Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 425771 times)

Drokles

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok hates us unconditionally
    • View Profile
The Hastening of Doomforests
« on: October 18, 2014, 05:02:16 am »

The cry of the cold wind warns us of the presumed torment which is to come as we trudge through this sparse forest. It's damned cold this time of year, and the trees offer little protection from the winds.
Stripmining has left the mountainhomes empty. Our expedition of seven is expected to uncover vast mineral deposits and establish a mining outpost in a land beset on all sides by goblins, elves and humans.
The frozen over brook which ends in a waterfall atop a high cliff is a telltale sign. I turn to Urist and tell him to stop the caravan.
This must be it, we have reached Doomforests.
I hear a distant screech.

Armok have mercy on our souls.

┐╡║╕┤╒│WELCOME TO DOOMFORESTS ├╒┌│╢║┐

_____.-*¬14 YEARS LATERº'*-._____

I think SkaiaMechanic nailed it when he wrote this:
This is my first ever post on here. I've been lurking for a long time, enjoying the community and stories. I knew I had to comment on this.

This fortress is a hilarious disaster of a disaster that got covered in frozen poisonous blood. It doesn't have the length yet to match some of the older epics, but there's been almost as much activity. Who makes a weredwarf an integral part of an offshoot community? How can a fort be so confusing and disastrous that an entire offshoot society appears as well as random night turnings that no one seems to notice for several years? Who wins by throwing dwarves at an immune FB, barely killing it with the last person with a weapon, only to have seconds later arrive another FB appear and dash into the fortress that's twice as bad? Soap worshipers? No decent military to speak of the entire time? Having all the useful supplies down in the caverns that are filled with dangerous creatures that just waltz right in half the time? Any one of these is Dwarf Fortress. All together, this is Doomforests.

List of Players:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Read these rules and follow them

History of Doomforests

Quotes:

Cults
Spoiler: The Mechatechno Sect (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Inquisition (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Drazoth Conspiracy (click to show/hide)

Couldn't think of any appropriate quotes.  Let me know if you know of one and I'll add it to the summary.

This post is now maintained by Salmeuk, with Drokles having been kind enough to let me take his place. PM Salmeuk if you want a question answered.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 11:20:22 am by Drokles »
On the rare occasions where this fort isnt under siege, wood cutting and hauling is our ultimate priority.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Fate of Doomforests
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 06:42:27 am »

This post now contains Doomforest's current turn list.

Turn List:
Drokles
Salmeuk
Ethan741
Tonnot98
Drazoth
PsychoAngel
Taupe
nekoexmachina
mate888
Salmeuk
maxcat61
Drokles
SkaiaMechanic
Taupe
Iamblichos
Drazoth
Ethan741
PsychoAngel
Galena
PyroTechno
Maxcat61
mate888
Iamblichos
TheFlame52
Gwolfski
Taupe
TheFlame52
Drazoth
Mate888
Exodius1
TheFlame52
Kevral

jwoodward48df
TechnoXan?
Sacasco
Gwolfski
Sanctume
Taupe
Drazoth
PsychoAngel
TheFlame52
TheImmortalRyukan
Imic

Originally compiled by Sacasco

Original post from October 18, 2014:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 12:50:24 am by Salmeuk »

Drokles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 07:36:17 am »

Welcome aboard Salmeuk!
Yea, it's pretty much as you describe there. As far as I know there is no tool for linux which compresses map images into the DFMA format. But I'll definitely get some screenshots uploaded.

I also feel like the name couldn't be better :D.
Excited to have such an enthusiastic player take over after me, I think this is going to be good.
On the rare occasions where this fort isnt under siege, wood cutting and hauling is our ultimate priority.

Drokles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 09:09:06 am »

Our story begins in the spring of 1050

Finally, having seen enough senseless violence and madness I had returned to the Town of Stroking. As the name of our Mountainhomes suggests, most dwarves from there are a bunch of useless bastards. We'd gotten by so far by our dumb luck. Having had an abundance of gold and precious stones readily available to us we traded ourselves to an abundance of food, weaponry and crafts. We barely needed to work.
Now that the mountain is bled dry, rather than earn some degree of self reliance, the Strokers at home saw fit to send me and a bunch of other good dwarves on suicide missions in search of more gold. Needless to say I've seen more death than gold and only barely managed to survive long enough to return home.
Our nobility mistakenly think that survivors like me gain in experience and strength through our trials. But those of us who have already played a part in this mad expansionist skirmish know only the cold hand of death which now torments us in our dreams.

Being at war with the Goblins we have been sent to this outpost regardless. Perhaps we are expected to soak up their violence in place of the bastards at home.
The elves are sure to be a nuisance to us as well. Be it by their hand, or that of some unmentionable ancient darkness lurking in the bowels of the Earth, we are certain to face hardships here.
Sooner or later someone will come to get us. Mark my words, they always do!

