Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: With Pen and Ink, Strike the Parchment!  (Read 7027 times)

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
Re: With Pen and Ink, Strike the Parchment!
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2015, 07:45:58 am »

I think if you save the game and close it you can alter the Rams of the region itself (not the nomral de Raws the raws in save files, give the cougar

[trainable] for hunting and war
Or you can make it so it's only for hunting or war......

You can do this for things like fire snakes and magma crabs to but you will also need to add [pet exotic] to it so they can be captured and tamed

Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

ykcud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2015, 05:15:29 pm »

I want to avoid altering the raws for this project.

ykcud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2015, 06:06:51 pm »

Your dwarf becomes ever the more interesting.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2015, 09:12:41 pm »

nice....shame its not silver or platnium....what it look like?
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

ykcud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2015, 11:02:47 pm »

ykcud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2015, 02:23:08 am »

I am considering having outside help for the well as it is not filling at all despite water flowing into it. I looked for a solution online, but am stumped. Should I do so for the project?

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2015, 01:00:37 pm »

How did you design the well? If you put it on DF map-site (I forgot what it is called), we could look at your plans, and see what is wrong.
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

ykcud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2015, 03:37:23 pm »

Without the tool (I am searching for it as of right now) I will describe the well:

The main part of the well is an enormous reservoir. 33 by 33 and 3 high. At the top most layer there is a whole where the water is flowing in, albeit slowly. This whole is located at the bottom right corner. The stone on the inside of the reservoir is smoothed. The tunnels caring the water snake and reach up to 6 addition levels to the orgin of the water source which is a river. In these tunnels are a single wall grate and a floodgate at the top most level and just before the water drops off into the reservoir another floodgate. The water itself is indeed flowing into the reservoir but is only staying in a small portion of the bottom right corner where the water is dropping from the tunnel. It does not exceed 2 levels of depth and the majority of it is 1 level deep. Around the water is both piles of mud as well as dustings. There is two wells that connect in the center.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2015, 03:44:54 pm »

The DF map site is Dwarf Fortress Map Archive or DFMA in short.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/

From the sound and looks of it, your well cistern is WAY too BIG for the water source you are drawing it from.

I always pave the inside floor of the well with stone block floors to prevent muddying as well as to prevent unsightly moss and tree growth, something I learned from making multiple waterworks for my forts that don't choke over time. You'll want to pave stone floors over everything that the water comes into contact with though, including the interior of the pipelines and the floor that supports the pumps. Your game, your call.

If you want to retain your mega well, increase water intake. More pipelines from the east. I think 3 more will be barely enough to cover the right side in water, but... you'll need to pump continuously i think. But really I doubt it will work. I make underground pastures 31x31 and it takes years even with continuous pumping for the water to reach from one end to the other, much less fill it to the brim.

BUT REALLY YOUR CISTERNS ARE BIGGER THAN MY GRAZING PASTURES. I would suggest 2 separate well cisterns 5x5 and 2 z-levels deep or no bigger than 12x12 and 2 z-levels deep. Wall up if you have to.

I understand that us dwarf overseers like to make excessively huge megaprojects, but this is just impractical.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 04:11:37 pm by Zuglarkun »

ykcud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2015, 04:14:00 pm »

From the sound of it, your well cistern is WAY too BIG for the water source you are drawing it from, so I assume you are using murky pools.

Water will not dry if it is 3-4 deep and unexposed to outside. A solution is to divert more murky pools, and fill it up 4 deep at least, making sure the murky pools have 3-4 deep water left in them and then wait for winter to freeze the pools. When they thaw, each ice block should give 7 deep water.

Be wary of constructing long pipelines, they will dry out the water before it can reach the well. Put multiple bridges or floodgates to control water flow for long pipelines if you have to. Seems like this is what is happening. BUT REALLY THE CISTERN IS WAY TOO BIG.

As for well construction, usually I draw water from the caverns with pumpstacks into a separate cistern near the hospitals and farms, so it is quite a major undertaking. But once its setup and done, I don't need to fiddle around anymore and can get water at a pull of the lever. I always ALWAYS pave the inside floor of the well with stone block floors to prevent muddying as well as to prevent unsightly moss and tree growth, something I learned from making multiple waterworks for my forts that don't choke over time. You'll want to pave stone floors over everything that the water comes into contact with though, including the interior of the pipelines and the floor that supports the pumps. Though, if well cisterns are at least 2 z-levels deep, then you can prevent dwarfs drinking from muddy water since they always draw from the top z-level of water. The muddy water stays at the bottom z-level.

The DF map site is Dwarf Fortress Map Archive or DFMA in short.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/

Oh wow, didn't mean for it to be this wordy.

The water source is not from murky pools but from a river, with the quality at "water", if that makes sense. Also except for a single winter I had, the water in my area does not freeze. As for the size of the reservoir being too big . . . I can not deign this. I was in the "Came at me bros, wanna lay siege to me? Fine I'll go to my panic room with all the water I will ever need. " attitude. (note that my panic room has a well).

While the pipe lines are long, the water is reaching. Does smoothing the floor do the same as paving it? Because the floor in it is smoothed. Worry not for being "wordy". I will take your advice and make the reservoir smaller and smoothing out the inside of the tunnels where possible.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2015, 04:28:45 pm »

Oops i was still editing my post. Ok so its drinking water quality. No problems there. Smoothing will not help prevent muddying. Only constructing a PAVED stone/wood/metal ROAD helps. I know cause I tried the same thing once before and trees grew in the pipelines and clogged them once i breached the caverns. If you don't breach the caverns you are probably safe from the complications of having mud in your water supply. But i would just do it now and save the trouble later.

I suggest walling up the area you want your wells at and make a series of walls that connect to the pipelines. Pave the bottom of the well at least. Let me dig through my old maps for a schematic.

ykcud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2015, 04:48:59 pm »

Then I shall pave the innards of my well.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2015, 05:03:06 pm »

Zuglarkun hurriedly rummages through a bunch of old papers and pushes some schematics into the surprised arms of the overseer.

"Here! You can peruse these and see if they are of any good to ya, I'll be off making mechanisms to populate the world with now."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2015, 05:06:34 pm »

Yeah, about ~400 cubic ursts of water is enough to water my forts for years without refill. Zuglarkun's design holds about ~610 cubic ursts. Your design requires 3267 cubic ursts of water, which is really overkill. If you ever manage to fill it, you will have a well till the end of time. On the other hand, filling it will just about kill the river, which is a good and a bad thing. If you want to, you could probably start constructing floodgates downstream if you open 3 or more holes.
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

ykcud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2015, 05:12:33 pm »

Killing the river is a no. But I DO want a water supply to sustain 200 dwarfs for a 3 year period, just in case. I will reduce the size of it by half as well as pave it. Also thank you for the designs.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7