Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves teleporting through drawbridges?  (Read 1658 times)

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves teleporting through drawbridges?
« on: February 19, 2015, 03:42:29 am »

Hi! I have a question.

My military is setup in a room next to my Werebeast soldiers. The rooms are separated by a 2x1 drawbridge which is connected to a lever, and raised. In the ceiling of the Werebeast room is a hole where I dump down booze and weapons. The tunnel to the hole is closed with a Forbidden door.

And yet, somehow occasionally a soldier will find himself inside the werebeast room, with no way to get out.
The only way I could see this happening is if he went through the drawbridge while sparring. I've noticed that they occasionally toss throw each other around when they do that. Can a flying dwarf go through a retracted drawbridge when there's solid rock above it? Is this a known mechanic or should I investigate some more and possibly report it as a bug?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 01:36:46 am by Magnus »
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

Redgaia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves teleporting through drawbridges?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 04:04:33 am »

Well, given that the drawbridge is 2x1, my immediate suspicion is that a sparring dwarf has dodged away from a blow, and moved diagonally downwards into the werebeast pit square rather than a more sane location. I mean, we already know that you can dodge off a cliff, so it'd make a certain amount of sense that diagonal movements like that would happen sometimes, though I haven't tested this in adventurer mode to be sure. Effectively, in a three dimensional coordinate system like DF, where diagonal movement is possible, your drawbridge might not actually be covering the pit as well as you'd think.

Mostly speculation on my part, but try making the drawbridge 3x3 and see if the issue persists?
All I do, I do for !!SCIENCE!!

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 04:18:25 am »

Sparring dwarves teleporting through walls is a known bug.
And since a raised drawbridge is treated as a wall...
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 04:38:20 am »

Aaaah, bugger. Time for some more engineering then. Thanks for clearing that up.
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 05:32:25 am »

Aaaah, bugger. Time for some more engineering then. Thanks for clearing that up.
Just leave at least 1 tile wide rim of flat ground around each barracks building.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 06:41:41 am »

Wait, so is it a raising or retracting drawbridge between the rooms?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 09:10:34 am »

Teleporting sparring dwarves seem to occur during charges, yes.

You just need more than 1 tile of wall between your barracks and Fun places. 2 walls should work, and I would assume several tiles of wall would work.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 03:00:53 pm »

I just had a macedwarf and a hammerdwarf teleport through a constructed wooden wall out of my barracks (1 Z above ground level) falling into my disused rhino pastures that have been overrun by 100ish zombies. 

Their sparring report reads:
"The Macedwarf charges at the Hammerdwarf!"
"The Macedwarf collides with the Hammerdwarf!"
"They tangle together and tumble forward!"
"The Hammerdwarf/Macedwarf collides with an obstacle!" (the ground, outside the barracks, 1 z down)
"The Hammerdwarf/Macedwarf stands up."
"The Hammerdwarf/Macedwarf is no longer stunned."

I just noticed them while accidentally going to reports instead of announcements.  They crushed a few skulls, but they're not legendary yet and there's over 100 well armed zombies out there, they went down to shield bashes and maces pretty quickly.  The hammerdwarf managed to make legendary just moments before he died.  I will give him an awesome slab, and a kickass tomb whenever I retake the surface.

I suppose I should probably move my barracks underground...

But anyways, has anyone taken a closer look at the sparring reports in instances of teleportation?  Is it just that charge that's necessary, or do they need to collide and tumble?  Is it only ever 2 dwarves that make it through, or if one charges and the other dodges, does the charger go through the wall, or perhaps the dodger dodges through it?

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 03:07:08 pm »

You just need more than 1 tile of wall between your barracks and Fun places. 2 walls should work, and I would assume several tiles of wall would work.

Sparring dwarves can phase through at least two solid tiles. I haven't seen them make it through three yet...

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 03:34:13 pm »

Sparring dwarves can phase through at least two solid tiles. I haven't seen them make it through three yet...
I use at least one space around barracks and then one tile thick wall, no dwarven quantum tunnelling seen yet. I wonder if one free space + one wall equals two walls in this sparring tunnelling.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)