Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Best ship?

AngelxAlistair (Toy ship ahoy!)
- 2 (8.7%)
RichardxCyrielle (Yes, she's a side character. No, that does not make this any less cute.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelinaxYurixNuriel (HAREM)
- 5 (21.7%)
RichardxCamille (The only couple who knew each other for longer than two months. Woo~)
- 1 (4.3%)
AshleyxConnyxNurielxBismuth (OPPOSING HAREM)
- 1 (4.3%)
LylexEveryone (An Uke and five Semes. Go figure.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AlistairxCatherine (Minako, eat your heart out.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelina (The original, accept no substitutes.)
- 1 (4.3%)
LyleXRichard (Too much yuri, not enough yaoi.)
- 1 (4.3%)
IzzyxLucas (Because a normal tsundere is not enough.)
- 1 (4.3%)
WillxStella (*insert witty tagline here*)
- 2 (8.7%)
MariexEveryone (Marie, duh.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AshleyXRichard (Screw retcons, I want my OTP now!)
- 1 (4.3%)
MariaxMattxSelina (The original OT3. And who was Matt again?)
- 2 (8.7%)
Richard/CyriellexFourth Wall (Who didn't see this coming?)
- 2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 933 934 [935] 936 937 ... 1030

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE  (Read 976744 times)

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE
« Reply #14010 on: May 25, 2014, 11:38:07 am »

Oh boy, I sure do have delicious plot stuff at the ready

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14011 on: May 25, 2014, 02:46:46 pm »

Okay, have some random science stuff

>void exists ic. creation cannot exist inside void
>void doesn't exist technically because it is nonexistence
>virtual particles phase in and out of existence
>creation cannot exist in the void. subatomic particles are creation, therefor virtual particles cannot exist
>virtual particles cannot exist, therefor the strong force does not exist
>strong force does not exist, which means that the nuclei of atoms are no longer together
>nuclei are no longer together, which is the main thing that defines an atom, therefor atoms no longer exist
>all of matter is made of atoms, but atoms do not exist
>matter doesn't exist

Or am I over thinking this?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 02:49:14 pm by PrivateNomad »

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #14012 on: May 25, 2014, 02:50:47 pm »

counter point: matter exists
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14013 on: May 25, 2014, 03:03:41 pm »

>virtual particles phase in and out of existence

Virtual particles are very short-lived field fluctuations with similar properties to their associated particle. I don't think they randomly phase in and out of existence.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 03:13:15 pm by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14014 on: May 25, 2014, 03:34:19 pm »

So, I've ended up catching a bug. Think it may be the flu. Could be from my weakened immune system... Anyways, I'll know by morning.

Anyways, PN, Void still exists, but is determined by the person observing it.
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14015 on: May 25, 2014, 03:35:01 pm »

I don't really understand that concept, Sanure

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14016 on: May 25, 2014, 03:38:15 pm »

Solipsism combined with Observer Theory basically. I don't particularly like it as it favors solipsism over all else, and is more of a cop-out in my opinion. Nonetheless, it means that the void's properties are determined by the person that enters it, hence, it may be entirely different when being traversed by Alucard compared to when Ashley is using it.

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14017 on: May 25, 2014, 03:40:58 pm »

Solipsism combined with Observer Theory basically. I don't particularly like it as it favors solipsism over all else, and is more of a cop-out in my opinion. Nonetheless, it means that the void's properties are determined by the person that enters it, hence, it may be entirely different when being traversed by Alucard compared to when Ashley is using it.

This.
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14018 on: May 25, 2014, 03:45:13 pm »

It's essentially in a superposition, when an observer enters and survives, they collapse the superposition. However when they leave, the destroyed states are restored, which, in my opinion breaks the analogy and ruins the whole matter as superpositions must be reduced to a single state to cause any effect. This is an issue as the void doesn't do so, it only just displays one state without truly destroying any other state, there's no resolution so there shouldn't actually be anything happening because nothing is ever resolved. I suppose one could say it's because it doesn't follow human logic at all, but that seems like a massive cop-out, no offense to @Rag.

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14019 on: May 25, 2014, 03:46:20 pm »

That's a pretty interesting thing, and goes with the void summoning mechanics. Whatever form the entity takes is fueled by the summoner's subconcious and imagination, usually taking the form of whatever the book or their teacher says it takes.

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14020 on: May 25, 2014, 03:49:01 pm »

It's essentially in a superposition, when an observer enters and survives, they collapse the superposition. However when they leave, the destroyed states are restored, which, in my opinion breaks the analogy and ruins the whole matter as superpositions must be reduced to a single state to cause any effect. This is an issue as the void doesn't do so, it only just displays one state without truly destroying any other state, there's no resolution so there shouldn't actually be anything happening because nothing is ever resolved. I suppose one could say it's because it doesn't follow human logic at all, but that seems like a massive cop-out, no offense to @Rag.

No, I think the analogy holds. The voids one state is destruction. anything that is not native that enters becomes destroyed, while those that live there exist in a state of destroyed. Hence when something that can remain created there enters, Void has to adapt to them until they leave.

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14021 on: May 25, 2014, 03:51:27 pm »

But how does one of uncreation percieve the void? Considering the solipism-observation phenomenon with the void, how would you explain predefined places like Belkelel's Tower that are in the void?

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14022 on: May 25, 2014, 03:54:39 pm »

But how does one of uncreation percieve the void? Considering the solipism-observation phenomenon with the void, how would you explain predefined places like Belkelel's Tower that are in the void?

Well, it's obviously because of the souls that were taken into the predefined areas and used in the soul mill. Any sense of regret, fear, anger, etc, would cause the realm to take on the form of it's master/mistress. Thus whichever emotion Belkelel desires would help shape her/his realm.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14023 on: May 25, 2014, 03:57:34 pm »

No, I think the analogy holds. The voids one state is destruction. anything that is not native that enters becomes destroyed, while those that live there exist in a state of destroyed. Hence when something that can remain created there enters, Void has to adapt to them until they leave.
I have no issue with that bit. The part I dislike is that if there is no observer, the void exists in every possible state at once and is still able to perturb the external world (that was, until Nodoka's birth) in a manner that favored certain states without destroying the other states.

Well, it's obviously because of the souls that were taken into the predefined areas and used in the soul mill. Any sense of regret, fear, anger, etc, would cause the realm to take on the form of it's master/mistress. Thus whichever emotion Belkelel desires would help shape her/his realm.
That solves the issue then. The issue of inconsistencies and superpositions in the absence of external observers doesn't matter if there are always external observers in the form of those souls.

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14024 on: May 25, 2014, 03:58:24 pm »

That's a good explanation, but how do the uncreated like Bartimaeus percieve anywhere other than the predefined locations since they are native to the void? I recall Akroma saying that they appear as moving shadows in the void, but that was from IC lore text.
Pages: 1 ... 933 934 [935] 936 937 ... 1030