they didnt care for me either, and when I came back the evening they were all gone, moved back underground. So yeah, ants are pretty awesome, especially once you read a bit about them, it was quite suprising what they can do. They'd make excellent DF players ;)

Where are you going and what are you doing?
Spoiler: Worldmap (click to show/hide)
I will go to yellow next, after then to orange. Previously I travelled by bicycle, but we switched to a boat now. Mostly overland bus/train, but then we aim for rivers and hugging the coastlines, maybe do some islandhopping on our own, if the distances permit it. We have full camping gear and I know my way around... the boat is a Packraft, 3kg + 1kg the paddles. All fits into a little backpack. Pics below.

Spoiler: Boat, unpacked (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Boat, packed (click to show/hide)

So, the answer is: Where: Southeastasia, and What: Paddling, Eating good food, diving, free-diving, reading good books and enjoying the weather. Hiking and mountaineering if I can fit it in. Puncac Jaya would be interesting, its one of the seven summits and they are on my list.

will you make my race already? >:)
Never :P But nothing stops you from writing it yourself :P

How long do you plan on working on MDF? As in, you can't work on it forever, right? xD
I dont know. It started as a small personal mod that should allow me to play DF on a netbook. I was in Columbia at the time, in Bogota... it then grew to these absurd proportions. I think that the next version and the new dfhack plugins still allow for many, many more features, and I do have a massive todo list, and there are all these possible race-plugins. So, yeah, I guess I can work on it forever if I want to. But eventually my focus will shift to other hobbies.

What is your current location?
50°59'59.42"N, 6°48'07.19"E, 53m altitude.

If you're going away, who will inherit the mantle of the masterworker?
I managed this mod from 4 continents so far, I can manage 5. Most of it was written on a biketour from Argentina to Canada, so backpacking around Asia shouldnt cause too much concern. The biggest difference is simply the amount of players and forum feedback, thats why I am glad about the child board, and it is the reason why I posted source code for other to possibly develop if I am not available all the time. Otherwise the mantle would fall to Smakemupagus, he knows the mod the best.

Can you tell us a bit about a favorite, or memorable encounter you've had with wildlife on your travels?  Hopefully not a kea stealing your netbook ;)
Hehe, I did have some kea encounters, but they are awesome. ;) I think it would be a lot easier to spam a few pictures I made, because there are too many stories and only taking one single encounter wouldn't really represent anything. Of course there are always good and bad things that can happen, so here a little selection:

Spoiler: As promised, a kea (click to show/hide)

Enough of the birds, lets get some insects in here:

Some more Africa encounters, the big elephant bull didnt really like me...

The hyenas on the other hand were curiously enough nicer. That was up in Harare, Ethiopia. Semi-docile hyenas, good fun:
Spoiler: Even friendlier (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Or snarl back at them (click to show/hide)

There was also the hitchhiking turtle... I found it on a highway, so I decided to rather carry it with me till I get into the country a bit, away from the speeding cars:

The best experience, beseides diving with turtles, mantas and sharks, of which I dont have pictures, is walking with tame cheetahs. They are just like big cats.
Spoiler: They were really cute (click to show/hide)

Worst one was probably the croc that got me. My own fault for... well, no one is going to believe me anyway, but for going over and wrestling with it. You know, just, because. Steve Irwin Style: I gonna touch it.

I patched myself up and was back on the bicycle the very next day. It looked worse then it was. Got a pretty cool scar as a souvenir. :) Hope thats enough for now ;) I had some pretty awesome encounters with wildlife that were a bit shorter, further away, in the air or underwater, or too dangerous to make pictures, and I had a nice set of photos of Red Uakaris fooling around with me in the Amazon but the camera got stolen. :(

Could u list say your top 3-10 fave countries visited and note a few of the reasons they stood out so much?
Your "modding other games" question is so quick to answer: "No." that I might as well do the first one as well.
Top 3-10 countries:
India is awesome, intersting, cheap, good food, warm and full of crazyness.
Nepal is beautiful, cheap, EVEREST YEAH, and culturally interesting as well.
Sudan had the friendliest, most hospitable people I ever met. The Sahara can be beautiful as well, especially at night.
Germany, because Autobahn (no speed limit) and good social/health security is not to be scoffed at. And our trains rock. I love trains.
New Zealand is quite nice, with all the outdoor possibilities compressed into such a small scale.
Italy. Roma, Milano, Firenze, but also the dolomites in the alps. The Via Ferratas are amazing for climbers.
Patagonian part of Chile/Argentina. Again, mountains and ice and crazy animals are just amazing.
Cambodia, cheap super delicious food, Angkor Wat, beaches with 1/10 of the tourists Thailand has...
Andaman Islands, part of India, but not really. They were... hands down, the very best place. No competition. Neil Island ftw.

Which parameter set did you use to generate a volcano in a mostly-OK biome for The Banners of Heart succession game (albeit with some rather peculiar assassin creatures)?
If you mean the settings and worldgen by parameter set then it is: Included worldgen "GOOD BIOMES", also called "Blessed Serra", with default mod settings. Only change was enabling the 4 evil twin races, evil elves, dwarves, humans and drow. Thats it.

What are you wearing?
A black, shortsleeved shirt, dark grey suitpants, a black smith&wesson H3 watch and black socks/shoes. Black rimmed glasses with a thin frame, but small ones, not these GordonFreeman/hipster glasses. Thats pretty standard clothing for me, either that or sport-related uniforms.

Whats the next 'big thing' you have planned for masterwork?
From my side it will probably be the magic system, with magic ammo and wands, more spells and spell-learning/leveling-mechanic for mages and familiars, pets they keep around. But I wont be modding much these next months, so... for the next big thing you probably have to look towards Smake and Putnam.

Why did you get a green one? IMHO, the drab green is ugly as shit ;-) Good luck on your trip. Looking forward to your island crossings.
(Background info: We know each other and have been at the same time in Southamerica, Northafrica and Europe. I had a good look at this blue boat, same model and size as mine, before I bought one myself. Rmblr is currently bike/rafting his way across Europe on the Danube towards Asia)
1. I like neutral, natural colors. BLUE ISNT ONE OF THOSE :P
2. I like olive green, after all I have been in the military. Still have my ghillie suit :P (and I am the only mountaineer that I know who has a completely white set of mountain clothing)
3. My girlfriend thinks the green one looks better.
4. The green one is superior to yours, deal with it :P At least we dont have a hole yet :P (hope you are doing better now, with the warmer weather, your videos looked freaking cold)

Since Toady One semi-officially supports this mod by enabling me access to a child board, he does have control about the content. Concubines were too controversial, so they were cut.

What do you think of the idea of being able to melt down metals and store stuff as liquid?
The idea is good, but cant be done by modding. Maybe in the future with a more advanced dfhack, or if Toady codes in custom liquids. But currently impossible.

And thats it. :) In 4 days I will start again, I will try to upload a bugfix update before then, but dont expect any major features in the next months.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 05:17:30 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: Meph's - AMA - Ask me anything - Answered :)
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2013, 06:12:02 am »

You wrestled with a CROC? Damn, you're more of a man than I'll ever be.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2013, 07:09:03 am »

That croc bite looks nasty :o

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2013, 07:13:59 am »

Why didn't you paint the turtle green, red or blue? You could have brought it back home and used it to freak out drivers...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5