Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: New Curses Game Idea  (Read 5288 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: New Curses Game Idea
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2007, 11:05:00 pm »

Oooo, look at all the dangerous windows!  No safety to be had in that home.  No safety to be had anywhere...
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Jusal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2007, 06:16:00 am »

Good luck on the project, got me interested.

About the turning & line of sight problem: URW had a nice system to handle it the last time I checked. The game itself is something of a graphical roguelike.

Actually here is a good screenshot about the line of sight.

[ June 10, 2007: Message edited by: Jusal ]

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2007, 09:35:00 am »

Great to hear this game is progressing even after all this time, although I'm a bit disappointed it isn't gonna be ASCII anymore. For some reason I think ASCII would have been much more atmospheric for this kind of game, leaving more to the imagination.

[ June 10, 2007: Message edited by: Aristharus ]

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

silentnight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2007, 02:20:00 am »

one quick question...
will you be able to use stuff found in the home to block access points...if only to give the smallest sense of security? though, of course, the zombies could break through your blockade with a little effort. (otherwise it would just be easy)

Harlander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2007, 07:00:00 am »

That's the idea, yeah. Smashing up furniture to get planks to nail to the doors and windows, maybe moving furniture to block doorways, etc. The metaphor for destroying terrain items isn't fully fleshed out in code terms, but bashing open doors and windows is essential, and might even break down walls if you have enough bashing-force.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2007, 09:13:00 pm »

As a professional zombie hunter, I'm really looking forward to this. Normally I would not so brazenly declare my skill level in this, but I've been unstoppable in zombie games as of late and I'm starting to actually believe that I'm the Chosen One, put on Earth to combat an eventual zombie invasion!

Woo, it's no longer ASCII but it looks good still. How is it going, working with Java now as opposed to Python? I've heard a lot of good and bad about Java.

Harlander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2007, 06:43:00 am »

Java's 2D graphics API is very easy to use but the main advantage of it for me is its similarity to C++. Python is different in various fundamental ways, and I had trouble getting my head around it. Java IDEs are at  a higher level of development than most C++ IDEs I've seen - I favour Eclipse myself - and the GUI design tools make things easy for a lazy swine like myself.

Harlander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2007, 02:32:00 pm »

Progress!

The first pass of the metatile editor is done!
Now I can make a bunch of 'em, put 'em together into a map, and have a guy walking around in it.

Once I've done the bits to do those last two things, that is.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2007, 03:45:00 pm »

I've always wanted to write a sort of simple, old console style RPG, but I could never decide how to go about it, what language to use and so on. Like an old Dragon Quest / Final Fantasy or even Wizardry style game. Sort of a homage.

Maybe Java is the way to go. At least it's cross-platform!

4bh0r53n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?c=1&mforum=abhorsengames
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2007, 04:06:00 pm »

at the moment, im doing a text-based rpg using java

[ June 14, 2007: Message edited by: 4bh0r53n ]

.B.H.O.R.S.E.N.: Abhorrent, Bloodthirsty, Hitchhiker-Obliterating Ravager from the Sunless Enchanted Necropolis

I dont explode Cats, its way to hard to coax them into the microwave...

Future

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2007, 05:48:00 am »

This game sounds good, its one i have been looking for for ages but all the ones i come across always have something wrong with them.
I remember playing that urban dead game a couple of days ago but i couldnt carry on playing because of that ap thing and the fact that it only recharged one ap every half an hour. Like the graphics btw.

Harlander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2007, 05:17:00 pm »

Progress on milestone two:

The metatiles are now built up into a small (117x117 tile) map to test generation.

Next bits:
Basic map display
Guy moving around the map
Remembering seen areas
Facing / LoS

Harlander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2007, 09:24:00 am »

Progress report:

MILESTONE TWO: "A guy moving around the map" COMPLETE

Map generation, player control, and moving about the map are done. Directional shadowcasting is in too. (You only see what's within 90 degrees of the way you're facing.)

The player looks out of a ground-floor window to a small park

The greying out of known, but currently unseen areas, is a little subtle right now. I might replace it with something else, maybe not. I also intend to do more tiles (wall types other than brick might be nice) and more metatiles (the buildings). I also want to rope some poor chumps.. er, willing contributors.. into making metatiles, so there's more variety.

Next stop: ZOMBIES!

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2007, 02:44:00 pm »

Sweet!

Good job!

When will this be available for beta? Could I be a beta tester?

Will there be a day/night cycle? Have you implememnted other survivors?

Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Harlander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2007, 06:54:00 am »

Beta testing.. there's a couple of milestones to go before then, really, but I will be looking for contributors to make metatiles and such. (Or if anyone feels generous and wants to draw some more tiles..) Anyone interested could take part in the testing, when I've got it to a point where I'm willing to draw a line and call it 1.0.

I'd thought about dynamic lighting and diurnal cycles, but that's been pushed back up the agenda for the moment.

There's no mobiles of any kind in yet. That's the next stage, really.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4