Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14

Author Topic: Canadian Politics Mega-Thread!  (Read 19399 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian Politics Mega-Thread!
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2014, 04:27:09 pm »

Under this bill, which got royal assent a week ago, Canadian citizenship is a "privilege, not a right" to those who have, or are eligible for, dual citizenship. You know, such as people born here with parents born in another nation. Which while probably not an outright majority, is a vast number of people.

But don't worry, it'll only be used on "terrorists" and "disloyal" people. Because citizenship is a privilege, you're not *allowed* to say something unpopular, or commit a crime that other Canadians have committed without threat of deportation, or else we'll strip you of your citizenship and ship you off to some place you've never lived before and don't speak the language (which has actually happened, because of this bill). This includes those labeled as terrorists by other nations, such as the U.S. We all know they have such restraint in labeling people as terrorists, I'm sure this will be used with honour and restraint on only those people who threaten Harper's vision of Canada the safety of Canada. The minister even mentions ideologies counter to the Canadian governments view as grounds for revocation. Because we all know that Canada was built on one voice and one view, and that we only value people exactly like us and that think like us.

All under the guise of "strengthening Canadian citizenship." By giving the government leave to strip it from people slapped with a convenient label. Can't you just feeeeeel the Canadian pride? And this isn't just the only crap shoved into this bill, and this isn't the only bill that tramples on rights such as the right of "not being deported from your native country," that's been passed around or passed into law lately. "Fair Elections Act," anybody?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 04:31:18 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2014, 05:28:47 pm »

Now, I'm eligible for my british citizenship since my dad was born there, but from what I understand, I'm not a british citizen until i physically apply for my british passport.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2014, 05:45:55 pm »

Under this bill, which got royal assent a week ago, Canadian citizenship is a "privilege, not a right" to those who have, or are eligible for, dual citizenship. You know, such as people born here with parents born in another nation. Which while probably not an outright majority, is a vast number of people.
Check your citizen privilege, citizen scum
Any time the government tells you rights are privileges alarm bells should go off.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2014, 07:14:00 pm »

I swear I've heard of this bill a while ago. Or possibly just similar ones, I'm not quite sure. Either way I'm not too pleased about this.

Surprised it got assent. I would prefer it to have died the second it was thought up.

Sadly, I know a few people who are all for stuff like this. "Get them immigrants out", and all that.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2014, 07:23:34 pm »

One nice thing about Canada though is that our Federal Court could (and probably will) tell the government that they can't do that.  They've done that with lots of other BS the federal government has tried to do.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2014, 09:48:14 pm »

Yes, then the government re-writes it changing a word or two, but keeping the dumbness the same, then push it through, and we're back at square one...

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2014, 12:10:35 am »

Hopefully we can get this government out of office before we're all kicked out. :|
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2014, 12:21:56 am »

Hopefully we can get this government out of office before we're all kicked out. :|

Good luck... The conservatives ability of Not sharing their votes with anyone... makes them quite the leviathan in the "they are sinking Canada" sort of way.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2014, 09:47:03 am »

People in this country need to start actually voting, then we'd be fine. If any of you are voting age, vote next year! If you know anyone who isn't planning on voting, convince them to vote! We're never going to get the Government we want, if no one votes for it.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2014, 10:06:58 am »

And talk to people about a proportional vote, last time Ontario had a referendum about it, it lost partly because people didn't understand balls about it.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2014, 10:08:21 am »

Yes, I remember arguing with my stepfather about how it made the most sense, and how anything was better than our current system, but he'd hear nothing of it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2014, 10:11:52 am »

I'll vote when internet voting becomes possible.

Until then I don't think my vote matters.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2014, 10:49:42 am »

I kind of understand why some people don't vote.  I mean, if you don't like or trust any of the parties, it seems pointless to give your support to one.  Although in that case I think people should take a closer look at the independent candidates in their ridings.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2014, 10:53:35 am »

But don't worry, it'll only be used on "terrorists" and "disloyal" people. Because citizenship is a privilege, you're not *allowed* to say something unpopular, or commit a crime that other Canadians have committed without threat of deportation, or else we'll strip you of your citizenship and ship you off to some place you've never lived before and don't speak the language (which has actually happened, because of this bill). This includes those labeled as terrorists by other nations, such as the U.S. We all know they have such restraint in labeling people as terrorists, I'm sure this will be used with honour and restraint on only those people who threaten Harper's vision of Canada the safety of Canada. The minister even mentions ideologies counter to the Canadian governments view as grounds for revocation. Because we all know that Canada was built on one voice and one view, and that we only value people exactly like us and that think like us.

All under the guise of "strengthening Canadian citizenship." By giving the government leave to strip it from people slapped with a convenient label. Can't you just feeeeeel the Canadian pride? And this isn't just the only crap shoved into this bill, and this isn't the only bill that tramples on rights such as the right of "not being deported from your native country," that's been passed around or passed into law lately. "Fair Elections Act," anybody?
This remind me of USSR greatly.
._.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2014, 10:57:53 am »

I kind of understand why some people don't vote.  I mean, if you don't like or trust any of the parties, it seems pointless to give your support to one.  Although in that case I think people should take a closer look at the independent candidates in their ridings.

What like the Green party? which a lot of people keep thinking is the "Nature Party"? Actually read what their platform is.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14