Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20

Author Topic: Battletech campaigns & multiplayer (newbies welcome)  (Read 41592 times)

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battletech campaigns & multiplayer (newbies welcome)
« Reply #270 on: December 03, 2016, 09:58:44 am »

Yeah and remember that you can always just join a free server with your buddy and play practice/training battles with any kind of rulesets or armies you wish. You don't have to play campaign games.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 04, 2016, 01:48:34 am »

Gave Megamek a download and a quick hotseat match with myself.  My only battletech experience is with some of the video games, mechwarrior online and a demo of 4, and that mechassault xbox game. Whatever rules were used is whatever is default for Megamek.

I pitted a single Timberwolf C against an IS group of a Catapult "Butterbee", Trebuchet 5S, Firestarter K, and a Commando 1C.  Both sides had a BV of about 3450, although IS had twice the tonnage, because Inner Sphere.

The random map ended up being pretty open, with the center being clear, and some light forestry around the edges and a small lake with a cute island on the eastern side.

The Timber ended up killing the two light mechs, and significantly damaged the catapult, but the heaver mechs were able to close in and spam some SRM 6s.  SRMs manage to crit the Timber's gyro system, causing it to faceplant and knock out the pilot, and from there the two mechs were free to kill the clan mech next turn.

I wanted to kick the timber while it was down, but the program wouldn't let me.

EDIT: I also couldn't figure out how to use alternate fire modes, IE flamer's heat giving mode, or the UAC 5's rapid fire mode
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 02:12:05 am by MrRoboto75 »
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 04, 2016, 06:52:04 am »

Gave Megamek a download and a quick hotseat match with myself.  My only battletech experience is with some of the video games, mechwarrior online and a demo of 4, and that mechassault xbox game. Whatever rules were used is whatever is default for Megamek.

I pitted a single Timberwolf C against an IS group of a Catapult "Butterbee", Trebuchet 5S, Firestarter K, and a Commando 1C.  Both sides had a BV of about 3450, although IS had twice the tonnage, because Inner Sphere.

The random map ended up being pretty open, with the center being clear, and some light forestry around the edges and a small lake with a cute island on the eastern side.

The Timber ended up killing the two light mechs, and significantly damaged the catapult, but the heaver mechs were able to close in and spam some SRM 6s.  SRMs manage to crit the Timber's gyro system, causing it to faceplant and knock out the pilot, and from there the two mechs were free to kill the clan mech next turn.

I wanted to kick the timber while it was down, but the program wouldn't let me.

EDIT: I also couldn't figure out how to use alternate fire modes, IE flamer's heat giving mode, or the UAC 5's rapid fire mode

You can only kick if you're adjacent to the target, the target is in one of the 3 hex to the front and sides and is at the same elevation. If the target is one elevation up you can punch it or use melee weapon still provided you dont shoot with any weapons in those arms.

Flamer being able to add heat instead of doing damage IIRC is an advanced rule you can tick on or off before match... You can adjust the firing mode at the bottom panel once you've selected a weapon that has more than one mode.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 06, 2016, 06:00:34 pm »

The 3rd Alliance Armored Division pushed off a invading from launched from the Federated Sons, led by Simpsons Samurai.

The battle took place on Organo and the fighting was quite fierce with both sides sustaining moderate losses. The invading forces were finally pushed off after a fierce, no holds barred melee on the outskirts of town.

Destroying one enfield and crippling another along with rather severe damage to a gullitine. The hostiles decided to pull back and withdraw their remaining forces.
Several civilian vehicles were destroyed in the fight, valiantly assisting the defenders. A small donation has been made to the families of the brave drivers of the coolant truck and the mortar truck who quite valiantly drove his vehicle right into the legs of the enfield!

Federated Sons Losses- Two enfields. One AC/2 carrier. Crippled Gullitine.
Territoral States Losses- One Coolant Truck, One Mortar Truck, One ECM Variant Prowler. One Cyano.

Short and sweet little AAR from the server I play on~!

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 06, 2016, 06:30:13 pm »

Keep those comming!

And what is a cyano?

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 06, 2016, 08:58:31 pm »

Keep those comming!

And what is a cyano?

It's a helo. Lightly armored and carrying a single large laser. It was mostly a trash unit I got rid of it free up hangar space. Same with that mortar truck and the coolant truck.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 06, 2016, 09:56:40 pm »

In a daring, full out frontal assault on Warren, the 3rd Alliance Armored Division under the command of Section Leader Dennis "Mancub" Monahan manged to successful push Federated Sun forces out of a major town.
The fighting started out quite fierce with the AAD managing to ambush the hostiles in the heavy urban environment. Savage losses occurred to both sides through the fierce, unrelenting street to street fighting.

