Poll

Place your bets. Who wins?

100 clowns
- 28 (57.1%)
30 FBs
- 21 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22

Author Topic: Whisperwhip: a megabeast steakhouse (Circus Edition)  (Read 135789 times)

squiddwarf16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Whisperwhip: a megabeast steakhouse
« Reply #240 on: December 21, 2015, 07:19:26 pm »

Lol we all gonna die probably. It was inevitable.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 21, 2015, 07:26:56 pm »

It is at this very moment that everyone resurfaced to inquire about their dwarves. I was like ''This is awkward''.

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 21, 2015, 09:24:41 pm »

It is at this very moment that everyone resurfaced to inquire about their dwarves. I was like ''This is awkward''.

Well we all had to get in there for the big finale. If finale there is to be. I don't suppose you can seal it off?
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 21, 2015, 09:31:07 pm »

Thankfully, the way to the spire is now through a very long and insulated passage. The spire was breached very deep (25 levels down or so) so the clowns have a loooong way to go before they reach us.

I have enough material right now for two more chapters, so this isn't exactly the end, but it's definitely not the most optimal situation ever.

In the next updates, we'll learn why hell is very terrifying and unfriendly. We'll also learn not to get attached to any character.

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 21, 2015, 10:59:41 pm »

Thankfully, the way to the spire is now through a very long and insulated passage. The spire was breached very deep (25 levels down or so) so the clowns have a loooong way to go before they reach us.

I have enough material right now for two more chapters, so this isn't exactly the end, but it's definitely not the most optimal situation ever.

In the next updates, we'll learn why hell is very terrifying and unfriendly. We'll also learn not to get attached to any character.

For serious though, didn't you have like three chambers of adamantine ore? Wasn't that enough to equip the whole fortress?

I'm having that problem with attachment with Icehold. I have a sinking feeling everything I've done to try and stop the "main" characters from going crazy has actually made things worse. On the up side, Honeymoon is a god damn rock. We're all going to murder each other in the halls and she's just going to go back to her filing.
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 21, 2015, 11:07:39 pm »

/popcorn :D

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 21, 2015, 11:13:10 pm »

I'm having that problem with attachment with Icehold. I have a sinking feeling everything I've done to try and stop the "main" characters from going crazy has actually made things worse. On the up side, Honeymoon is a god damn rock. We're all going to murder each other in the halls and she's just going to go back to her filing.
Well, until someone butchers her pets, that is.

In any case, each layer of the vault hosts about 200 wafers, so we had over 600 (a lot is stockpiled in the forges themselves, so a new layer was required for that). Unlike normal bars, you need to pay the full price for each item, as opposed to one bar for each 3 size the item has. We have a lot of adamantine right now, but it'll go down absurdly fast once we start crafting it. For example, a full squad wearing adamantine armor and a weapon to match is close to 400 wafers (where it would cost about 120 steel bars). Since we had three squads or so, I wanted to grab a bit more to cover the cost of making 10 adamantine breastplates (90 wafers just for that). I was tired, I tried to do multi-level extraction and made a slight mistake in my design. The hollow tube was breached about two weeks after the squirrel was killed. It was an untimely, if hilarious event.

/popcorn :D
There shall be a great deal of dwarven !!SCIENCE!! in the next years. Hopefully there shall also be next years.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 11:36:52 pm by Taupe »

Catsquidcat Overlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 22, 2015, 08:42:34 pm »

Squid Minion, FOR BONUS POINTS, EAT ALL OF THE CLOWNS COMING TO YOU EAT YOU, SURVIVAL OF THE HUNGRIEST.
Oh, and the demons killed a second lake.

squiddwarf16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 22, 2015, 11:26:53 pm »

Its a !!XDrawingX!!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #249 on: December 23, 2015, 02:28:39 pm »

Insulated, huh? The demons do get very toasty, I guess.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 23, 2015, 06:14:57 pm »

Its a !!XDrawingX!!

You are not in the middle of the battle, but this is quite accurate otherwise...

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 27, 2015, 11:02:06 pm »

Clearly you must make a tunnel connecting the demons to the forgotten beast cavern.
Happy fun time.

Also, if I'm not already dwarfed:

Please dwarf me up as a crossbowdwarf named Plato.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 27, 2015, 11:29:49 pm »

Clearly you must make a tunnel connecting the demons to the forgotten beast cavern.
Happy fun time.

Also, if I'm not already dwarfed:

Please dwarf me up as a crossbowdwarf named Plato.
Yes, a... soldier. We hum... There will be a new chapter by Tuesday to explain why we are currently short.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 28, 2015, 02:55:36 pm »

CHAPTER 89: Running from evil
Winter of 149
Killcount: 93

''Well, that's ominous'', remarks the dwarf as the pick strikes through the cyan stone, into a hollow chasm of sorts. ''I found a secret passage!'', he reflects, in the instant before the screams. They fill the spire, the hole, his mind. Now he knows why they've been following strict mining patterns, and he also knows why ignoring them to mine more adamantine was a bad idea.

He can hear them coming from below. The whole fortress can.

''Alert! Alert state!'' screams Sazir Skybook, as he bumps into other dwarves on their way down. ''I made a mistake!'' yells the cook. Below, the rumbling, and the screams. The dwarves don't ask. They turn back, and run.

''Seal it! Seal the tunnel!'' scream some.

''Wait for us!'' another is heard begging.

''We're all gonna die!''

A mason looks at his son: ''We'll build one part of the wall, and let in as many people as we can into the fortress.''

