Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 43

Author Topic: ☼Battle of the 8 Armies☼ - Looking for players (Who wants some Waaaaagh?)  (Read 119801 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼Battle of the 8 Armies☼ - Any Dwarf players for year 2?
« Reply #225 on: December 23, 2014, 07:35:41 pm »

Ah, so he was already in there. I was wondering how he got to where he is. I made 2 more zombies by now, they both do their jobs.

One thing you might not know: Ethereal items have a value of 0. Even a masterwork bed or table or cabinet is worth absolutely nothing. All rooms are worth nothing. All nobles will go crazy, because their rooms are worthless. My Overlord is throwing tantrums all the time, and I dont have any nice materials to make furniture of, because no one was mining. ^^
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #226 on: December 23, 2014, 07:51:56 pm »

☼Summer of Year 2☼ - Warlocks

This is not going well. Our military might be improved, because people are carrying bone weapons now and have access to two minor spells, but we barely got anything to kill this season. 3 Kakapos, thats it. The single owl and the eagle did escape, and a group of Emus spawned on the other side of the river, on that thin ledge. Even if were could reach them, our supremely intelligent Warlocks melee fighters would dodge into the river and drown. We got most of our souls this season from selling fish supplies to the Drow. This does not make me happy.

Nor do my rooms make me happy. Thin, fake, ethereal furniture... any apprentice could have this. I deserve gold and steel. Encrusted with diamonds and rubies.

I flipped a table near the kitchens, which made me feel better.

Still angry though.

We did make progress on our floating-over-the-river-deathtrap of a fortress though. A few more people have beds, a quick dormitory helps to keep 8 more Warlocks "happy". Happier than me, that is. I might have gotten my tomb, same size as their dormitory, but it sucks. Oh, and we made 4 new workshops, but they also suck. And my Throne Room is done, but god damn it, I'm so angry, no one dared to appoint me as Overlord officially. (Appointed Overlord transforms into very powerful unit, if he goes berserk, the fort is dead)

Leghez Almeyumefteru Treu has been very unhappy lately.  He was pleased to have a mandate deadline met lately.  He enjoyed toppling something over recently.  He dined in a horribly substandard dining room recently.  He slept in a horribly substandard bedroom recently.  He was upset by having a mandate deadline missed lately.  He worried greatly about not having a tomb after gaining another year.  He was caught in the rain recently.  He has been satisfied at work lately. 

Sometimes I envy the walking corpses in our fort... blissful existence it must be, unburdened by thought. Like the two new additions... we have to come up with names for them, we cant just call them "hey, zombie" all day.

"Zombie" has been quite content lately.  It has been satisfied at work lately.  It admired a very fine Bridge lately.  It was caught in the rain recently.  It has complained about the draft lately. 

It is a member of The Incestuous Combats.  It is a citizen of The Teal Murder. 
It is fifteen years old, born on the 1st of Granite in the year 17. 

It is incredibly tough, but it is weak. 
It has a very good sense of the position of its own body, good intuition and a good intellect, but it has a meager ability with social relationships, little willpower, poor creativity, little natural inclination toward music and poor spatial senses.
It is often nervous.  It tends to avoid crowds.  It is assertive.  It likes to try new things.  It admires tradition. 

A moving corpse, brought to unlife to serve as cheap workforce.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IgnusPoppingtonIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Battle of the 8 Armies☼ - Year 1 almost done. :)
« Reply #227 on: December 23, 2014, 07:59:27 pm »

Well damn. This is what happens when I get all original. People die.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #228 on: December 23, 2014, 08:08:54 pm »

Well damn. This is what happens when I get all original. People die.
I killed people. Not you. :P Although the single-file-no-wall-walkways over the river are a bit accident prone. But they look pretty.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 23, 2014, 08:30:54 pm »

The Hermit - Year 32, Autumn

1st Limestone, 32.
Having reached the milestone of the start of a new season I decided to reread my whole journal to make sure I still remember everything and haven't gone insane. While doing so I noticed that I haven't put any description of me. While it seems kind of strange to do so, I'm already writing down everything I do, so if someday I do something significant it might be nice to have the future readers of this know more about me.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

