Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: PKs Mod: Tenitively Released  (Read 7707 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
PKs Mod: Tenitively Released
« on: February 18, 2020, 08:38:00 pm »

0.9d Mod

**  This mod is my attempt to provide a near-vanilla experience while still changing enough to create a unique experience.  It adds redundant civs, redesigns the attribute range of civs, and hopes to make both fortress and adventure mod feels that much different.

Spoiler: New Creatures (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Civ Additions/Changes (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Farming Changes (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: old text (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 03:44:49 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PKs Mod: Planning
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 08:49:36 pm »

The ideas Im currently playing with are adding copypasted civs so that goblins can dow goblins and dwarves will try to cross trade with other dwarves.

The idea is going to add more 'clutter' to an already outdated UI, but also more life to the game/world.

My current vision of the civs:

- Dwarves are traditional and proud.  They mature slower than humans, at 18 years to adulthood.  They tend to fight over trade deals and insults.
- Humans are the 'diplomats'.  They use most weapons and most resources.  They will die somewhat earlier than the base game [lifespan=80] and show the greatest variation in their ethics and beliefs.
- Elves are less strong but more agile, relying upon their animals of war more.  They will live for long periods of time, and i want them to behave more aggressively than in the base game.
- Goblins are toned down into having some structure in their society.  Still crude and disdainful of order, they will do basic things like actually needing to eat and animal care.  An idea I have was to create a civ where they arent demon-spawned, though the idea that goblins are hellfiends brought to earth is appealing in its own way.  Goblins are build more infrastructure.
- Merlocks are meant to sub in for goblins are a secondary antagonist.  They typically fare great against all manners of worldgen warfare.  They are carnivorous, rude, guileful, and will kidnap children.  They prefer lighter slashing weapons and prefer tundra and desserts.  They live in mountain halls of their own, and prefer the underground.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 08:50:33 pm »

Spoiler: notes (click to show/hide)
PKs DF Mod!

redivider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 07:40:19 pm »

HOLY SHAT its PK himself, man I play a lot of cdda (especially lately) and every time with PKs rebalancing. Idk why you stopped devving it but I just wanted to say thanks for your work sir.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 10:57:15 am »

HOLY SHAT its PK himself, man I play a lot of cdda (especially lately) and every time with PKs rebalancing. Idk why you stopped devving it but I just wanted to say thanks for your work sir.

Hey, Thanks!  I loved making that, though its honestly in need of a huge under-the-hood revision if anyone ever went to actually mod it further.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PKs Mod: Tenitively Released
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 10:00:58 am »

:(

So the new version, 47.xx, now checks for duplicate entity and creature tags instead of overwritting.  When I sat down to gen a world I got one full of sentient cave crocodiles and giant bats.  Ive fixed that.

Ive changed how goblins and merlocks spawn, and added a 'less crude' goblin entity that now uses steel, attempts to have infrastructure, and worships gods.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 11:48:19 am »

So not doing this 'intensely', but it isnt 'dead'.

Here is a sheet of revised biome expansion paths/

Spoiler: settlement tendencies (click to show/hide)

- start_biome dictates where they can spawn; where their capital city will be.

- settlement biome determines where they will make new settlements.  All start biomes seem to be automatically added as settlement biomes, so me adding them is technically redundant in many case.

- biome support is more complex.
    there is an invisible 'aura' that expands out from the capital over time for each civ.  This controls the rate of that spread, in ratio form.  So a number like '10' is largely relative.  Think of every civ having a hypothetical spread of 100 tiles per year.  Every civ will have that no matter if they have a '3', '5', or '10'; those are just weights that smaller numbers are compared against.  A civ with 10 in wetlands and 4 in mountains will spread their aura out 2.5 faster through wetlands than mountains.
    this aura affects diplomacy and trade range.  it also affects how far they will travel to declare wars and raze settlements.  A settlement that is not within their aura will not be kept, but razed.  I am unsure what else it affects and what else affects a civ's preference to take over a settlement instead of destroy it.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 11:52:44 am »

The big changes here:

dwarves can go to badlands and are less willing to spam hillocks far and wide
elves like marshes, and can potentially spread off of an island
goblins are more fond of mountains, tundra, and marshes, and less of shrubland/savanna/grasslands.  Though they should still be plenty active everywhere.
kobolds have explicit mountain support.
merlocks have shifted towards wet environs and away from drier ones.  Though how a tundra isnt a dry one is . . . debatable?
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 03:50:23 pm »

Added some new armors and tweaked the entity raws some more.

