Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Real Life Fortresses  (Read 164 times)

David Jackson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Real Life Fortresses
« on: January 16, 2018, 06:50:08 am »

I came across this YouTube video of some ancient rock-cut temples in India, and thought the community here might appreciate them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4ILp_l10uw

Of course, while they do have a resemblance to what we are doing in Dwarf Fortress, they are rather incredible otherwise.

Hope you like :)

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Real Life Fortresses
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 02:13:13 pm »

I absolutely love cities carved into rock. In my fantasy writing, many of the events actually take place in a city like a really-stylishly-built Fort made by people with a sense of ethics. Complete with the part where it gets a visit from an army of clowns, Megabeasts, Titans, war elephants, etc. (in the past). Then it's reclaimed later (leading to the present), and one plotline is similar enough to visiting the Circus that I actually, upon getting into DF, had a character say "we're in the circus now..." when seeing a horde of demons rush out of catacombs.

My favorite irl city like that is Petra:

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Real Life Fortresses
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 05:01:32 pm »

I came expecting people making IRL Dorf Fortresses.

I don't know, with cardboard or something.

.....if I had a house and/or lawn and not an apartment I know what I would do next halloween!
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!