Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: D&D 3.5 PbP: River of Death: The RP Thread  (Read 7774 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 PbP: River of Death: The RP Thread
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2013, 11:01:39 am »

"For whatever reason the Gods spared you, I for one am thankful. It is rare to meet such pleasant company as yourself, My Lady. We lost so much in the war, well...there were times I thought even if we won, there would be no beauty left in the world." He remarks-coming as close as he dare to complimenting her, as he suspects she is not a woman to appreciate appeals to vanity.

Bethany smiles awkwardly and nods. Paladins were supposed to be above the pageantry and vanity of compliments, but noblewomen were supposed to embrace such behavior. Back home, where most of Bethany's friends and family were nobles, paladins, or both, the simple work around was to avoid engaging a paladin in such flowery talk while she was in her armor. Of course Eli didn't the background to know of such a convention, and it would be out of place to teach him, so all she could do in the end is smile awkwardly and nod.

After some talking and searching-without much luck-Eli turned around. The forest was rapidly losing light-even Eli couldn't see in the dark. But fortune had not entirely against them...

The pair finds a meaty looking bird, about the size of a large chicken, roosting in a tree-it had bright, colorful plumage in deep red and gold-and a hooked beak. Eli has never actually seen one of these in the wild before, though he knows they are quite edible. It doesn't seem to notice either of them-even Bethany's step is quiet enough to fool it.

Eli is about to shoot, but he pauses and nods to Bethany-indicating she can try the shot if she wishes.

Bethany notches a sling bullet as silently as she can manage, and whirls the weapon over her head for a few brief seconds, imagining the the heroes of old who could slay giants with a sling and single blessed bullet in the days of old. Presently she lets the missile fly with great force and a soft grunt. The lead lump sails no more than half a foot above the intended target, and embeds itself inside the treebark.

The bird jolts, suddenly aware of noise and startled, but does not yet flee. The Paladin can only silently admonish the failure silently, so as not to scare the mark away and ruin Eli's shot.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2013, 05:16:46 pm »

Eli's arrow is no more than a foot behind Bethany's-having judged her shot to be slightly high (she probably used too much muscle and less of her eye, Eli thinks) he had aimed and loosed nearly the same time she did.

A green feathered arrow embeds itself in the birds neck a moment later, and the creature squawks and falls from the branch-dead.

"A little bit high." He offers, walking over to the fallen avian.

"But, the shadows were getting tricky. And it shifted a bit at the last moment-maybe even saw the glint of your bullet in the dusk light coming for it. That's happened to me before. It was a decent try for your first shot." He says-not in terms of consolation, or belittlement, but as a patient teacher to a student.

He calmly breaks the animals neck on one smooth stroke to still it's final movements, and retrieves his arrow from the carcass.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2013, 09:06:19 pm »

The paladin just shakes her head. "Remind me to buy a crossbow when we get back to town, I can use a crossbow... But at least supper is caught. We should make haste back to camp before the last light fades and I have to waste a torch to guide us."

Bethany slings the bird over her shoulder once Eli is finished with it, and turns to head back to camp.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later:

Bethany's dreams dance erratically that night. First she finds herself on the river in a canoe, in a dream so detailed and explicit it could have easily been mistaken for waking life. In the canoe with her are many men without faces or other distinguishing features. They each wore the same armor, held the same bow, and paddled in the same rhythm. The Paladin tried to contribute to the rowing herself, but somehow drew their ire, and they fell upon the dreamer with daggers.

Next she found herself in the grand eating hall of her father's castle. With her was her father, her two surviving brothers, and Lady Drake. They had just learned of Han's death, and were throwing a feast in his honor. It was not a sad occasion, not yet, as he had died as a hero and a martyr in the war and was surely in a better place, and everybody present was sure that he or she was virtuous enough to go there as well and see him again some day. It would be another two weeks before the messenger with bad news would arrive.

