Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 311

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 477895 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: The new Order of the Stick thread: 909 Shifting Sands
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 03:23:08 am »

Also, Durkon was prophesied to return to his home posthumously. Well, now he's dead! And yet still conscious. How convenient. You know, I'm sure any language in a world where resurrection and undeath is so common would have a word for "never to be conscious again" instead of just "dead".
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2013, 10:35:11 am »

It wasn't.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2013, 11:44:26 am »

Hopefully when we get to the point of him returning home we don't get too long an arc "I can't have MY daughter serving in a clergy with a VAMPIRE!" sort of bullshit.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2013, 11:48:39 am »

When was it prophesied that Durkon would cause destruction upon returning home? Because I can't remember that part...
It was in the Origin of the PC's. An oracle predicts to the high priest that Durkon will bring great destruction when he returns home. The priest responds by sending him off to human lands and forbids him to return before he sends for him, figuring that way he can be sure Durkon will never return.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2013, 11:51:56 am »

When was it prophesied that Durkon would cause destruction upon returning home? Because I can't remember that part...
The high priest of Thor, Hurak was the one to send Durkon on his mission to learn from the humans and return home to act as a cultural instructor. The real reason however was that Hurak had learned of the prophecy that Durkon would bring death and destruction to his home when he next returned, and so intended for Durkon to never return. I posted it in the WTF thread some time, but I can't find it right now.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2013, 11:54:30 am »

The prophecy, in On the Origins of PCs, was
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

edit: Ninja'd

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2013, 04:50:42 pm »

It was in the Origin of the PC's. An oracle predicts to the high priest that Durkon will bring great destruction when he returns home. The priest responds by sending him off to human lands and forbids him to return before he sends for him, figuring that way he can be sure Durkon will never return.

It seems to me that the best way to go about it would have been to make sure he never leaves, and thus never has to return. Or just kill him, I guess, but a prophecy isn't really a prophecy unless it's somehow ironically self-fulfilling.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2013, 04:56:55 pm »

Well he'd already never left, but the high priest's reasoning was that someday he'd step out for groceries or something then BAM death and destruction falls. So sending him off into human lands and forbidding him from ever returning seemed a better option.

But I agree, actually telling him that there's a prophecy tying him returning to them with death and destruction seems like it would have worked out better.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2013, 06:52:25 pm »

Unless they were afraid that telling the Dwarf-Among-Dwarfs that he was going to bring destruction to his people would cause him to snap in such a way that would bring destruction to his people.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2013, 07:40:51 pm »

Unless they were afraid that telling the Dwarf-Among-Dwarfs that he was going to bring destruction to his people would cause him to snap in such a way that would bring destruction to his people.
Even then, the Durkon they would be telling this could be a different Durkon in the future. Initially Durkon's sense of duty was so strong [and still seems so] that he would have willfully exiled himself to protect the Fortress, but as Malack put it people change so much that the older one is essentially dead. To risk the safety of your entire people on the willpower of one Dwarf is risky at best. Additionally, killing Durkon would never have come to anyone's minds. The Dwarves there are good people, they wouldn't kill an innocent to save the innocent, at least where an alternative is available.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2013, 07:59:00 pm »

I imagine delaying tactics was a good enough reason for Durkon to be sent out. It can't be avoided, so you may as well prepare for rebuilding. I'd argue that the "for us all" in the prophecy is the interesting bit. In fact, a high priest of Thor with that many years to prepare and contacts with other kingdoms? I smell a glory-stealing adventuring party showing up and answering the question as to why the fate of the world is being left to a bunch of mid level PC's.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 08:02:51 pm by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2013, 12:52:46 am »

Well, if you recall the letter that MitD ate, there's a new High Priest of Thor who has no idea about the prophecy nor about Durkon's exile.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2013, 09:23:20 am »

I trust that is just as planned.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2013, 12:06:34 pm »

Am I the only one noticed something wrong with the time of day in the most recent strips? How long did they spend in the pyramid? It's still bright daylight out(enough to kill a vampire, certainly), even though they spent several hours in that Lotus-Eater trap, and it was daytime when they went in.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2013, 12:14:08 pm »

Well the linear guild still hadn't found the central chamber, so it was probably only something like three or four hours tops.

Or failing that they were under over night, and the Linear guild stopped to rest for a while (or spent a good long time stuck in the lotus eater trap themselves).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 311