Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 43

Author Topic: ☼Battle of the 8 Armies☼ - Looking for players (Who wants some Waaaaagh?)  (Read 119777 times)

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Battle of the 8 Armies☼ - Succubus Player wanted for Year3 :)
« Reply #345 on: December 29, 2014, 12:34:45 am »

Whoops! My second update was actually summer. Can you please change it, Meph?

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 29, 2014, 12:34:55 am »

Warlocks, Spring of Year 3

1st of Granite

So, apparently I’m taking over this place for the time being. I’m not sure why, but I guess I’ll have to make the best of it by devouring as many souls as I can. In any case, I’ve decided that the best thing to do is continue building the tower. We might even add another level onto it for a library, which should be helpful from the soul-devouring point of view.

16th of Granite

A skeleton has created Usma Sakor, a sand dice. It’s pretty, but our Keeper of Knowledge won’t tell me how much it’s worth.

25th of Granite

My minions report that they’ve finally caught something on one of their kidnapping sprees. With any luck it’ll be something useful, but I imagine they’ll have an elf child and expect praise for it.

6th of Slate

We set about torturing the prisoner that our minions brought back today, but... well someone got over enthusiastic and broke their new toy. We didn’t really learn much aside from the full rotational range of an elf’s elbow.

10th of Slate

I’ve finally begun on my soul eating spree. I am become death, destroyer of worlds. Or killer of people who irk me. More likely the latter.

1st of Felsite

The skellythingies discovered a system of caverns deep under the earth while I had them digging for ores and gems:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have sent them to look for ores and gems elsewhere.

Felsite also appears to be the national month of 'Hey, let's all go on holiday and let someone else do our work for us!' On the other hand, I have to admire Zhef Tersheyshsh... that child's work ethic.

Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 29, 2014, 01:19:02 am »

☼Dwarves☼ - Year 2, Autumn.

Autumn passed peacefully, with the dwarven traders coming from the mountain home. Surprisingly, they brought a barrel full of cheese. Hmmmm.
An area was dug out for coffins to be placed in.

This was because of the casualties taken in the forest spider attack. No cage traps yet, unsurprisingly. Cage traps are something I suppose I really ought to look into.

The caves have shown no signs of aggressiveness. Yet. The caverns have yet to become ours.

The curtain wall has been completed. Not completely sure if climbing and jumping is in 34.11. Still going to put a roof on, because attacks can be made from the hill overlooking the fortress.

Traded mostly for metals this season. Traded for a crate of iron, worth 1600-odd Urists. What do I do with these? I hope it was worth it.

Level 100/Main work area

Level 95/Bedrooms

Level 94/Crypts

Level 82/Cave Floor

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 29, 2014, 01:28:38 am »

Fantastic.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 29, 2014, 02:30:47 am »

I'll grab succubi year 3, this will go very well. (it won't)

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: December 29, 2014, 02:56:14 am »

Feel free to tell me how to build more space efficient crypts.  :)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: December 29, 2014, 03:16:48 am »

One "shift-diagonal" big room with 121 coffins in it?  How many dead dwarves are you expecting? ;)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 29, 2014, 03:37:06 am »

Kobolds: Spring, 32
(year 2, part 2)

Granite, 32

Smakemupagus looked over her kobold clan's village of Scronabanaba, where several new medium and large tents were being staked out.  The tents were just empty multipurpose structures at the moment; in a few days she'd have to go back and give the workers some more specific instructions about what crafts to pursue.  She had quite a list prepared: leather armor and shields, bone pointy sticks and bola throwers.  Smakemupagus expected that there would be enemy war parties scouting around Scronabanaba very soon, and her people needed to start training to defend themselves from hostile foreigners.

"Agh! Why is everything stacked up nowhere?"  Very few supplies were properly stockpiled yet.  She didn't really care one way or the other about goods cluttering the workshops, but the disorganed state of the raw material stocks was a serious problem for the crafters. "The cut wood lies where it falls in the forest! Get it inside the pallisade!" She barked at the clan, trying to help them understand the urgency, but these village kobolds seemed oblivious to all dangers.

She motioned to her 'pack' to follow - five young Earth-sign toughs who signed on to spar in pairs a couple times per month, and to help Smakemupagus patrol the grounds.  Together they examined the entire perimeter of the pallisade, which enclosed a huge warren, enough ground for hundreds of kobolds to live someday.  "These jack-rats should go inside soon," Smak growled.  "Elf bows on that ridge above could kill the whole herd easily, and snipe the rat-herders besides."  Still, she thought, it was good that their main living area in the valley was behind the rise, out of the direct line of sight.  Someday, perhaps, this hill side could be a strong point, with a warren bristing with fortifications, or even a tower on top from which kobolds could duel foriegn rangers as equals! 

