Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 733 734 [735] 736 737 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2319510 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #11010 on: November 12, 2014, 05:47:42 pm »

I'm carrying tons of duct tape. Duct tape the sand in place then excavate.
Thank you, NAV, you made my day.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11011 on: November 12, 2014, 05:58:35 pm »

Wasn't it a 6 then two 1s he rolled from what PW said in the post?

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11012 on: November 12, 2014, 06:20:13 pm »

6 + 1 (Merc bonus) + 1 (successful 1/3 skill bonus) = 8

Omeganaut

• Bay Watcher
  • eshimdomnothry (FreedomSlavery)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11013 on: November 12, 2014, 06:29:44 pm »

I thought we were in the barracks.
My extended sig
Includes the one and only !!DrunkFortress!! quote anthology.
Also: Bay 12 Archeology!  I bring the word of Bay12.  And the word is despair
I'm back, but I can't be consistant enough for games... Sorry!

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11014 on: November 12, 2014, 06:35:17 pm »

Also, I just noticed I IC called it that this would happen with Ciel
"Though, given our track record with amps...you'll probably manage to kill yourself within your first three times using that thing. And if you're not careful enough with it, and you won't be, you'll kill a whole bunch of people at the same time."
Yay

Well then Nostradamus, why must you always be right when it comes to disaster huh? Can't you predict sunshine and rainbows and have that happen for a change?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11015 on: November 12, 2014, 06:36:17 pm »

Some people are in the barracks. Puff's guy is outside where the rec room door used to be (last I checked).
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11016 on: November 12, 2014, 06:42:48 pm »

Well shit....

Guess ill um.... go murder the amp guy by refusing to de-intensify his overload?
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #11017 on: November 12, 2014, 06:49:36 pm »

Hey, who here has used or looked over the Metamorphica before? I want some people to take a quick look at this before I release to the general public. (I should also probably talk to the guy that made it or look at the Copy right info on this...)

Omeganaut

• Bay Watcher
  • eshimdomnothry (FreedomSlavery)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11018 on: November 12, 2014, 06:55:07 pm »

Piecewise please read!

So Pufferfish is at the Rec-room

The name of this ship is the Paracelsus's Sword. I don't exactly like the implications of that message. I wouldn't recommend touching that fluid, even with that stick, Kyle.

War, famine, pestilence, which means plague, and death.
If I survive this I swear I'm never taking my suit off again.

Get to the back of the group if Kyle continues his plan of drawing in the most likely berserker-inducing goop. Stay alert.
Also, head back to the rec room after Kyle finishes his graffiti.

"We can't get into the infirmary, how about the armory? I haven't used my tokens to get weapons yet."
If we can't get in here, we can't get in anywhere. I can't contact Steve anyway, so just assume the whole place is locked down.
You're lucky he's using a stick.

BACK TO THE REC ROOM WE GO!

"Big pig on the tv screen. More preachy old time words." ciel says.

Stick with XanDan. Look for a good direction to run and charge dex in case something goes wrong in the touching of the goo.
You stick with xandan, no running yet.

I'm by the barracks!

Omega hails the humanoid.  "Are you a member of this crew?  If so, I recommend searching the other direction, as the other geniuses are repeatedly searching a wall, even if there used to be a door there.  Obviously things aren't the same."  Omega searches the corridors back towards the science lab and pod room, if those still exist.

The pod room is the barracks and it's still there. Though there are no pods, just a blank wall. You do, however, find some naked guy laying on the ground in the middle of the room. [/quote]

Actually, lets figure out where everyone is.  Swordsmith is in the briefing room, having left the group by Pufferfish  Unholy Pariah and Dorsidwarf are in the barracks, and Spinal Taper seems to have joined us, as seen in the post before last.  The post before that has Execute Dumbo, Solarlight, Tavik, and Wolfkit going with Xan and Pufferfish.   kji was by the goop, and hasn't moved.  Persus knocked on a door.  That's what I have before I have to go right now.
My extended sig
Includes the one and only !!DrunkFortress!! quote anthology.
Also: Bay 12 Archeology!  I bring the word of Bay12.  And the word is despair
I'm back, but I can't be consistant enough for games... Sorry!