24th Limestone, 32.
I've spent almost the whole month just making mechanisms for my trap plans. I really should be building the entrance room, but I'm scared to go outside without my armor after that elf attack. WHy would the elves be attacking me? I'm just a lonely hermit trying to live his life in a cave peacefully, but then the elves send a squad of 15 archers and kill my cat!
While building the mechanisms I was briefly unsure about keeping elves prisoner in bone cages in the caverns as terrifying monsters pass by and then opening their cages so they get killed by the terrifying monsters, but after realising what they did I think they deserve it. Those niths too, I can't wait for another elf attack so I can finally get rid of them.

14th Sandstone, 32.
I'm quite confused right now, I feel I must be hallucinating. In front of me I see Dice and feel compelled to Clear the socket, yet, I know The Dice are in a small display case elsewhere. I've had bad hallucinations before... right? I should reread this tomorrow. Didn't I just reread it? I'll just go back to doing, whatever it was I was doing.

4th Timber, 32.
After I reread the journal I was able to remember to cut down some trees outside to make into my entrance room. I feel much better being out in the fresh air again. Caves are safe, but they can cause problems if you stay in them too long.

21st Timber, 32.
While smoothing those logs to be made into planks I realized I haven't done any carpentry. So I set up a workshop and made a superior smooth wooden buckler. I would have liked to make a more full shield, but I can't figure it out. Holding a buckler should be better than just holding nothing in my right hand.

28th Timber, 32.
I've finally gotten started on the building of the entrance. I have nowhere near enough materials yet, but I can't just sit and polish wood all day so I decided to just see what I could do with what I have.

Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #230 on: December 23, 2014, 08:52:11 pm »

I made Mr. Deepforked the official Overlord now. Lets see how smart that was.  8)

He is amazingly agile, basically unbreakable and strong. 
He has a feel for music, good creativity, the ability to focus and a sum of patience. 
He feels strong urges and seeks short-term rewards.  He is very distant and reserved. 
The ruler of the dungeon. He reigns supreme from the throne room and oversees the construction of the tower, the building of an army and the terrorization of the good people of the world. Evil always finds a way.

Edit:
Seriously I don't understand this, there's a workshop called Dice and the only option is *Clear the socket* then there's the warpstone dice in a display case.
He build a decoration, look at your furnace menu, at the very bottom. Decorational socket. You build one, and you can make it look like a lot of different decorations. Its purely ornamental. "Clear the socket" turns it back into default, so you can use some other icon for it if you want. I think the previous player just added it for decorational/story.

Dice are also crafts that you can make in the craftsmans workshop.

Btw, Elves are "at peace with wildlife", they wont attack the Nith. And most of the cavern monsters are nice to the elves too.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 08:59:35 pm by Meph »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 23, 2014, 08:57:05 pm »

Good job Meph, i really like the way the succubi fort was designed.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 23, 2014, 09:05:11 pm »

Btw, Elves are "at peace with wildlife", they wont attack the Nith. And most of the cavern monsters are nice to the elves too.
Well, I just said elves because as far as the hermit knows the elves are the only ones who're trying to kill him. I'm sure the niths will work out against the dwarves, gnomes, humans, warlocks, kobolds, orcs, goblins, drow, succubi, and frost giants. I'm pretty sure the at peace with wildlife token only works on creature with the natural token and I feel most of the cavern creatures aren't really natural. Even if it doesn't work though it'll probably be fun.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Vozhban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 24, 2014, 01:04:04 am »

Seriously I don't understand this, there's a workshop called Dice and the only option is *Clear the socket* then there's the warpstone dice in a display case.

I've built that decorational socket to see what can be done with it. Then I saw it can be turned into a dice decoration. I thought that would use an actual item to complete, but it didn't. So I simply decided to keep it there to have something in that corner.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #234 on: December 24, 2014, 10:48:18 am »

☼Autumn Year 2☼ - Warlocks

The Teal Murder has a new Overlord. Appointed in the throne room, the Warlock Deepforked has been officially made into THE OVERLORD! *side conditions include 250% increase in physical attributes and a mean temper, warranty not included.