Slate, 32

She sighed, and they moved on for now.  They had a more urgent problem: a 3-urist gap in the western wall.  A few kobolds even now were poking around with some of their few remaining blocks, fitting a bridge that would nicely seal the breach, while others packed up the trade depot and brought it inside. "Quickly now! Make a lever in a safe place in the inner warren!" Her crafts-kobolds returned her urgent stare with a blank look.  "Lever!  Is made from mechanisms!  Needed to close the bridge!"  More empty stares. "Mechanisms! Made from stones!"

Finally, they understood a bit, and a young crafts-pup spoke up.  "Ah, stones!  Yes mum, I remember we had some of those last year.  All out now I think.  Too bad all the shovels are broke, yes mum!"

Smakemupagus felt a twinge of panic as a scout reported a cloud of dust on the horizon, moving fast in their direction.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 03:51:45 am by smakemupagus »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 29, 2014, 05:32:39 am »

Kobolds, Spring/Summer 32
(year 2, part 3)

Felsite, 32

To the entire clan's great relief, the cloud of dust was kicked up not by any sort of bloodthirsty raiders, but by good kobold migrants.  A huge pack. Once welcomed inside, more than doubled the population of the camp.  Fortunately, there was plenty of fish and other food already put aside, enough to feed the newcomers for years.  This bit of a scare helped the rest of the clan come around to Smakemupagus' point of view that the great gap in the wall represented a real security problem, and luckily, there were now more than enough paws to do the work.  One team turned out a big pile of shovels from the (rapidly dwindling) stocks of wood, while a second group dug with great excitement, expanding their living space while extracting the critical stone boulders from the cave walls.  The shovels didn't last too long, but fortunately only about 3 of the stones were needed really badly. Haulers grabbed these immediately, and raced the heavy stones up to a stockpile near the work areas.

The clan cleared some outdoor space for farms, and planted some wood stalks as insurance against the chance of a long siege.  Smakemupagus knew that kobold textile workers indentured to the orcish clans could make a useful wood-like product from these twiggy quick-growing herbs, and she hoped that the crafters here in Scronabanaba knew the same technique.  If nothing else, they could look forward to brewing some stalk whisky! But that was a problem for months in the future.

The materials for the new West Gate were in place.  Now there was nothing left to do but watch the poor kobold 'mechanics' as they pawed  at the lever, and stared dismally at the bridge, and finally attempted to jam the crude mechanisms into place a dozen different ways.  Their efforts had already cost days, or weeks even.  Their simple minded confusion would be very funny, if not for the mortal peril!

The ranchers of Scronabanaba positioned a pack of fierce badgers at the still-empty gate.  The new migrants, happy to contribute to the security of their new home, proudly stationed their ogre bodyguard and a pair shalswars there too. Some of the naive young kobolds drafted into Smakemupagus' militia felt so bold, even with their crude pointy sticks and crude soft leather jerkins, that they openly wished for an enemy to come.  Surely the Ogre would smash any invader to bits! and the brave kobolds could help the Ogre, and then pick up any shiny jewelry left behind!  But Smak knew the simpleminded brute ogre would be no match for an Uruk, or a Legion-Dwarf, or even an...

Hematite, 32

"Hooooooooooww!! Elfs!! Ambush!!  Elfs with knives!!  Invisible Elfs with knives!!"  But there was at least one with a bow too, for several of the jack-rats were squealing, or dead.  A couple kobold ranchers came howling down from the little hill where they had been tending the rats -- thankfully they were all Air-signs, and had the presence of mind to vanish into the shadows.  Even more importantly, they spied the invaders early enough to save the village.  Smak shot a glare at the mechanics, who gave back a half-hearted positive signal and pulled the untested, rickety lever.  A hundred seconds ticked by, the mechanisms straining, and finally the bridge groaned shut.  Could they dare think that the camp was safe?  Sure, with that bow-ranger on hand, the elves could keep them pinned inside the pallisade for months, but with fresh food and water, they were safe! 

But it could not be so... "AMBUSH!!," this time the scout's howl of alert was much closer.  Inside the palisade.  A dazzling flash of silver and one, two, three of the watchful badgers were torn apart in a merciless whirl of blades.  The other beast guardians decended on the invader, but their ferocious teeth and claws finding no grip at all on the elf's mithril hide.