New items are primarily for some flavor, although they should all be viable in their own right.

A 'selbuvott', or a glove made with a mail interwoven into it.  Probably not as protective as a gauntlet, but does not cover the lower arms.

A 'headband'.  For anyone who thinks helmets are for mooks.  Can be made of metal, wont be all the protective since it covers the forehead and little else.

Mini war skirts and knee-length war skirts.  Bushido samuri style skirts made of plate/mail/studds.  Not tested much, but should prove as viable as greaves.

'War picks'.  A pickaxe with an edged attack and expected to roughly equal the war hammer in function.  Except I dont honestly know how it will do when made of adamantine.  Probably well enough, since it is an edged piercing weapon.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 03:52:43 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 01:59:37 pm »

Rethought the elven weapons.

I tested the new 'longbow' in arena, and facepalmed when I realized that my 2 competent human archers spent all 100 arrows without much more than a sick tummy.  At least they savagely beat each other after instead of pillow fight.

I did get a single headshot with the competent archers.  It didnt crack the skull but the target was stunned . . . . . . . . .  literally like pillow fighting.

Ive upgraded the satyrs of good regions into a full fledged civ.  They are savage and a little cruel.  They use metals and mine, live in hamlets, and are supposed to align with elves.  They use tree cap diplomacy, and themselves restrict much of their woody activities.  Though they do use some.

They fall as weaker than humans, from the worldgen info.  They are somewhat vengeful, very independent, and randy as all hell.  Competing with the elves for land is . . . something I hadnt considered, and they do it well, often outnumbering the elves in sheer number of sites.  Though often enough not in total numbers.  Probably due to being at war more or dying before a elf is even in their prime.  Either way.  They live in forests, mountains, and shrublands.  I have decided to leave the foul blendec alone for now, idc what i would do with them tbh.  Maybe a curse on satyr?
Satyr have a very rare caste called 'pan'.  Pan is just a talented fifer, and decent talker/dancer.  They have some nominal dodge bonuses as well.

More biome tweaks, trying to find niches for each civ.  The nice thing about the vanilla game is that each civ has a place, a purpose, and a style.  I feel like the merlocks had that same feel, but satyrs will only benefit from new mechanics.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 02:08:48 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2020, 03:45:20 pm »

What I want to do is make an elven based material that can help them rival the rest of the civilized world.

My thoughts were:

-   Giving them silver or a fictional metal, through a custom reaction.  Didnt work because they respect the wood_armor and wood_weapon tags, which force them to use wood rather than allow them to use wood.
-   The same goes for giving them a creature that can create said material, with the caveat that elves dont use butcher products either by default.
-    Making a plant with properties to suit my needs.  Trees will drop the logs, which elves would use (not that they chop, but they obtain their wood based on the logs that would drop if cut) and could be used.  However I would have to make it universally available, and other civs would be able to use it too, as crafts or wheelbarrows or what have you.
-    Making it like adamantine, in that the  logs are an intermediary good and then require further processing to obtain its most useful form.  However elves wont use that in their weapons either.

A solution could be to magic elves or it could be to remove the requirement that elves use wood for their army and instead use a mix of mining/animal crafting that only they can access.

Todays modding is complete; I contemplated a tree, and ultimately decided against it.  maybe a gizzard stone or something they can hyper-process?  better magics?  I dont want elves to be like jrpg wiazards.  I dont want any mana-based casters in my game.

Ive genned several larger worlds today as well, in the background.  with different population limits and lengths.  Will compare how my new changes did to the old ones, and what my computer can reasonably handle.  Yesterday I mixxed up [historical figure population limit] and [site limit] for the world, resulting in 1500 significant leaders leading their civs to create 30,000 sites.  Was bonkers.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 03:49:24 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!