He is amazingly agile, basically unbreakable and strong. 
He has a feel for music, good creativity, the ability to focus and a sum of patience. 
He feels strong urges and seeks short-term rewards.  He is very distant and reserved. 
The ruler of the dungeon. He reigns supreme from the throne room and oversees the construction of the tower, the building of an army and the terrorization of the good people of the world. Evil always finds a way.

A necromantic altar has been constructed on top of the trade depot. It will allow us to resurrect Warlocks (if you could only get them out of the river first), to reassamble Skeletons (none dead yet. Well... technically yes... but un-dead? Real dead? you know what I mean) and to raise all corpses on the map. (we got... 3 dead animals in the river, thats it)

A great bull has been killed, offering lots of bones for new picks and even more axes. A filthy thief has been caught, Milith Corgararmepindas the Succubus, now residing in a cage. Seems fitting for a Succubus. Another visitor remained unseen, a kidnapper that made off with a tiny ghoul child. Not important, as we managed to animate 8 corpses by now, serving faithfully as zombie workers.

We also added a few workshops, mostly basic things like gemworking and both a chemist and an engineer, who is currently pumping out ethereal sawblades for the shredders. What are shredders you ask? They are workshops with only one goal: Take a resource, grind it down to dust and splinters, ready to be used in alchemical and magical experiments. Candles are in production as well, but the main ingredient is sadly missing: Scalps. Our magic books, tomes of old knowledge and the dark arts, have to be written on the skin of sentient beings. Yet, none attack us. Maybe we should attack them.

The Overlord could order his minions to do raids, but we need raid kits and targets for that. We started making bags and backpacks for our little raiders, but without any intel we can only send them out into the countryside hoping to be lucky. That has to wait though, as construction on the river is slow. Floor. Walls. Roofs. Stairs. All must be made from blocks, stacked hand by hand. Not much progress has been made in that regard.

Early winter approaches, and the Overlord broods over his options. Raid? Or defend? Hunt and kill, spending the blood and bones on rituals? On more zombie and skeleton servants? On ironbone and bloodsteel armor and weapons? So much to do, and so few resources to do it with.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 11:07:58 am by Meph »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #235 on: December 24, 2014, 12:42:44 pm »

Man, gnomes really took a hit, didn't they?  Fighting any reasonably sized creature directly will do that, they're smaller than kobolds.

The Nature Shrine surrounded by fortifications is basically pointless, by the way.  Taming wild animals requires them to be nearby, and able to path to the shrine itself.  It's best to just have one outside and leave the job on repeat.  Gnomes are at peace with wildlife, so most surface creatures won't be a problem.

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 24, 2014, 02:31:56 pm »

I would claim year 2 for dwarfs, but I need to get more familiar with Masterwork first.

Some quick tips:
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 02:33:53 pm by qorthos »

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 24, 2014, 05:03:44 pm »

Would it be okay if I ended my play without finishing Winter? I probably could if I needed to, but I'm going on a vacation with no computers for two weeks starting tomorrow, and today my whole body hurts so I don't really feel like doing anything difficult (I consider this kind of difficult). If it's needed I could take pictures of everything like an overview still.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #238 on: December 24, 2014, 05:22:39 pm »

Would it be okay if I ended my play without finishing Winter? I probably could if I needed to, but I'm going on a vacation with no computers for two weeks starting tomorrow, and today my whole body hurts so I don't really feel like doing anything difficult (I consider this kind of difficult). If it's needed I could take pictures of everything like an overview still.
Yeah, that's ok. Much better than leaving it unfinished. Just upload the save and give a quick tour with the screenshots you mentioned. :)

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 24, 2014, 05:31:59 pm »

Very annoying that i can't screenshot, tried a few different things but i'm not getting anywhere and usually in my writeups i add quite a few, so really a bummer.