The elves were cornered -- only two bladedancers, cut off fatally from their kin by the mechanical Gate, and now badly outnumbered and surrounded.  Their kriss weaving faster than any mortal eye could see, they cut a bloody swath from the gate to the first building at hand -- the Kobold Druid's sacred sweat lodge.  Smakemupagus grabbed her gear, let loose a primal yell, and charged, flanked by 9 novice spear-pups.  They were followed by a pack 30 raw recruits, just a few armed with bolas. If they kobolds of Scronabanaba wanted to save their slumbering druid Asmoth, they were in for a fight, tooth and claw.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 05:41:36 am by smakemupagus »

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 29, 2014, 09:28:48 am »

Pencil_Art: did you know that masons can build whole bedroom sets (door, bed, chest, cabinet) in the furniture maker with stone (eta:) blocks?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 12:04:31 pm by qorthos »

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 29, 2014, 11:10:57 am »

Which version is this, 6.1 or 6.2

When I try to extract the save, it says  it  cannot open the  file as an archive.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 11:17:33 am by Urist Mc Dwarf »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #356 on: December 29, 2014, 11:13:50 am »

Which version is this, 6.1 or 6.2

Whoops! My second update was actually summer. Can you please change it, Meph?
Done. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: December 29, 2014, 05:03:26 pm »

Kobold, Autumn/Winter 32
(year 2, part 4)

Malachite, 32

Nearly every able-bodied kobold of Scronabanaba rushed forward to their sacred sweat lodge, yipping and howling.  One of the junior druids was already beyond help, torn to shreds while hibernating by the blades of the two elvish assassins, but the high-druid Asmoth yet lived.  Smakemupagus and the other 9 fighters of her pack led the charge, confident in their bonerattle and leather armor and superior numbers.  They decended on the elves in righteous fury, raining blows from all angles with their pointy sticks, but the fine elvish armor was more than proof against the kobolds' primitive weapons.  The elves' knives flashed in the moonlight and two kobolds fell dead.

"Dodge and bob, pups!  Help is coming!" Warleader Smakemupagus barked.  She banged her crude spear against her buckler and settled in for the block-and-thrust defense that came naturally to kobolds of her birthsign, the Turtle.  Block, Stab!  A fine hit, but it glanced from the elven mail.  She winced as two more of her pack were sliced, badly wounded, but they still lived.  Perhaps the bit of training, or the scraps of bonerattle armor, had saved their lives.  Block, Stab!  This time at least the elf grunted in pain.  The second squad of kobolds arrived, wielding bola throwers, and a volley of missles filled the air.  The elf facing Smakemupagus was stricken and stumbled for just a moment, and it was all the opening the kobolds needed.  A mass of a dozens consripted kobolds swarmed on the elf, biting and clawing, keeping the assassin pinned down.  Smakemupagus barked in triumph, little knowing that most of the bola throwers hadn't equipped their quivers yet, and no second volley would come to tear at the other elf.  And, then the world went dark.

Galena, 32

Druids Asmoth and Shononi were now awake, and visited the new catacombs.  "How many died to slay the elves?"  Asmoth asked.  The young kobold accompanying him blinked, not particularly adept at questions involving numbers.  He held up two paws and waggled around all his fingers.  "How many still in the hospital?"  One paw, all the fingers.  Asmoth sighed -- there was no cloth, and precious little wood for splints and crutches.  With the 10-strong elven siege still standing outside, it wasn't clear whether there would be any caravans this year.  "How did Warleader Smakemupagus fall?"

This question the young warrior knew how to answer!  "We knew you'd want to know.  Sure, we carved the whole story here in the tomb, we did!"  <Smakemupagus was appointed warleader of Scronabanaba. The kobolds are cheering>, read the crude leather statue.  <Killed by an elf in Scronabanaba in 32>, read the slab.  "The whole village was torn up for a week, we was."  Kobolds are a resilient bunch, though, and the clan was already entirely back to work a few weeks later.  Asmoth judged that there was no further danger of deadly tantrums.

The most puzzling thing was the official report of the chaos at the end battle.  According to the warriors, in their most desperate moment, with the blood of a dozen kobolds dripping from the assassin's kriss, a great Spirit Bear had arisen.  An avatar of vengeance, rewarding the brave kobolds for their defense of the sacred Spirit Lodge, overpowered the wounded, dangerous elf and mauled it into submission.  Noone remembered actually seeing this happen, but it was recorded in the combat logs!

Asmoth could hear the distant screams of a migrant kobold band who had wandered into the ambush.  They could hardly risk opening the West Gate.  With a deadly elven bowdancer leading the assassins, he feared to even try to help by expose the clan's novice bola throwers on the wall.  Ferocious snarls could be heard as the migrants' honeybadgerman guards charged, and the kobolds held out some hope that the elves would soon lose thier appetite for war.

Limestone, 32

The elves were gone, and the kobolds of Scronabanaba cautiously opened the West Gate, with the militia standing tentatively at guard.  A few of the migrants survived in the countryside - a couple half-starved Air-signs hid in the forest, relying on their stealth, and an angry but well-fed Dartfrog was living off fresh fish down by the river.  The migrant's Honeybadgerman guard even managed to die in a heap containing several elf parts and a mithril kriss.