Bethany was then an old lady serving tea to three stupid and inbred grandchildren. Across the table sat her husband, Ricewind Drake, a stupid and inbred man and her own first cousin. With a smile lacking several teeth he invites her to bed with him. Pure terror.

The scene shifts again shortly before the last one would have gotten particularly disgusting. Beth was sitting at a table, enjoying breakfast gruel with her friends Sully and Sulky, a pair of peasant siblings. It was was two days before she was to be anointed a Paladin, and she was happy on the surface, but doubting the vocation chosen for her beneath her smile.

Thoughts of those doubts still plagued Bethany as she awoke to the pre-dawn glow. Looking down to the river she saw Eli and Ashi talking on the beach, several dozen yards away. She wondered what they were up to. It would be just her luck if they took each other off the market. Since her paladin's armor wasn't on, that thought didn't come with all that much guilt attached.

Then, perhaps to distract herself as much as anything, Bethany approached the dying fire, produced some paper, and began writing a letter to her friend Sully of whom she had dreamed about. She was newlywed and with child when Bethany had left for the new world, and Bethany had been allowed to administer the wedding vows herself.

Sully,

I am writing you from a fork in the river in the heart of some gods forsaken new-world jungle. I am questing to save some lost explorers from whatever fate might have met them. Assuming I survive, I will send this letter to you upon my return to Rivertown. I suspect you will have had your child by the time that you receive this note. I hope for its sake and yours that neither the child's uncle nor grandfather pick the name.

I have made new friends on my travels. One of them has proposed developing some land and starting a settlement of sorts once we establish ourselves financially. When and if that happens I would like you to consider taking Casper and the child to the new world to work for me. Both my father and Lady Drake are aware of our friendship, so they would likely grant you permission to leave for that purpose.

On my travels I have...

Bethany stops writing, leaving the letter incomplete for now. She is sure she will have more experiences to write about in a few days. Some of the others begin to stir, so she slips the note into her backpack and begins working her hair into a bun for the day's adventure.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2013, 07:31:39 am »

The first day up river towards the lost expedition...

Steffan sits in the canoe, holding his makeshift log on his lap and the makeshift sounding line dangling over his knee and singing, mostly to himself, and tapping time quietly with his foot.

"Up, up, yer swarthy eejit,
Up to the crosstrees go!
Up, up, yer sailing fecker,
Before the real winds blow!

Ho!

Up, up, yer swarthy eejit,
We hope you're hearty and hale!
One hand for the ship, one hand for yourself,
And two for each in a gale!

Ho!

Up to the crosstrees go!
Up, up, yer sailing fecker,
Before the real winds blow!

Ho!

Up, up the faithful mainmast!
The wind's getting up, sea's getting up,
Hold on tight and make all fast!

Ho!"

edit: time added.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 04:50:08 am by lawastooshort »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2013, 08:16:26 am »

The night before, during dinner...

The smell of quasi-chicken soup (only Eli and maybe Steffan knew the animals real name) simmered sweetly in the air as the fire was restocked with fresh dry wood.

Eli was feeling, perhaps a bit bold-and had ventured a story to the group. Steffan was the bard, but Eli had some of his own things to tell!

Between puffs on a long stemmed pipe, Eli spoke-weaving the tale as it had been told to him. Though he was unaware, he had adapted many of Steffans mannerisms when speaking to a crowd.

"I'll tell you the story as it was told to me, if you all will listen.

For those that believe in the Great Pantheon, you will know the story of the Creator God, Greek...he labored over the world for one hundred time one hundred years. He scooped up the ground to make canyons, and shaped the hills and mountains with his hands-he stomped flat the land with his feet to make plains, and the seeds that fell from his pocket made the forests and dales. From a great bucket he brought forth the oceans, rivers and lakes in great torrents. And when his labors were done, be wiped his brow...giving blood, sweat and tears.