Humans

Bigheaded the Cheesy's Journal Continues (from http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=146594.msg5894199#msg5894199)

A migrant wave pops in, we've got a good 20 men now, one of which says he's some form of squire and is going to be a knight. As if my thoughts of a Military were read, so i joined him up with the most skilled dwarf i could find.
Spotted the miners heading out 3 miles to a quarry. I suggested somewhere a little closer to home, so that the military should be able to help out should something turn up AND make it slightly easier to extend the walls later on.
Sorted out the well, although it looks a bit stupid being right next to the river, still, some of the others "MUST" use the well for some unknown reason and now arn't poisoning themselves.
Set up a kitchen for some more delicious meals and my Brewery is doing well, not managed to stash any away yet, mostly because i've been sorting other stuff out rather than rooms.
Sent two people to join the one and only Guild we've built, which is the Carpenters Guild, although we do have the knight as mentioned as well as a metalsmith's guild guy (not the one who made the slag morningstar).
The bookkeeper has just kept moaning that his little office isn't good enough. Problem was, was that we don't really make anything which looks pretty so a bit hard to raise the conditions of the room. So i gave it a great amount of thought, POSSESSED to make something which would shut him up.
Decided that of all things to make, i could make a mechanism, i'd seen them do it, but mine would be far more awesome and use 3 stones instead of the usual one. The last thing i needed to make it perfect was some cloth... but not like the stuff we had.
Thankfully again, some traders came by, they were so angry that we didn't have a Depot, that the liason just left. I decided to fix this and get one built and there it was! Cloth made of wool! I grab some and finish off my mechanism.
I was pretty happy with it and had drawn the beginnings of our settlement on it: The Barbed bands of Yawning Union, deciding to settle here in Year 31. I also decided to draw some dwarves looking very petty on it, to show how much better humans were.
I told the local mechanic to make a completely useless lever for the bookkeeper out of it and dumped it in his room. He seems delighted about it, which is just as well.

Coming now into Autumn, we had the first big SCARE since i was in charge, some half man half lizard ran in and bashed our best trader to death, i sent out the military but the main two were just sleeping and the only one available was a recruit with a copper spear. He stabbed the lizard a couple of times but then was BITTEN in the arm and shaken around by it, opening the artery, so i'm a bit worried about him, may have to assign him to the bookkeepers office and lock the door and see what happens to him.

I began construction of some housing, but trying to build it inside the walls is more of an issue that i first thought, it looked so ugly i decided to cancel it for the time being.

After these incidents, i wouldn't surprise they changed me for someone else come Winter, but as i'm still in charge i will do as i see best until then.

Upto 24 people so far, including the bitten recruit. We have a lot of fish, but apparently the fishmongers arn't interested in it once it's been processed, which is rather weird. We have a large amount of strawberries and plants though which they are willing to take, so financially looking pretty good. Also managed to get a small area of underground farming up, and purchased some plump helmets & sweet pods, brewed them (which gives you seeds back) and planted the seeds.

Alas Winter has arrived and will soon see if they put someone else in charge.

Nothing particularly scary happened. Military is slightly better equipped, i've set it so that you can add to the 2nd military and they should "generally" start to spar more than train, but separating into groups of two is still more efficient.

The guy who was bitten by the werebeast is currently locked in the bookkeepers study with some food and drink. He hasn't transformed yet so it may not have transferred.

As i said i changed where the location of quarrying, in the hope that when we reach ground level we can use that surface to build on. You can quarry elsewhere if you prefer.

Other than that, i don't think i really achieved very much sadly. I REALLY disliked the labours on everyone being set to do everything, i personally get specialists. I left most people on farming and fishing though, so that if they went inactive they had "something" to do.

The save is here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=10311

Just reading the two posts above, was i supposed to finish winter? Confused.
Anyway, i'll speak with Than402, we'll decide between us if he's taking over now or if he wants me to finish winter ;)
I may take a year later on, but writing up really isn't that same without pictures from me, the only way i'd be able to screenshot is if i take picture with my phone of the screen, which isn't the same :P
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 43