Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Dragon Ball XdX (Applications and OOC) (IC made)  (Read 10894 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Dragon Ball XdX (Applications and OOC) (IC made)
« on: June 19, 2014, 09:50:49 pm »

Would anyone be interested in playing an RPG based on the Dragon Ball franchise?  If there's interest, I'll create a system for it.  I have some rough ideas right now, but I'd like to see if there is any interest before refining them to full playability.

Document for Character Sheet and Gameplay

Weirdsound
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mgO9TehyGqIXh4JW6G2_N8yg2T6nGhcsExTKYzL4n4I

Rolepgeek
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1F347KP7j30TenwOzRkBYZZmOa2_VNA3E7raF7Lt00xw

BlitzDungeoneer:
Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)

Shadestyle:
Spoiler: Character sheet (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Techniques (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 07:09:20 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Ball XdX (Interest Check)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 10:25:55 pm »

We talking PbP or live here? Also, what era are we talking about? Are we gonna be a bunch of zanny warriors in the style of the World Tournament Arcs in Dragon Ball, or a bunch of roided up SSJ3s ready to take on the likes of Buu?

It could make a big difference.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 10:45:37 pm »

We talking PbP or live here? Also, what era are we talking about? Are we gonna be a bunch of zanny warriors in the style of the World Tournament Arcs in Dragon Ball, or a bunch of roided up SSJ3s ready to take on the likes of Buu?

It could make a big difference.

An introductory arc where stuff is ironed out, followed by a Dragon Ball Z-expy, where the stories will follow a similar path, and the villains will be similar in strength.  The history of the original Dragon Ball would be tweaked towards the PC's replacing the main characters.

It being play-by-post or live will depend on when people are online.  If there is a decent (2-3 hour) overlay of time between all the active time of the players and me, then it will be live, with logs posted in google docs.  If there isn't too much of an overlap or no overlap, it will be play by post, so everyone is able to participate.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 12:54:20 am »

You have my interest, Hell, you might even have my attention, I would jump on this bandwagon regardless, but I am not sure about my feelings on tweaking the original story for the purposes of the Rp.

Hope you start it up, Dragon Ball Z is one of my childhood thangs'.
You are now having excessive amounts of fun

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 11:24:11 am »

You have my interest, Hell, you might even have my attention, I would jump on this bandwagon regardless, but I am not sure about my feelings on tweaking the original story for the purposes of the Rp.

Really, it's going to be basically a whole new story, but each section would be based around one sentence descriptions of each saga of the main anime/manga.  Example, the description for Namek saga, that would be adapted into this adventure's counterpart, would be "Heroes go to an alien planet and wind up fighting a powerful intergalactic overlord."

I'm not wanting to have everything the same, so the story is the character's own and I'm thinking about having a tournament at the end where you can fight against the Z-fighters, and if you do the exact same stuff, they wouldn't fit within the universe...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 11:31:49 am »

One of the biggest problems with DBZ is that after a certain point, Goku and Vegeta were pretty much the only ones capable of going toe-to-toe with the current villains while everyone else was relegated to either support duties or simply standing around on the sidelines. Of course, in an RPG no one wants to be useless or incapable of providing meaningful assistance. So how would you prevent that from happening?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 12:52:06 pm »

One of the biggest problems with DBZ is that after a certain point, Goku and Vegeta were pretty much the only ones capable of going toe-to-toe with the current villains while everyone else was relegated to either support duties or simply standing around on the sidelines. Of course, in an RPG no one wants to be useless or incapable of providing meaningful assistance. So how would you prevent that from happening?

That's where things get a little...blurry.  Magic is present within the Dragon Ball universe, as both the Power Pole and the Nimbus were stated to be magical and the power of the dragons is magical.  While this may be dubious in canon, it is necessary in order to balance the Saiyans, by making them the Best at Ki use, but the Worst at Magic Affinity.  Since the way damage is dealt is by having your Ki Power Level or Magic Affinity divided by the target's Ki Power Level or Magic Affinity, then multiplied by the base damage the attack would do.  So with these two things combined, if the Saiyan players were taking up the equivalent of all the spotlight, I could cripple them by introducing a Magic-based enemy.

Also, the Super Saiyan state being a multiplier exclusive to the Saiyans made them able to skyrocket their powers higher than anyone else could hope to match.  In order to allow others to manage to compete, I am going to be creating similar condensed power states for other races in order for their abilities to be on par.

Finally, the Zenkai ability of Saiyans making them stronger each time they approach death/die.  In order to prevent that from being overpowered, rather than having it be a hard multiplier, the boost would be based on how long it had been since the player was last at that point.  If it has been a month, it maxes out at times 2, but if it has only been a few minutes to an hour, it will only be a nominal boost of times 1.01.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 01:02:36 pm »

Welp you have officially Cleared up all of my worries, so basically, the Z fighters are on vacation or something and a lot of very suspiciously similar villains have to be taken down by the B-team, I.E. us? I'm loving it.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 01:20:46 pm »

Welp you have officially Cleared up all of my worries, so basically, the Z fighters are on vacation or something and a lot of very suspiciously similar villains have to be taken down by the B-team, I.E. us? I'm loving it.

More like the Z-fighters are dealing with their own stuff, and you are on another part of earth dealing with your own stuff, with the reason you aren't helping with their stuff is because you have stuff happening at the same time, and they don't help with yours since they have their own.  There will probably be an overlap at the Cell Games, with you having defeated your  version of the androids, then learning about the games and compete yourselves.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 02:10:34 pm »

That's where things get a little...blurry.  Magic is present within the Dragon Ball universe, as both the Power Pole and the Nimbus were stated to be magical and the power of the dragons is magical.  While this may be dubious in canon, it is necessary in order to balance the Saiyans, by making them the Best at Ki use, but the Worst at Magic Affinity.  Since the way damage is dealt is by having your Ki Power Level or Magic Affinity divided by the target's Ki Power Level or Magic Affinity, then multiplied by the base damage the attack would do.  So with these two things combined, if the Saiyan players were taking up the equivalent of all the spotlight, I could cripple them by introducing a Magic-based enemy.

Also, the Super Saiyan state being a multiplier exclusive to the Saiyans made them able to skyrocket their powers higher than anyone else could hope to match.  In order to allow others to manage to compete, I am going to be creating similar condensed power states for other races in order for their abilities to be on par.

Finally, the Zenkai ability of Saiyans making them stronger each time they approach death/die.  In order to prevent that from being overpowered, rather than having it be a hard multiplier, the boost would be based on how long it had been since the player was last at that point.  If it has been a month, it maxes out at times 2, but if it has only been a few minutes to an hour, it will only be a nominal boost of times 1.01.

Sounds good. You have my interest.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 02:19:12 pm »

All checksums complete, I can't wait for it.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 02:34:18 pm »

You have my almost undivided attention. If this goes ahead, totally joining.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 04:18:45 pm »

Going to type up the manual in a google doc.  I'll post a link in the thread after I finish typing what I have.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Ball XdX (Applications and OOC)
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2014, 09:53:48 pm »

Spoiler: Character sheet (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Techniques (click to show/hide)

Tell me if i need to make any tweaks
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 04:41:09 pm by Shadestyle »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9