As our caravan makes its way towards our final resting place, I ponder its name. Doomforests, what kind of sick bastard came up with that? Not to mention, our group has been named the Halls of Mortality. Not even the dullards at home expect us to succeed...

Granite 15:
Fairly certain this is it. The guy next to me in the wagon is called Udib Dalzatmafol. I insisted we bring a hunter along, but the way this guy caresses the trigger on his crossbow makes me nervous.
Anyway, here we are. My fellow dwarves admire the beauty of the landscape, I can only imagine it soon to be littered with their clueless corpses.

I survey the area and order a hallway dug into the cliffs. The sooner we delve into the cold rock, the better.

Granite 17:
There is an abundance of elk this time of year. Udib went hunting on his own, but the rotten bastard has yet to return a kill. His excuse today was that while returning a kill he was interrupted by an elk.

Granite 18:
I don't think Udib is actually a hunter, I think he's a dwarf with a crossbow and a huge grudge against nature. Recently he's been leaving elk to bleed out and vomit themselves to death. They don't really have to suffer that much, but I guess we're pissing off the elves, which is always fun.
We struck native copper and alunite today while digging out space for our main stockpile. When I die here, at least I will be wielding a weapon.

Granite 23:
Udib finally used all our ammo. Does he realize how many favour I had to pull to bring that along for the journey? We have two elk corpses to show for it, and that's all.
Meanwhile we found some tetrahedrite ore while digging out space for the workshops. The glitter of metallic ores has for the time being distracted me from brooding over our impending fate. We're currently digging out sleeping quarters.

Slate 11:
In my dream last night, my beard was trying to choke me.
Work has begun on digging out space for a farm.

Slate 22:
Finally our first bedroom has been finished. As the leader of this expedition I feel entitled to the first bedroom. Zazit contested my claim, so I told him he could take over my job if he wanted.
Suddenly he doesn't want that room so badly after all.

Felsite 23rd:
There are some strange creatures out and about. Would have been nice to have kept those copper bolts.
The farm has been completed and two stills have been built. I've placed a stockpile for seeds next to the farm plot where we for the time being grow only plump helmets. Another stockpile is to store plants for brewing.
We've dug out space for a kitchen, butchery and fishery. The brook is thawing just in time.
My office is complete, from here I shall oversee production. I've ordered our hallways to be smoothed.

With the next season hastily approaching we're off to a good start. The cold air has been quiet, as it always is in the beginning...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 08:47:40 pm by Drokles »

Ethan741

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 02:35:53 pm »

Oh, this is noice, I think I'll come in and nab a turn... Assuming that everyone's still alive when my turn comes around. I mean, seriously, with a name like Doomforests, it's just ASKING for undead-ents to suddenly become a thing. And as awesome as that would be, I don't think there would be any survivors.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 07:40:36 pm »

Nice update. That Udib guy, what a weird dude. Who professes skill with a crossbow and ambush tactics, then goes on to brutally abuse the local wildlife?

I have my eye on Zazit for my own story purposes, but we shall see what the rest of the year holds. If I was to claim him early I might jinx his poor, bearded life and find him fallen down the well or murdered by those bird-things.

Perhaps you could post up Zazit's character description?

. . .

Welcome, Ethan!

Drokles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 01:14:00 am »

Sure, I'll post an update tonight ;)

Welcome, Ethan, could you pm me your email address? I'll include you in the player list then.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 09:18:48 am »

4.Don't exploit bugs in the game.

Could you unpack that a bit?  Does this extend to all exploits, even ones like QSPs that allow us to work around the buggy bin implementation and increase FPS?

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 09:19:12 am »

I never have a good experience with evil biomes, and I feel like if I got a turn here, a large majority of the dwarves would die.

So I'd like a turn.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Drokles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
That Escalated quickly!
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 11:36:26 am »

In the summer of 1050.

Hematite 1:
In my eager to be once more covered by mountain I neglected a careful examination of our surroundings when we arrived here.
The brook falls off a high cliff down into a ravine below. It descends far into the rock.
Looking carefully from atop the waterfall I see hematite and native gold ore. Our miners swear they have spotted platinum even further below.

Hematite 23:
Some migrants arrived. This is bad, we're starting to run low on booze and food.
Blast! Through some oversight I have allowed the chefs to cook all our plump helmets. They were to supply us with booze for the rest of the year!

Malachite 13:
Almost no drink left.
For some reason our masons and carpenters do not feel compelled to finish the orders I gave them. Lodging the new arrivals is taking a very long time.

Galena 12:
The fortress is growing steadily, but I haven't had a drop of alcohol in days. Grim memories of past failures are resurfacing. I am starting to sober up, and so are the others. I don't know for how long we can go on like this.

