Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 431239 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #1110 on: January 06, 2015, 07:21:05 pm »

Um, have to be married for babies.

Anyway, I've only seen 1 natural marriage in DF in about 3 years of playing.  It's just really rare in my experience.  You could be unlucky and just have dwarves who are willing to get to lover status but not to married status.  That's possible now.  On the other hand, they just may not be socializing enough.  One option to help with that is to assign the two to a small burrow and hope they socialize more.  Another option is to set up one or two 3x3 meeting zones so that all of your dwarves will socialize more.
Nope
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: January 06, 2015, 10:01:12 pm »

...so, wait, are the dwarven women both lovers to one father?  That's not supposed to happen either.  Either something has change drastically lately, broken lately, or something else is going on (DFHack?).
Through pain, I find wisdom.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: January 06, 2015, 10:46:06 pm »

...so, wait, are the dwarven women both lovers to one father?  That's not supposed to happen either.  Either something has change drastically lately, broken lately, or something else is going on (DFHack?).
Im not sure myself.  Im not using third party apps.  They were born 2 days apart, iirc.
  Well, Therapist :|
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: January 07, 2015, 03:20:22 am »

Well, this is all very weird enlightening. I shall have to stick with them for longer and see what happens.

BTW, there is only one 2x2 dining room. I figured that would be enough for socializing...
()==[:::::::::::::>

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: January 07, 2015, 12:06:00 pm »

Nope

Hmm, which version of DF was that? I'm just wondering now if you got lucky with a bug, and it's fixed for DF 0.40.23.

My two pairs of 'lovers' are now up to 11 years living in sin. I gave them joint bedrooms with beds next to each other. Nothing. All I'm asking is how is babby formed. how dwarf get pragnent.  :o

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: January 07, 2015, 12:15:28 pm »

I dont know if lovers are restricted to just one mate?  Or what if they pair-bonded on the same exact click?
PKs DF Mod!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: January 07, 2015, 02:17:00 pm »

Lovers are supposed to be limited to a 1-to-1 basis like marriages.  Or at least have been up through version .40.  I don't think that was intentionally changed, so it might be a bug you ran into.  Quite how that happened I have no idea.  I would suggest reporting it as a bug and uploading the save, but based on what I know about the internal structure of the game I doubt Toady can reverse engineer how it happened from the save.  Guess it couldn't hurt though.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: January 07, 2015, 02:19:05 pm »

Lovers are supposed to be limited to a 1-to-1 basis like marriages.  Or at least have been up through version .40.  I don't think that was intentionally changed, so it might be a bug you ran into.  Quite how that happened I have no idea.  I would suggest reporting it as a bug and uploading the save, but based on what I know about the internal structure of the game I doubt Toady can reverse engineer how it happened from the save.  Guess it couldn't hurt though.

My (not very reliable) memory suggests that there was some bug about dwarves getting into relationships / having children "like animals" but it was fixed. I may be imagining that, though. I looked in the bugtracker and didn't find anything relevant.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: January 07, 2015, 02:39:07 pm »

At least you get lovers.  All my dwarves either arrive married or they're asocial turbo virgins.  The only exceptions I get are the two miners or the mason and carpenter.

But I wanted to ask something else.  I understand that in 40.23 you now actually get sieges again.  I'm not so interested in merely delaying the sieges.  I want to know if there is a way to temper their frequency/severity, or even if there is a way to get ambushes without sieges.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: January 07, 2015, 03:15:19 pm »

Supposedly embarking farther away from enemies delays their attacks, but I have no idea if it's true or not.  Embarking far enough away will prevent them altogether.  The usual suggestions are that more population and exported wealth entice more attackers, but I don't think anyone has deciphered just how this works yet.

My (not very reliable) memory suggests that there was some bug about dwarves getting into relationships / having children "like animals" but it was fixed. I may be imagining that, though. I looked in the bugtracker and didn't find anything relevant.

This is true, but it was several (many?) minor releases ago so I was assuming it didn't factor into this.  I think it also bypassed the lover / married thing altogether, so I don't think it would cause dwarves to get into 3-way relationships like that.

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: January 07, 2015, 06:53:52 pm »

My dwarves are not socializing, i gave them some social skills at start and They are all rusty.
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: January 07, 2015, 07:01:38 pm »

Do you keep them busy?  They won't socialize unless they have no job and are standing next to each other.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: January 08, 2015, 12:52:18 am »

Can anyone explain this?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is a bug right? I doubt there is such a position in the human civ :P

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: January 08, 2015, 01:03:34 am »

Is that a religion related thing?  I seem to recall reading somewhere that they can get weird position titles like that, but if so it must be something you only see in adventure mode since I've never seen anything like it in fort mode.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: January 08, 2015, 01:12:00 am »

Is that a religion related thing?  I seem to recall reading somewhere that they can get weird position titles like that, but if so it must be something you only see in adventure mode since I've never seen anything like it in fort mode.
Probably, the human diplomat who is a vampire by the way told me these news however it does not show up in the civ screen itself.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 268