The migrants were shortly followed by a very welcome caravan, bearing metal weapons and some guard ogres, and many bales of cloth which were urgently needed in the hospital.  There was very little wood, though, Asmoth noted with some annoyance.  He met with two different kobold tradekeepers, one who grumbled about having to wait through the Druid's seasons of hibernation.  Asmoth told them both that Scronabanaba still needed cloth, seeds, and especially wood from home.

Sandstone, 32

The kobolds took on with great enthusiasm several of the projects that their gruff warleader had begun earlier in the year -- a little  wharf for fishing, a scout tower on the hilltop to protect their rangers in the future, and a shallow cave off of the main valley to safely keep the jack-rat herd.  Most of all, they worked hard at training with spear, dagger, and bola.

More migrants arrived, and the clan expanded to 59 adult kobolds and 11 young!  The migrants were put to work as woodcutters, herb gatherers, and especially masons to finish the hilltop tower.

Timber, 32.

The survivors of the elven ambush urged the crafters to continue their work on more suits of leather armor and quivers.  Shovels were issued to many kobolds, who greatly expanded the caves on the valley floor, any many of the craft industries were moved into these sheltered nooks.

Moonstone, 32.

Several succubus pup-snatchers, and a pack of nymphs attempted to slip through Westgate.  The militia had a lot more confidence, after a season of training, and the bola throwers and war-training ogres collaborated to kill these invaders without much danger.  The thieves' fine daggers were brought with pride to the simple armory, where they were greatly admired alongside the treasured elven kriss.  All these deadly weapons were issued to some deserving recruits, who gladly put aside their crude bone spears.

Opal, 32.

More troublesome varmints including forest imps plague the countryside.  The kobolds know that they will need to add some traps, or animals to provide early warning across the countryside, or to improve the great palisade with more fortified platforms for the bola throwers to stand guard.  But, some of these problems would have to wait until next year.  The clan worked hard on their ongoing projects, especially the new hilltop tower.

Obsidian, 32.

Finally, the new tower was complete! as was the new barracks cavern, complete with a training ground for the bola-throwers.  The industrious Eel-signs and their fisher gremlin pets hauled fish by the hundred from the river, and the clan greatly expanded the scale of their fish-packing operation.  The jack-rats were led down to their new cave, near the butchers' field and the leatherworkers' stocks.  No longer fearful and living day-to-day, the crafters were allowed to pursue some projects for comfort, and they finished the beds, cabinets, and other furniture which had been ordered long ago by druid Asmoth for the living warrens.  Finally, as a New Spring celebration, a new set of fine crafted wood tables and chairs were added to the living warrens, and a party was organized at the wooden table! 

Thus ended in peace and prosperity the year 32; Year 2 of the kobold village at Scronabanaba.

Westgate lever is marked with a (N)ote by the way, although you'll probably see it in a little cubby in the long straight corridor that opens into the valley.

Save file - Kobold Year 3 Start
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=10353
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 04:11:33 pm by smakemupagus »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 29, 2014, 05:39:10 pm »

Is it wrong that I'm tempted to claim another year of Orcs just to get my stuff back? :P

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 29, 2014, 06:11:40 pm »

☼Dwarves☼ - Year 2, Winter.

Well, this.

Then the traders guards took care of it for me. Thanks for the free super soldier, guys!
The Forest giant came through the door on the eastern side of the wall. I requested for the hole to be patched up with a wall.

Speaking of traders, here is the trade agreement:

What is this massive pile of ore doing here?

We have a were beast epidemic on our hands, guys. Dang.
Well, actually, I am not sure. The werebeasts didn't get close to any civilians, except for the ones that spotted them in the first place, who are now dead. Checking through the records of battle straight afterwards, I do not seem to find any werebeasts teeth piercing any skins.
Luckily, this time, all those, if any, who were infected were killed as well.

Plus, a lot of tantruming has made fellow dwarves kill each other. Whoops

Domas has gone mad. Luckily not one of our more useful dwarves, being a rusty fish cleaner. In total, we lost 6 dwarfs in the attack, bringing our population down to 49. Lost 3 Axedwarfs and one of the Farmers with hammers.

Hey! It looks like two werewolves escaped my notice! They have transformed and are now terrorizing the fortress

Well. Good luck dealing with the latest transformations, next person. I probably put off everybody who wanted to play the next turn.

Level 100/Main work area.

Level 95/Bedrooms.

Level 94/Crypts.

Locations of Werewolves:

Both werewolves were previous military members. Block up the entrance to the fortress! Keep the werewolves away! Last warning!

Download link: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=10354
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 12:00:04 am by Pencil_Art »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 43