Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'm surprised with myself  (Read 8755 times)

Richano

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
I'm surprised with myself
« on: July 12, 2014, 07:47:04 pm »

So, here I was going about my business, when all of a sudden a Minotaur comes and attacks! Me not being very militaristic, locked my gate and accidentally left two dorfs outside. Thankfully the Minotaur attacked said dorfs which gave me enough time to get my Marksdwarfs assembled to attack him, in short he died REALLY quickly. I'm just surprised I was able to kill him, since I've never had a squad that could combat anything harder than a Kobold!     

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I'm surprised with myself
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 08:07:18 pm »

So, here I was going about my business, when all of a sudden a Minotaur comes and attacks! Me not being very militaristic, locked my gate and accidentally left two dorfs outside. Thankfully the Minotaur attacked said dorfs which gave me enough time to get my Marksdwarfs assembled to attack him, in short he died REALLY quickly. I'm just surprised I was able to kill him, since I've never had a squad that could combat anything harder than a Kobold!     
Sometimes, the RNG look upon you with favor.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 08:08:41 pm »

Ordinary flesh-and-blood semimegabeasts are actually not too difficult to handle with a half-decent squad. Now forgotten beasts are another matter...

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 10:28:33 pm »

Ordinary flesh-and-blood semimegabeasts are actually not too difficult to handle with a half-decent squad. Now forgotten beasts are another matter...
Well, not all the time.
I once had a forgotten beast have it's brain punched in after interrupting my web collector.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 10:45:57 pm »

Congrats on killing your first mega beast.   :D

As others have pointed out, the flesh and blood mega beasts tend to be somewhat like glass cannons. They have very good combat capabilities and can hand out some brutal damage but once they take a few good hits themselves they tend to go down pretty quickly after that point because they collapse from the pain.

Marksdwarves in general are very powerful against any flesh and blood enemy in that they can often put enough bolts into them before they can close to melee range that they will collapse from the pain first. Even poorly trained marksdwarves with no armor can be surprisingly effective when you have a decent number of them, particularly if you place them behind fortifications. The trick is getting their skill up to the point where they can fire through fortifications from a distance.

Melee dwarves on the other hand start out weaker but once they are well geared and well trained they are strait up demi-gods. A single dwarven axe lord decked out in full masterwork steel with a nice axe can easily decimate entire squads of armed goblins, often coming out unscratched where as a full squad of 10 shoddily trained and armed melee dwarves would probably lose half their number to serious wounding and or death in the same situation. Elite melee dwarves tend to shine against inorganic and undead enemies that can't feel pain and will not go down from a couple of lucky bolts. Often these sort of opponents must be dismembered to kill them.

One word of advice. If you ever see an enemy that has "deadly dust" it should be treated with the utmost respect and caution even if it is flesh and blood and your dwarves are god tier combatants.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 11:01:28 pm by Melting Sky »

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 12:32:03 am »

If you're playing vanilla then shooting anything with bones (be it goblin, human or giant alike) will very likely hit a bone of theirs - and bones cause stupendous amounts of pain in vanilla.
Thus your victory can mostly be attributed to ranged weapons being utterly overpowered.

Good job either way though, I'm not one to ruin your party.

oh_no

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 12:40:58 am »

Thus your victory can mostly be attributed to ranged weapons being utterly overpowered.

That's why I always go into the weapons and ammo raws and cut off a big chunk of numbers from the ammo, ranged weapons and whips.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 02:11:18 am »

If you're playing vanilla then shooting anything with bones (be it goblin, human or giant alike) will very likely hit a bone of theirs - and bones cause stupendous amounts of pain in vanilla.

Good job either way though, I'm not one to ruin your party.

I always see people complaining about ranged weapon being OP along with whips but there are plenty of other weapons which will deliver far more devastating wounds than either of these, even through armor. Ranged weapons do have the significant advantage of being ranged though. They also tend to still be decent when wielded with poor skill where as the melee weapons which can do far more damage require a decent skill level to reach optimum performance.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 02:16:39 am »

Just because something else is even more broken (what are those funny weapons, by the way?) doesn't make the railguns of death known as (cross)bows any less broken.

and the reason people complain so much about them is because ranged weapons are quite common encounters
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 02:18:42 am by Bloax »

oh_no

Saram-61-97-kon

• Bay Watcher
  • cum hoc ergo propter hoc
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 05:53:15 am »

I once created a railgun defense system by creating a minecart track in the entrance of my fortress. It was very effective :D, but I dont know how to attach pictures.

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 01:34:53 pm »

I once created a railgun defense system by creating a minecart track in the entrance of my fortress. It was very effective :D, but I dont know how to attach pictures.
Code: [Select]
[img]Picture location on a hosting site{/img]

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 02:58:40 pm »

I am surprised that this myth about "overpowered crossbows" is repeated here over and over.

Crossbows were very powerful weapons, capable of shooting through an armored knight AND his shield. That's why the Pope has banned their use against Christians. Their downside was the slow reloading times requiring the user to be stationary, but that was mitigated by deploying crossbowmen behind pavise, preferably with pikemen for protection against cavalry. Direct hit from a crossbow meant usually heavy injury or death, simple as that.

The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 03:00:13 pm »

I am surprised that this myth about "overpowered crossbows" is repeated here over and over.

Crossbows were very powerful weapons, capable of shooting through an armored knight AND his shield. That's why the Pope has banned their use against Christians. Their downside was the slow reloading times requiring the user to be stationary, but that was mitigated by deploying crossbowmen behind pavise, preferably with pikemen for protection against cavalry. Direct hit from a crossbow meant usually heavy injury or death, simple as that.
The thing is, this version they're virtual machine guns.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 03:14:28 pm »

Congrats on killing your first mega beast.   :D

As others have pointed out, the flesh and blood mega beasts tend to be somewhat like glass cannons. They have very good combat capabilities and can hand out some brutal damage but once they take a few good hits themselves they tend to go down pretty quickly after that point because they collapse from the pain.

Marksdwarves in general are very powerful against any flesh and blood enemy in that they can often put enough bolts into them before they can close to melee range that they will collapse from the pain first. Even poorly trained marksdwarves with no armor can be surprisingly effective when you have a decent number of them, particularly if you place them behind fortifications. The trick is getting their skill up to the point where they can fire through fortifications from a distance.

Melee dwarves on the other hand start out weaker but once they are well geared and well trained they are strait up demi-gods. A single dwarven axe lord decked out in full masterwork steel with a nice axe can easily decimate entire squads of armed goblins, often coming out unscratched where as a full squad of 10 shoddily trained and armed melee dwarves would probably lose half their number to serious wounding and or death in the same situation. Elite melee dwarves tend to shine against inorganic and undead enemies that can't feel pain and will not go down from a couple of lucky bolts. Often these sort of opponents must be dismembered to kill them.

One word of advice. If you ever see an enemy that has "deadly dust" it should be hugged by all of your dwarves and directed to the meeting hall/dining hall for some tea and plump helmet casserole.

Fixed.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/