Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The joys of returning.  (Read 95 times)

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The joys of returning.
« on: August 21, 2019, 07:54:52 pm »

I remember when I first played Dwarf Fortress, I had read about it on TvTropes and found a pretty good guide that eased me into while still leaving a lot for me to discover, I played and had fun, but I rigorously stuck to the early fortress stragethy the guide had suggested, this caused my early games to slowly turn into a monotonous drivel that was....hard to play. Eventully I just stopped playing. Now, after about a year, I'm back and with me is a newfound creativity and sense of ambition, I think the break was needed as I look back at my early attempts to play and laugh. I remember I used to make my meeting place a temple for convenience, it worked yes, but at what cost?! So, I'm still an new player really, but I can say with 100% sincerity that taking break from this game to shake off any complacently is a very good idea.
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
don't walk past the unoccupied beds to sleep on the floor and then complain about it

Crabs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The joys of returning.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 11:37:58 pm »

I would argue a majority of the fanbase are playing DF on and off. Sure some might actually play it all the time but most probably play until they get bored, wait for the next update or until something inspires them again.

I personally have been doing this since 2012 now and I get my DF rush once or twice a year probably. And I admit that I always play the very same fortress layout and I have yet to get bored of this :D!
Maybe some day I will try a difficult embark and/or a megaproject but I've been having fun for 7 years now the way I do it so I probably won't bother.
(\/) (*o*) (\/)

Mister Crabby the Pincers of Stabbing?

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Today at 10:03:39 am »

this caused my early games to slowly turn into a monotonous drivel that was....hard to play.

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. 

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:32:19 pm »

And that's why you dont stick to guides. think out of the box, there's a lot of fun to be had with... lets say a ballista with a metal tipped head accidentally  facing... the trade depot or the meeting hall. :P
Or a classic, flood the surface with magma. Use a magma pool in the center of the meeting hall to keep everyone warm. Now make it a Inn, serve plently of beer and see how long it takes till the first one slips.

Yes i am in that kind of mood today. *Shrugs* :P