''You won't be able to close it in time.'' says a familiar voice.

''Someone has to hold them'', adds the militia commander.

He's lost his daughter, his men, his friends. If someone has to die to hold the tide and evacuate the citizen, it will be him.

''I'll meet the enemy head on. As soon as the last civilian is inside, finish the wall.
-Not without me! says Ber, the wolfcleaver.
-Nor me! says the Battleborn.
-Then we die together, announces the commander. Or live trying.''

''Charge!'' yells Ber, tearing through a salt-like creature as it ventures forth toward Whisperwhip. the lone creature shatters under his blow, like any creature Ber has ever faced.

The commander follows. Those Salt Demons are the first, or the fastest, of the incoming army. Are they mere scouts? reflects the commander, as his weapon flies through another foe like butter.

Another Salt Demon charges at ber, who dodges the initial blows before falling over and hitting a wall. Before the monster can land any more attacks, the wolfcleaver grabs his trusted sword and carve the foe into bits. ''They aren't so tough'', he reflects as he stands up.

Some of captain Kubuk's squad have joined the fight before the hole was sealed. Truth is, the chaos happened so fast, they genuinely believe they are here to stop a giant one-eyed squirrel. Alath the hammerdwarf lands a blow against a Salt Demon, tearing apart a leg. the beast in return kicks him so hard that his bone shatters. The Salt Demon follows with some quick charges, and more kicks, leading Alah to lose hold of his weapon. How can a creature so fast and volatile pack such a punch? wonders Ber, who is close by. He finishes the Salt Demon, before the creature can land a killing blow on alath. the poor lad has been kicked all the way down into the tunnel, into some of his friends. This was not meant to be. This is one of his first actual fight. He never prepared for this.

Alath regains consciousness and vomits a bit. He crawls back toward the fortress.

A freshly constructed wall awaits him. he wants to hit the wal and ask for help, but his arms are broken. He knows he ain't returning, unless the commander wins.

''Oh god, the fire, why!''[/i] he hears one of his childhood heroes roar with agony. Now he knows he isn't coming back. He can't join the fight, but he can still help in his own way.

''Is anyone on the other side? He asks faintly
-Yes, I am here! respond some unknown dwarf.
-Listen to me. And take notes. Here's what we are facing...''
Alath begins.

The commander is charging ever foward, trying to meet foes before they can be joined by their slower friends. The Salt Demons are indeed but scouts. they are fast and disposable, yet incredibly potent when it comes to kicking and breaking bones. A charge and a few blows can take down even a trained soldier, if he can't perfectly block all the tackles. But the real foes we saw... were those Red Devils. Giant, inflated and bloated dinosaurs with strange plate-like armor and a tail full of solid stones attaches to it. The entire creature is made of flame. I'm sure we could land some killing blows against it but... they are hurling some fireballs in the corridor. as soon as more than one appeared, dodging became impossible. We can only block. slowly the corridor is filling with smoke, and patches of fire and burning objects are pilling up left and right.

Commander Bembul manages to take one down, but all around him, fire. Out of nowhere, as if immune to the flames, a creature made of snow starts to assault him. he's still on fire, and dodging more projectiles, but in the end, he is able to take down the Snow Creature. Another Red Devil appears, and the commander eventually take him down as well. He won't go anywhere after that. his entire gear is starting to melt and burn.

The demons are no longer alone. They are coming in pairs, in groups. I can hear them laughing. The commander is overhwlmed, but they don't attack him. they just... stare, as he finally burns and falls to the ground, in front of them. More Red Devil step over his lifeless corpse.

With them come the Filth Devils, twisted reminders of our oldest true foe, Rifi the filth humanoid. has he returned to the depths and resurfaced to torture us once more? I dare not ask. This beast can hurl beams of frozen, toxic and filthy extract. I can't tell what symptoms it carries, but I can hear bones breaking and objects flying whenever it hits something. They have wings, and can use them to grapple. Ber is surrounded. Behind him, I hear more demons, something that looks like a giant Pterosaur Brute.

Oh, by Armok, there is miasma and blood everywhere... everyone is burning...!

My friend Obok was the last one to hold them. I know I'm next, right around the corner. The beasts are relentless, a perfect mix of brute force, fast and agile skirmishers, and countless debilitating artillery soldiers. Even with our history, this is... nothing like anything we've faced before.

Towering over all, I saw those giant Pterosaur Brutes, a gigantic demon surrounded by an aura of death and decay. Behind, I think i can hear the sneaky and blood-freezing hisses of a Tarantula-like Brute.

I think we initally killed about 14 of the fiends, the easiest types, before they swarmed us and grouped.

The price was steep. Everyone is dead...

Vabok, never open this wall. I beg of you.

In a few moments, you will be one of the three surviving soldiers in charge of saving this fortress...

You must seal the fortress, before more monsters come...

They are everywhere... They keep coming...

OH GOD IT'S HERE!

Vabok Boltrisen steps back from the wall. He does not need to hear Alath's last moments, for he knows every scream will be engraved into his nightmares for the rest of his life. Vabok rushes upstairs, hoping to escape the screams and the roars.

He is not ready for what also lies upstairs

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Whisperwhip: a megabeast steakhouse (Circus Edition)
« Reply #254 on: December 28, 2015, 07:45:08 pm »

The game hates you.
~~~
... if you don't have an experienced military crossbowdwarf, I'm fine with you dwarfing me as a new recruit who uses a crossbow...
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22