The blood that fell brought about the Humans, Dwarves, Halfling-folk and Elves-among other humanoid races. His tears salted the oceans, and brought about the great winds, the storms and the waves and currents that all helped refresh the lands. From his sweat, however-sprung the six ancestral beasts we knew of, that would serve to protect and watch over the world he had made...they were the paragons of their kind, the purest forms of creations bounty.

First was the Great Wolf Angrim, protector of the Forests.
Second was the Lord of the Winds-the Queen of Birdkind, Yaethe.
Third came the great Dragon, Sansalodom
Fourth was the Dreadnought of the Seas, and what form he may come in we do not know.
Fifth was the King of Felines-the Great Cat...Sunudra.
And sixth, the Grand Serpent, Vorpill. He who coils the world.

One would take them only for legend, but we have seen two in our own history, that perhaps lends truth to the legend. Angrim himself fought in the ancient war of the Elven and Human Empires, it was said, and was slain-the Wildwood grew around his bones, and no one treads lightly there even today-Angrims children stalk the lands, hunting the unworthy. Angrim was the first lesson, and the hardest. That nature can be destroyed...but, it will always grow back stronger than before-and it struck hard enough, it may strike back.

Yaethe was said to have fled to the stars and become a constellation-the stars you can see above you right this moment-when the Worlds Cup mountains exploded in a great gout of fire and ash-so proud was the Queen, she nearly burned, rather than abandon her nest. A lesson on hubris...though Yaethe is said to return one day when the mountain and her temper finally cools.

Sansalodom, oldest and strongest of all the Dragons...well, you all know she fell in the war, fighting against the enemy...taking so many of their kind down in her death throes, some say we should have surely lost without her intervention. Sansa's ultimate lesson was to teach us the cost of sacrifice.

But of the three left, little trace has been found to this date. Dreadnought, if it exists, is spoken only in sailors songs. And those who live under the sea have nothing to tell us.

Sunudra and Vorpill may very well reside in lands far from are far from are own. Perhaps even these lands..."

He paused and smiled, for dramatic effect. Puff puff.

"Sunudra was supposedly shaped like a massive maned beast, like a lion...he was cunning and gifted, as well as strong-and the old legends say he could take many forms-as small as a house cat, or as large as a tower-and even to walk amongst Humankind in our own shapes, watching us. Sunudra's fate, as written in the book of Greek, is to wait and watch-that his claws are destined to change the world, to turn back the clock and bring back nature to the world. That is why the Rangers brotherhood called the Hunters of Sunudra stalk him to this day-hoping to slay this greatest of hunters, and avert the prophecy. Sunudra is said to test our strength, lest we be thrown back to try once again...though, I personally believe to merely best him, and spare the beast may be proof enough.

Vorpil is said to be a serpent so long his coils could stretch around the world. That he may even be sleeping under the hills or mountains or even oceans, unaware of all that goes on beside. Many heads he is said to have-for many times in history, has it been said that a head of Vorpil arises from the Earth, speaking prophecy and riddle-truth and lies. Seven times the serpent rises, and seven kingdoms have fallen-twice of Men, once of Elves, thrice of Dwarves and twice of Orcs. Vorpil's grand design is not change, however, but merely hunger. It is said the Great Snake seeks to dig to the center of the world, and consume the Worlds Egg-that which gives our world life and warmth. To divide and separate us so we cannot stop him. He does not do this in malice...but, it will be the end of Greek's creation, and his most tragic irony, if he should ever accomplish this. That is why we shun the snake, speaker of lies and servant of only hunger...

I myself have searched for them, as any ranger would. Could I slay them, if I had an arrow that would do the job? I do not know. What I do know is that there are many ancestral beasts left in the world...and Greek gave more than six drops of sweat when he created the world, of that we can be assured.

To merely see one of them in my life, and live to tell the tale would fulfill my duty to the Gods as a Hunter. I'd imagine it'd be quite entertaining for all of you, as well."