Field batteries set up in building rain down heavy rounds onto the defending forces as formations of tanks and drove down the streets, exchanging punishing rounds of fire with the defending mechs.

Within ten minutes of the assault, Two AAD goblin tanks were destroyed and a hostile Thunderbolt was utterly savaged by return fire.

With the thunderbolt destroyed, the AAD forces advanced, taking heavy losses and dishing out return fire of their own. Two hostile maradurs fall due to the combined fire and in exchange one AC/10 field battery is silenced along with a Tiger and Prowler tank.

With the defending forces desperately trying to regroup the ADD pushes on it's assault. Special forces Jump snipers darting from building to building while raining down accurate fire on a Burke Defense tank and immobilizing it, so the remaining battery can destroy it.

The hover tank is darting to and fro across the town, harrassing and harrying the hostiles. With the end of the battle nearing, the hostiles do a final, all out push on the Attacking AAD and manage to cripple and destroy most of it's forced. While the battle was won, the losses were tremedous.

Although Section Leader Dennis "Mancub" Monahan was successful in taking the town, alas he did not survive the engagement. His crippled Rhino was destroyed by the retreating defenders. I'd like all of our loyal listeners to take this moment to hold a moment of silence for the unforunate commander.

His memorial will be held on Mas along with the memorials for the brave forces lost in this fierce engagement. As always citizens of the Territoral States, see your local recruitor for more information on what, YOU, the average citizen can do, to help ease the burdens placed up the valiant defenders, the Alliance Military Corps!

3rd AAD Lost Forces: Two Goblin tanks. Field battery AC/10. Tiger 10. Prowler ECM. One Motorized infantry MG. Alacorn MK II and a light carrier (Rl). Rhino Fire Support (Royal)

Simpsons Samurai lost Forces: Two maraduers, One thunderbolt. One Burke Defense Tank.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 07, 2016, 02:41:32 am »

Keep those comming!

And what is a cyano?

It's a helo. Lightly armored and carrying a single large laser. It was mostly a trash unit I got rid of it free up hangar space. Same with that mortar truck and the coolant truck.

I actually sort of like it. It's fast and easy to place in the rear of enemy mechs, and the large laser gives it enough distance that, combined with its speed, its generally hard to shoot down.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 07, 2016, 02:50:16 am »

Keep those comming!

And what is a cyano?

I actually sort of like it. It's fast and easy to place in the rear of enemy mechs, and the large laser gives it enough distance that, combined with its speed, its generally hard to shoot down.

Oh, it's nice. I just have better helos in my hangar. A few ecm variants and such. Though I will admit a certain fondness for the cyano(RL) variant. Those can be a very nasty surprise for a rear armor facing if they hit.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 14, 2016, 11:02:20 am »

Y'all should post more after action reports. I like these games, but I think I lack the skill to really excel at them :P

But it's definitely something I love reading about!

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 14, 2016, 11:15:35 am »

Y'all should post more after action reports. I like these games, but I think I lack the skill to really excel at them :P

I prefer being lucky.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 14, 2016, 11:45:49 am »

Hah. Work has been kicking my ass. Haven't had the time for a match.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 22, 2018, 04:09:52 pm »

Wasn't to sure if I should make a topic of my own at this point, or just bring this one back from the dead. Anyways, Mek Wars Dominions is still alive and kicking. For anyone who doesn't know, it's basically tabletop battletech rules implmented through a PC program called Megamek.

Mek Wars Dominions is a server set with a over arching campaign, with the major factions warring with each other and fighting for territory.  Taken straight from the website is a brief description of the era.   
Spoiler: Dominion (click to show/hide)

Here's the link to the website. http://npettinato88.wixsite.com/mekwars-dominion     

I've started playing on it and as usual for me, I've started writing up AAR's from my fights on the server based in a semi-rp sort of way of looking at em. If anyone is interested, I can start posting on em here.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 22, 2018, 08:14:12 pm »

I've started playing on it and as usual for me, I've started writing up AAR's from my fights on the server based in a semi-rp sort of way of looking at em. If anyone is interested, I can start posting on em here.

Ya! New AARs! let's have em!

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 22, 2018, 10:16:54 pm »

Sorry about the Main Street defense one, the dedicated server was needed and I wasn't able to save a copy of the logs. That battle was rebuilt mostly from my memory and it shows.

Spoiler: Main Street Defense (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Skirmish on Outpost 27 (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20