Galena 19:
I dreamt last night of being drowned by a giant carp. Dwarves were coming to my rescue, but too late.

Autumn of 1050:

Limestone 1:
Autumn has come. If only our carpenters could get around to constructing those beds we would be doing handsomely.
Supplies should arrive within the next few months. We're digging out space for a jeweler's workshop. With some luck we will be trading in a few trinkets when the caravan from the Mountainhomes arrives.

Limestone 11:
Blast! The caravan has arrived already. We've got nothing yet.
But at least this means they may not send more migrants our way just yet!

Limestone 27:
Monom Thangatmosus, the liaison has finally caught up with me. He was chasing me around the fort for several days while I was busy trying to do my duties.
I was hoping he would give up and leave eventually, but some people just cannot take a hint it seems.

Sandstone 15:
Monom is still following me around. Leave me alone, dammit!
Meanwhile the layout of our fort is starting to shape up. We've dug out a stockpile near the living quarters to store all of the rock. From here we haul it to the stockpile closest to the masons and mechanics.

Timber 3:
More migrants? Who in their right mind would migrate to Doomforests? 12 of them?
Those poor bastards don't know what they're getting themselves into. Armok have mercy on them.

Timber 4:
I have decided to expand our production somewhat. The newly arrived migrants will have plenty of work to do smoothing over Doomforests.
At least we have some booze now. Finally it's starting to look pretty good. Next step will be establishing a metal industry.

Timber 8:
Atir Idsanad has taken over our craftsdwarf's workshop. He wont let anyone else near it, the cretin.
Brook is frozen over again, will be unable to fish for a while.

Timber 9:
I KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN. WE'RE DOOMED. EVERYONE GET INSIDE!!
At some point they always come to get you! But this soon!? We don't even have a single hammerdwarf!
If only our masons had constructed the doors I ordered 4 MONTHS AGO. I order another door taken down so that we can place it and close our fort.
He's too fast. We can't make it! Quick, build a wall!!
HE HAS BREACHED THE FORTRESS!

Timber 11:
Finally, it is over. I drafted every last dwarf I could to wrestle the beast. The weregopher is no more. But will the fort endure? Once again, the dead balance the living.

Now can you guess who was hiding away in the workshop while this was happening? Atir faffing Idsanad, that's who. He finally finished whatever he was working on and became a legendary engraver in the process. Just in time to mop up the remains of his friends.
I see that he was working on an important artifact as he likes to put it. One more useless trinket for the collection.
Guess who else is still scuffling merrily around through the tumult? The noble liaison from the town of STROKING!

Drokles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 12:00:40 pm »

Damn, that just happened.

Updated thread.
All right, never mind with the email addresses. Forums by default actually notify you of pm's by email, so we'll use that instead.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 08:19:55 pm »

Damn. Did Zazit die? How many have perished?!

And to a weregopher, no less. . .

Atir locking himself in a workshop right before the attack, then popping out with a finished bracelet is comedy gold.

---

"Alright guys, sorry that took so long but you can have your workshop back. Look at what I made!"

Everyone stops cleaning the floor of corpses for a moment to look at Atir, who is proudly displaying his stone bracelet (worth less than a good plump helmet roast, mind you). The silence is unbroken as the dwarfs return to mopping up blood and picking up various bits of strewn clothing and dismembered limbs.

"Guys? Aren't you proud?"

*silence*

---

Drokles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 11:49:46 pm »

Damn. Did Zazit die? How many have perished?!

And to a weregopher, no less. . .

Atir locking himself in a workshop right before the attack, then popping out with a finished bracelet is comedy gold.

---

"Alright guys, sorry that took so long but you can have your workshop back. Look at what I made!"

Everyone stops cleaning the floor of corpses for a moment to look at Atir, who is proudly displaying his stone bracelet (worth less than a good plump helmet roast, mind you). The silence is unbroken as the dwarfs return to mopping up blood and picking up various bits of strewn clothing and dismembered limbs.

"Guys? Aren't you proud?"

*silence*

---
XD
"For fucks sake, guys, I worked all night on this bracelet!"

13 dorfs died. Zazit is still alive, but her front teeth are in the refuse stockpile. I'll check if she got bitten next time I play :P.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 08:46:20 am »

I just had a thought, what version are you using and will we update to the new one assuming save compatibility? I'm so god-damn excited to harvest fruit and watch my dwarfs cry that I would sincerely hope we would, however the choice is up to you.

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 03:45:19 pm »

Well, this looks like !!FUN!!.  Count me in.
Welcome to Doomforests, please, choose a cult of your liking or head to the overseers office to register your own cult. Religious freedom is pride of this fortress!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 144