And at the conclusion of the story, he breaks out in broad, shaky grin. Nervous as the audiences reaction.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2013, 05:28:56 pm »

"You tell a good tale, eh, Eli," said Steffan, sincerely, breaking the thoughtful silence. "If you do come face to face with one of your ancestral beasts there I hope I'll be there to see you do so - for that would make a good story. You know, I've picked up a few stories about the origins, from different places, different peoples. Many of them have many things in common, and just the names change. Maybe I'll try to drag one up tomorrow night. Not sure there's time before dinner tonight, not to tell such a story with the reverence it deserves, that you just gave."

He got up to walk over to the pot of soup on the fire and his thoughtful tone changed.

"Perhaps I should tell you all the story of the origin of the chicken soup... Not this particular chicken soup, else no one else'll be wanting any, and we'll have an offended chef, but chicken soup in general..."

He dipped a spoon in and tasted it, deciding it probably needed a few minutes more, and he sat back down, ready to educate.

"So..."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2013, 05:50:35 pm »

Before he could begin a conversation about soup, Ashii interjected. "I heard a similiar legend from nomads among my people. The grand God was made of ice and stone. He shaped the world from his own flesh, but it was barren stone. He created life, but it could not survive on such a barren world, and perished. The great God, seeing this, wept, and his tears froze as they fell from such a height. They crashed into the world, and many melted, to give seas and rivers where life flourished. Others remained frozen, and fell to create the grand iceburgs that stud the frozen seas in the north. Such was his power that life sprang from tears, creating nature.

The great God was happy, but he cut himself on the mountain tops, and his blood fell upon the land, creating many terrible and awe-inspiring beasts. Of those, there were seven great ones.

The Wolf, Angrimar, who was tamed by a maiden's words.
The Cruel Bird-Queen, Yaethe, whom the earth itself consumed for her arrogance;
Vorpus, Grand Serpent, and world-eater, brother to Sansalodom, the fearsome dragon.
The Dreadnought, frozen in one of the great God's tears as a punishment for his sins.
The Golden Lion Sunudra, who was strangled by a mighty champion.
Zandorr, the stone turtle, who carried a mighty forest on his back as he swam the seas, searching for something unknown.

Similarities, but also differences. I wonder which has more truth to it.
"

« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 05:52:13 pm by GiglameshDespair »
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2013, 06:51:17 pm »

Ashura listened absent-mindedly to the stories as she sharpened one of her daggers, she had a feeling that she had heard them before but she couldn't place where. The burned girl shook her head it's not like it really mattered anyway, she wouldn't ever meet one of these beasts and she had no desire to either.

”I have a feeling if you did meet one of them Eli it would be the end of your life. They sound like they are almost gods and I doubt they would have any qualms about squishing you. I would just leave them alone if I were you, it's a lot safer that way.

And they probably both have the same amount of truth to them, both of the stories are probably so distorted from the original truth that it is very unlikely that either one is fully correct. Both good tales none the less though.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 06:55:53 pm by Kansa »
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2013, 10:22:13 am »

”Oh, I don’t know, Ashura. Who knows the future, eh? One or all of us could grow into great heroes, as great as the heroes of stories, maybe even as great as one of the beasts of legend, with strange powers incomprehensible to lesser mortals such as us. I heard a tale not so long ago, of a warrior – a stoic, it was said – he shunned the world of ordinary men, and lived in a barrel. He burst forth only when extreme danger threatened his beloved companions, with whom he had voyaged for many a year. Once, an enormous fire breathing – they always are, in the stories – dragon caught his friends unawares. They could do nothing, and were paralysed with fear! But the brave warrior, he ventured out from his portable hermitage and faced down the dragon, and severed its head with one blow from his fist, endowed with the force of righteousness… See, many things seem incredible, but in a world of gods and magic anyone can dream of becoming immortal in words and deeds. Anyone can dream of becoming something they were not.