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #11019 on: November 12, 2014, 07:02:10 pm »

@PW

I've been messing around with the metamorphica recently, and spent a fair amount of time just reading the various mutations.  I used it to generate ideas for a bunch of strange creatures I was making for a perplexicon variant, but it didn't work as well as I wanted.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11020 on: November 12, 2014, 07:09:39 pm »

I went off on my own by the R and D door.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #11021 on: November 12, 2014, 07:40:08 pm »

Because 2/3 of the time it's a -good- bonus :P

With a +1, you have an even chance of getting any number in the 2-7 range - this is a 1/3 chance of overshooting, with a 1/2 chance of that being a critical overshoot. Chance of minor fail (2 or 3) is 1/3. Chance of non-overshoot success (4 or 5) is 1/3.
With a +2, you have an even chance of getting any number in the 3-8 range - this is a 1/2 chance of overshooting, with a 2/3 chance of that being a critical overshoot. Chance of minor fail (2 or 3) is 1/6. Chance of non-overshoot success (4 or 5) is 1/3.
With a +1 1/3, you have an uneven chance of getting any number in the 2-8 range. (2: 1/9, 3: 1/6, 4: 1/6, 5: 1/6, 6: 1/6, 7: 1/6, 8: 1/18) That's a 7/18 chance of overshooting with a 4/7 chance of that being a critical overshoot, 5/18 chance of minor fail, 1/3 chance of non-overshoot success.

So your chance of a non-overshoot success remains constant, but going with a +1 1/3 over a straight +1 increases the chance of overshooting, and increases the chance of it being a critical overshoot when you do. Raising your bonus beyond +1 implies that you prefer critical overshooting over a minor fail.

And that mentality can and probably will lead to an eventual +1 2/3 bonus, since 3 skill points are easier to get than 20 tokens, assuming you don't end up dead in the meantime; that changes the theoretical outcome chances to 2/9 chance of a minor fail, 1/3 chance of a non-overshoot success, and a 4/9 chance of overshooting (and 5/8 chance of critically overshooting when you do).

Do you see why I said "+1 1/3 Exotic bonuses strike again", yet?

Bleh, 12 posts in the meantime. Let's see if there's anything I disagree with/a ninja in there before I post this.

Okay, so, people seem to be having trouble remembering just where everyone is: I've been tracking this through the turn posts with a spreadsheet since this event started, so I'll just copy that in here, so people know who's standing next to the overload and who isn't.

Xantalos, Wolfkit, Pufferfish, Tavik Toth, solarlight, Execute/dumbo, Pancaek: Hallway (rec room). That is, they're in the hallway outside the rec room. Pancaek hasn't moved for a few turns, since he's been tripping on Xenospit, but he collapsed after leaving the rec room, so I assumed that's where he was. kj1225 may or may not also be here, since his action was to go look for "spookiness", and piecewise responded with "does the sheep count?". If piecewise is in a generous mood, he's still at the infirmary doors, instead.

Persus13 is outside R&D, and as far away from the overload as is currently possible.

Unholy, Spinal_Taper, Dorsidwarf, Omeganaut: Barracks. Bolded Omeganaut because piecewise has him placed in the hallway outside the rec room.

And Hasala isn't on the sheet because I figured it would be redundant to track my own character's whereabouts, but yeah, he's in the briefing room.

EDIT: Omeganaut's last two actions, for reference:
Omega hails the humanoid.  "Are you a member of this crew?  If so, I recommend searching the other direction, as the other geniuses are repeatedly searching a wall, even if there used to be a door there.  Obviously things aren't the same."  Omega searches the corridors back towards the science lab and pod room, if those still exist.

The pod room is the barracks and it's still there. Though there are no pods, just a blank wall. You do, however, find some naked guy laying on the ground in the middle of the room.
Omeganaut sighs.  "Alright, this has to be hallucinogenic gas.  So, since I can't seem to open the maintenance doors, I'm just gonna sleep.  G'night." Lays down and attempts to sleep.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 08:09:21 pm by swordsmith04 »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11022 on: November 13, 2014, 04:15:46 am »

Hey, who here has used or looked over the Metamorphica before? I want some people to take a quick look at this before I release to the general public. (I should also probably talk to the guy that made it or look at the Copy right info on this...)

I messed around with it for some time, even tried a game or two using it (and probably unintentionally inspired a game or two as well).
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11023 on: November 13, 2014, 10:15:11 am »

Well then Nostradamus, why must you always be right when it comes to disaster huh? Can't you predict sunshine and rainbows and have that happen for a change?
That's just not how this works. Remember, in the fifth millenium of glorious Steve, there is only disaster.

-snippy-

I was under the impression that Pan was in the hallway just outside of the infirmary, not the rec room. I could be wrong though. Though, he might just actually be gone from the ship on a space-acid induced trip to some distant planet for all I know. Weird stuff is happening, yo.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11024 on: November 13, 2014, 11:42:12 am »

That's just not how this works. Remember, in the fifth millenium of glorious Steve, there is only disaster.
Sigged!
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.
Pages: 1 ... 733 734 [735] 736 737 ... 2205