Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Tweaks 'n' Such [v40.05] v1.5 Fear the Badger  (Read 24062 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Tweaks 'n' Such [v40.05] v1.5 Fear the Badger
« on: July 12, 2014, 01:53:58 pm »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=9180

Changelog:
** Stable changes **
Status as of 1.5:
- Added [NATURAL_SKILL:DISCIPLINE:1] to all civilized creatures, all semi/megabeasts, *all* animals with the following tags: TRAINABLE, LARGE_PREDATOR, LIKES_FIGHTING, CARNIVORE and EVIL, also all badgers. This has the effect of preventing everyone from fleeing as soon as a conflict breaks out.

- Changed MAX_TRUNK_DIAMETER of all trees to 1 and MAX_TREE_HEIGHT to 3. Less logs! [Highwoods excluded]

- Lowered coke production of coal and lignite. Doubled required coke input for pig iron and steel production

- Changed item use tags on metals. Want to make yourself a sterling silver helmet? A rose gold battle hammer? Now you can!

- Gave Goblins, Trolls and Elves a MAXAGE

- Exchanged language files with Reelya's sorted and streamlined files, all credits to Reelya

- Rebalanced weapons. Changes credit to Bloax

- Bone damage no longer instant-death due to passing out as soon as you chip a bone. Organ damage increased. Changes credit to Xangi

- New metals
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 11:32:15 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tweaks 'n' Such [v40.02]
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 02:31:29 pm »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8913

Changelog:
** Stable changes **
- Added [NATURAL_SKILL_DISCIPLINE:1] to all civilized races, megabeast creatures and semimegabeasts. This has the effect of preventing everyone from fleeing as soon as a conflict breaks out in a town, creatures with 0 discipline skill will break and flee seeing docile animals so I consider this fix necessary.
- Changing items tags on metals. Want to make yourself a sterling silver helmet? A rose gold battle hammer? Now you can. Some choices are entirely arbitrary. I am also thinking of removing ammo tags from gold and heavy materials, to keep hunters and creatures around the world from spawning with a stack of bolts that weighs them down to uselessness.

** TESTING NEEDED **
- Changing weapon prepare:recovery numbers, for example the maul's main attack now has a prepare:recovery time of 5:6, to represent not only a much slower recover, but also a slower attack itself. MANY of this numbers are arbitrary, as I'm unsure of how it scales. Numbers are subject to large changes once I figure more about the tag itself.
-Changed MAX_TRUNK_DIAMETER of all trees to 1 and MAX_TREE_HEIGHT to 3, after findings that larger trees produce more logs [obviously]. This should alleviate the flood of logs from lightly forested maps, as all trees should have a maximum of 5-8 logs [if the trunk splits].

These are the only changes I have so far, as a personal hotfix to increase my enjoyability of the game before bugfix releases. Suggestions are welcome, especially if you've got something that's been bothering you in this version.

Changes to come: Reactions to workaround brewing not working sometimes, workshop/reaction work to make wood items need more logs for balance, worldgen stuff to alleviate some silliness, especially goblin OPness, metal balance. Suggest a change!

The discipline one sounds really nice. I'll go ahead and try that out. Won't the tree edit mess elven sites up, though?
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 02:34:43 pm »

I've been to a few Elven sites in adventure mode and all they ever seem to do with trees is climb them anyway [after giving them a derpy name], this might actually make it easier to find them since the trees aren't so huge.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 03:29:57 pm »

You might also want to use natural discipline skill for trainable creatures, or at least dogs.

One easy way to balance the wood-flooding could be requiring more coal for steel-making. Maybe 2 bars instead of 1 for each reaction. I actually use the iron-smithing mod a lot of the major mods have (without the charcoal furnace), where you need to finish raw smelted iron to make it usable, using up even more fuel, though that might be a little too extensive for a tweak.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 03:52:33 pm by samanato »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 10:18:59 pm »

Why not add the sorted language files in as a tweak with the pack,  the only thing that's changed are all words are sorted when you name things, so it's a zero-cost small improvement

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140432.0

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 11:24:02 pm »

You might also want to use natural discipline skill for trainable creatures, or at least dogs.