Anyway, about this chicken soup…”

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2013, 12:17:31 pm »

Eli interrupted Steffan before he could talk about his soup to respond to Ashura.

"Even if they are parts of a God, they are still made from the same stuff that created us-God Blood and Gods Sweat. And an animal is still an animal. I would surely not antagonize them for no good reason-much like a mouse would not taunt a lion-but, I cannot help but wonder at the legend.

Isn't finding the truth worth a little risk of squashing or devouring?"
He said with a rare smile.

"Speaking of devouring, I should tell you all the story of when myself and Steffan were captured by a terrible three headed Dragon..."

« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 12:19:33 pm by Dwarmin »

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2013, 04:53:00 pm »

”Even if I was that powerful Steffan I don't think I would go hunting down these creatures, it sounds like a pointless risk to me.”

She then turned Eli to address his response

Finding the truth is worthless in the end if you don't live to see it and things that are powerful rarely need reasons to show that they are strong. In the end they would probably kill you just to show that they are more powerful than you, or to stop you from becoming a threat in the future. I would still like to hear that next tale though if you still want to tell it“
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2013, 08:38:37 am »

”Well,” began Steffan, keen to get started.

He was more than happy, though, to let Eli end the story if he wanted, as having someone else tell it only made Steffan look better, and more cunning, although nothing particular about a certain part of the middle could make him look good...

”Well, it all started when Eli and I heard a series of rumours – rumours of strange beasts roaming the small but ragged mountain range of Arulias, not far from home. Well, that is to say, not far in expeditioning terms, but it took us a few weeks to ride there, but that was partly the fault of my reprehensibly poor riding ability… Anyway – strange beasts were said to be making quite a nuisance of themselves in the area. Three-headed beasts. A phenomenon that interested me greatly, as a naturalist, and one I thought we could more than competently cope with ourselves, for we were told that the three-headed beasts in question…"

Steffan paused very slightly.

”...were rabbits.”

Steffan looked up and around to make sure the implications of this terrible fact were understood. He and Eli had gone hunting for a strange rabbit, and had ended up seconds away from death at the hand of a monstrous dragon. Life is, indeed, tenuously grasped.

”Nevertheless, as I said, these three-headed rabbits were making a nuisance of themselves. Three heads means three mouths, and thus thrice as many carrots destroyed. Cabbages too and according to the sworn testimony of a very unreliable farmer from particularly high up the mountains, several sheep. Fully grown sheep. This is, in hindsight, perhaps, where we should have grown wary, but we were – are! – young, and thought nothing of camping out in the mountains in mid-summer in the hope of catching a glimpse of a three-headed rabbit to sketch or slay… Who was ever scared of a rabbit, after all, eh?”

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2013, 01:48:22 pm »

"In my defense, I was suspecting at this point they might be large lizards-I had found three sets of different lizard-prints, each seeming to belong to  a different lizard.

I did not know at the time, that three headed Dragons have SIX legs and each one walks in accordance to the will of one of the heads...

Please continue Steffan. The next part is quite humorous, in retrospect.""

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2013, 02:07:33 pm »

"Surely," interjected Ashii, "YOu should have seen the tracks of these 'lizards' of the top of each other? Would it not be odd for them to all walk the exact same trail?"
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2013, 02:23:29 pm »

"Surely," interjected Ashii, "YOu should have seen the tracks of these 'lizards' of the top of each other? Would it not be odd for them to all walk the exact same trail?"

Eli makes a wavy motion with his hands.

"Uh, try to imagine if you were trying to track three people tied end to end on a single length rope-each one wanting to go a different way-even if they travel the same path, they can't read each others minds about how to do so. Three heads equals three directions-and as you'll hear when Steffan continues, they were each quite stubborn. Normal creatures walk in more or less as straight line. I merely assumed at the time it was three pairs of extraordinarily clumsy, medium sized lizards, traveling in roughly the same direction." He says with a wry grin.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5