One easy way to balance the wood-flooding could be requiring more coal for steel-making. Maybe 2 bars instead of 1 for each reaction. I actually use the iron-smithing mod a lot of the major mods have (without the charcoal furnace), where you need to finish raw smelted iron to make it usable, using up even more fuel, though that might be a little too extensive for a tweak.

I was thinking of doing that for dogs and other common war pets.

On smelting, I'll be decreasing the coke production of bituminous coal to 6 and lignite to 4. Possibly fiddling with adding more fuel needs for metal smiting, I'm going to be integrating metals from MWDF soon.

Why not add the sorted language files in as a tweak with the pack,  the only thing that's changed are all words are sorted when you name things, so it's a zero-cost small improvement

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140432.0

I'll be adding this, thanks c:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 11:27:17 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 11:26:05 pm »

I've fucked around with the weapons and here's the result. (fyi this is meant to replace the vanilla item_weapon.txt)

Weapons are quite lethal now, although most are somewhat slow.
oh and flails/shortswords/large daggers can be multi-attacked with without penalties

(shoutouts to xangi from whom i stole some formatting ideas)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 11:46:24 pm by Bloax »

oh_no

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 11:28:45 pm »

I've fucked around with the weapons and here's the result.

Weapons are quite lethal now, although most are somewhat slow.
oh and flails/shortswords/large daggers can be multi-attacked with without penalties

(shoutouts to xangi from whom i stole some formatting ideas)

This is nice -- can you add 'special' attacks from MWDF? I believe the only changes needed to hotfix are the prepare:recover numbers.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 11:32:28 pm »

I assumed they were rather pointless now that the attack modes are a thing, but I recall them existing to bias your dwarves into attacking with weapons - so hm, perhaps it would be reasonable to duplicate some attacks.

Edit: yeah having 20 stab attacks for a short sword definitely makes them stab more

here's the ugly as fuck hack in question (and yes it's still item_weapon.txt)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 12:05:50 am by Bloax »

oh_no

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 05:39:47 am »

won't that make it an horror in adventure mode?
edit: (i mean a horror to select which attack to use)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 05:45:05 am »

Yes. Yes it will.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 07:26:37 am »

If you're going to play fort/adventure mode in the same world, you'll probably have to cut a bunch of the duplicates (which is really easy) to make it not look completely stupid while still serving its purpose.
Otherwise if you're only going to play one or the other, stick to using either the dorfmode hack (for fortress playan) or the normal version (for adventuran).

oh_no

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 12:01:45 pm »

I'm going to be stealing that weapon.txt with some modifications [mostly to make it easier to use during adventure mode and fort mode], with Meph's permission I've began to switch some of the stuff from MWDF over, special metals, workshops [along with all those reactions] and what-have-you appear to be easy enough to hotfix. Possibly castes, since those are my personal favorite feature. Probably some sort of a release today since I've got some time on hand.

Changes so far:
- Added NATURAL_SKILL_DISCIPLINE to *all* animals with the following tags: TRAINABLE, LARGE_PREDATOR, LIKES_FIGHTING, CARNIVORE and EVIL, also all badgers.
- Lowered coke production of coal and lignite. Doubled required coke input for pig iron and steel production.
- Exchanged language files with Reelya's sorted files
- Preliminary work on weapon raws, base provided by Bloax. Balance is needed and I'm still trying to keep adventure mode playable. Here's an example:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Should be a roughly balanced version of a sword, which I'll consider the generic weapon for balance purposes. Complaints welcome. Attacks ripped from MWDF so I don't need to write them all out myself, so porting weapons shouldn't take too long once I get around to that. Velocity numbers need to be retooled with attack time in mind, especially. I like how it's turning out, though.

*Edit, whoops, forgot about attack ordering. Now it's all pretty for adventurers.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 12:06:00 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

Version 1.1, should be as stable as this pack will be for a bit until I get porting done.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's no "generic" balance besides axes being slower (but hit with more force) than swords and hammers hit a smaller area but don't hit as hard as maces. (While flails are just slowass, powerful sidearms and mauls just hit hard.)

Just so that you're aware of what the shit I was going for.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 03:07:44 pm by Bloax »

oh_no
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5